Dash mount

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I remember reading a post a few months back about changing the dash mounting screws on a 66 dart that would allow you to take the dash out without removing the windshield. Im ready to put mine back in and want to change it for future removal. Does anyone remember what change was done?
Thanks Rod

Just use your head. I sawed mine off from below, so the screws were ruined. I just "guessed" I think I used 5/8" long screws ? Don't remember. You don't want the screws to impact the gasket much, or they might cause a leak.

Select screws that you can use a starter tool on effectively, deep hex head, or similar

Just reverse the clips. It's easier with two guys, but I managed to do mine alone, an empty shell of a dash.

On a 66 Dart the are no clips. There are tabs coming off the firewall top that the screws tighten into. I guess I will try drilling out the screw holes for short bolts to come up thru, then use nuts in the top side of the dash. With the windshield out and no gasket in place I will just grind the bolt down to even with the nut. I'll have to look and see if I can tack weld the bolts in place to make installing the dash easier as I will be working by myself. My dash already has gauges in place so will have some weight to it. Thanks for the reminder.
Rod

A member here might provide details on the bolts and 'U' nuts used in majority of builds. The threaded neck of the 'U' nut is no taller than the bolts head. If the end of the bolt doesn't come through/stick out of that at tight... you're golden.

-
Back