Dash pad

-

74dart

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you could explain how to take the dash pad off from my 74 dart? I'm thinking its just bolts, but I'm not sure, never really taken the time to look. And I'm painting the interior of my car to make it all black and if you have any tips or tricks they would be greatly appreciated.

if the instrument cluster is out and the glove box its pretty easy has a screw on each end and a few nuts across the middle

there are 5 bolts through U-nuts attaching the dash to the firewall. These were installed from the top down before the windshield was installed.
You could go under the dash with a die grinder and cut away the bolts and U-nuts but it wont be easy. then to reinstall you would place new U-nuts on the dash and install new bolts from bottom up.

unfortunetly you will not be able to paint all of the dash neatly without removing the window... there is a half inch or so of dash that dips down and is impossible to paint with a window in the car I used a foam paint brush to attempt to paint that half inch or so of dash thats in to front but it dosent come out looking too hot.... good luck I just did my 1974 swinger

100_0721 (2).jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0726.jpg

wow im doing it identical to yours, painting all my interior black, so how did you tape off your window? Ya ill take some pictures of my swinger when before and after I start.

i used 3 cereal boxes and pulled all the seams apart so they were nice and flat then used blue painters tape on the front of the boxes so they would stick to the window and then taped the back of the boxes so they were kept in place.. make sure you dont get any tape on the brown painted part of the dash as to it will pull the paint off when all is said and done the dash came out great aside from the half inch valley and the very bottom of the window where you cant get any paint in

ill have to go take a look at that...hmm, I like the cereal box idea, we were going to use cardboard boxes but those are thicker. Ill make sure to try your way. and do you think I can paint that area were paint wont go with a small paint brush?

nope I tried you will get alot of paint on the window wich is no big deal but without the window being removed you wont get it the window slants funny as well as the dash

ok, well ill see how it looks after we paint as much as we can. thanks man

no problem love the swingers man whats your plans with yours? what size motor does it have? not many people with the 74-76s

Ya same here, It has a 318 and i'm putting in a high performance 318 in a week or so. Painting the interior all black, with white seats for the moment, and later I will be painting the whole car a gloss white with a pearl gloss coat.

very cool man mine is an original 318 car that has been painted sublime green with black interior only thing left is the headliner

Ya mine is original 318 too, so I guess I have a question ive been interested in about the 74 swinger with original 318.

-
Back