Dash Pad Question for 75 Duster

-

Tanker

My first Chrysler
Reaction score
My dash pad foam has completely collapsed leaving the pad a shapeless and thoroughly disfigured wreck. As such I can't send it to Just Dashes for restoration. Per the conversation I had with one of their reps when I visited their shop in Van Nuys last week they determine the shape a pad should take based on the good or better portions of the pad that's sent in for rework. My pad has no good portions so they are out of the question. They wouldn't have a clue what to do with it and told me as much. I've read some positive comments about ABC Moparts dash pads, but they don't answer the phone or respond to messages. They also have no address listed on their web site. If not for the numerous good reviews they've been given here I'd wonder if they were even a real company. Anyways, I'll get to the point. I don't want a replacement, I want my dash pad restored so that my original steel core that I know has no issues can be reinstalled. Do I keep waiting for ABC to respond, or can anyone here recommend another shop whose work is equally good?

Hey Tanker,

What year car/make is the dash pad for?

It's a 75 Plymouth Duster. I've had the car since 1981 so I'm more than a little attached to it and I'm trying to get things done right as I go along.

Just buy a good used pad and if you want perfect use that for a core and send it in for rebuild. Color does not matter as they have all the colors to match your interior colors. Post a want ad on here for a good used dash that is still in one piece.
$50-100 for a good core.

I find it hard to believe that Just Dashes doesn't know what a '69-76 A-body dash pad looks like. They've probably restored hundreds if not thousands of those pads. They probably have one they're doing right now that they could use as a contour template.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that Just Dashes doesn't know what a '69-76 A-body dash pad looks like. They've probably restored hundreds if not thousands of those pads. They probably have one they're doing right now that they could use a contour template.
If they had, my dash pad would already be on its way over there. They told me directly that with nothing to go on they would have to guess at the proper shape, and they have no stored records or reference material to fall back on. I was reading comments in the archives a few weeks ago looking for information and another member said that when he got his back from them it looked nice, but the shape wasn't quite correct. I think this is why.

What is the cost of a pad to be redone?
I had mine done by Just Dashes in 2018.

$1050.00 for all three pieces.

Great job and looks factory.

1711658942288.png

Just buy a good used pad and if you want perfect use that for a core and send it in for rebuild. Color does not matter as they have all the colors to match your interior colors. Post a want ad on here for a good used dash that is still in one piece.
$50-100 for a good core.
This is a great suggestion Tanker.

I havent seen your dash pad but they need a good template (your old pad) to go by.

You will get a far superior result by sending them a pad that is in relatively good structural shape.

You are smart to stay away from some of those aftermarket pads and restore an oem pad.

Core is plastic in some and the metal structure is very flimsy in others.

It’s interesting how Just Dashes requires your pad and I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. From 1970 to 1976 Chrysler pumped out over 2.7 million Dart, Demons, Dart Sports, Valiants, Duster and Scamps. Given all the dash pads were the same, why would they need yours to ensure it fits? That’s like a manufacturer saying ‘we can’t sell you a front fender for your car unless you send us yours first. We need to make sure the new fender is shaped like your old one’. Sure there were production line variances given quality control was barely there but really?

Last edited:
It’s interesting how Just Dashes requires your pad and I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. From 1970 to 1976 Chrysler pumped out over 2.7 million Dart, Demons, Dart Sports, Valiants, Duster and Scamps. Given all the dash pads were the same, why would they need yours to ensure it fits? That’s like a manufacturer saying ‘we can’t sell you a front fender for your car unless you send us yours first. We need to make sure the new fender is shaped like your old did’. Sure there were production line variances given quality control was barely there but really?
From how I understand the process, they remove the old vinyl cover. Then, they fill in any low spots or missing pieces and then add and sculpt new foam to mesh with existing foam. think of it like filling a hole in a body panel. When the foam work is completed , they use a vacuum forming process to install the new vinyl cover over the foam.

My pads came back looking absolutely factory appearing.

Worth every cent!!

I watched a show that featured how they do it. They strip it down 100% then new foam completely - shave the foam to fit the contour gauges they made then vacuum the new vinyl. The car show I saw did a firebird dash.

-
Back