Dash lights

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Quick question, help a young gun out. 1970 Dart, non rallye dash, is there six dash lights not counting the brake light or five?

I hope this is the right section for this question.

Bump

About o start reassemvly and id love to know missed a bulb, I cant see thr wole gauge cluster and cant get i it out.

Disconnect the battery

Pull the bolts out of the column floor plate, pull the 2 nuts and one bolt out of the column support, after removing the column trim, and drop the column (Should be a third bolt up in by the pedal hanger)

Pull the ammeter nuts, remove the harness connector(s), and the speedo cable. Watch for the harness clips, ease the cluster out and DOWN, IE sort of hinge downward and out. The speedo has sort of a "step" that hangs below

This would be an EXCELLENT time to refurbish the cluster in general

Check, solder, replace, repair the harness connector pins and inspect the harness

Inspect/ repair the ammeter if it's still being used.

Replace the fuel/ temp gauge nuts with real nuts, and loosen/ tighten them to "scrub" the copper clean.

Clean the copper around the bulb sockets, clean or replace the sockets, and bend the contact fingers for better connection

Suspect/ replace the gauge voltage limiter with a solid state one, and pay attention to the VR socket. On my 67, the brass contact fingers in the PC boards were not really connected to the board traces. I had to solder jumpers between the brass contacts and the board traces.

Obviously, inspect or better, replace all the bulbs

Hook a couple of ground pigtails to the board attachment screws, long enough to "get to" and ground it with nut/ bolt to the column support/ dash frame.

It really would not hurt to get some test resistors so you can check the accuracy of the gauges. 10/ 23/ 73 ohms for full/ 1/2 / empty. Sub the resistors for the senders, running the VR off a battery. Cluster must be grounded to batt neg.

I need some bulb holders for the dash lights. I have 3 with broken tabs. any idea where I could find them? or what they are called? so I can search better.

Dash lamp socket,
NAPA part # 787140
If you shop the help line at other part stores take a sample with you.
These little sockets were made in 3 different sizes.

-
Back