Dash problems

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
The last few weeks I've been having some trouble with the dash gauges and lights. Several times, all my instruments acted completely dead except for the Speedo and Alt. It happened when I would first start up the car, then would last 15-20 minutes, after which everything went back to normal. Then last night, my gauges all worked, but I have no dash lights--these did not come back on. Does this sound like one of those problems with the dashboard voltage limiter, or do you think I've got a more serious problem?

Ah, looks like I've got other problems now, too. My tailights (inc. brakes and reverse lights) quit on me tonight. Thinking a short?

Your problem may be at your firewall connection. Check or fix the spade lug connection on the main line coming in to your ammeter.

It would be unbelieveably handy if you would post what year/ model you are working on

Dash lights has nothing to do with the dash limiter

Rear stop/ tail lamps normally has nothing to do with the bulkhead connector, unless there's a short up front,

Some issues with the dash:

The connector pins where the harness connects to the PC board(s) is subject to loose pins or corrosion, or even broken pins

The boards get corroded in many ways including.......

Where the harness connects

where the temp/ fuel gauge studs/ nuts connect

where the screws connect to the dash casting

corrosion where the lamp sockets fit

corrosion where the voltage limiter fits, and the springy fingers that form the "socket" lose connection to the PC board.

Your problem sounds more like a damaged/ melted/ rusted headlight switch connector.

Frankly, I'd pull the switch, the dash, and inspect them both, as well as the fuse box connectors.

Easy, and not that time consuming, take a Sat. afternoon.

You have a shop manual? You can download one for free

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=click+save

Pull the bolts out of the column floor flange, pull the trim under the column, and there's a bolt up in there up near the brake linkage. Then two more nuts on studs that hold the colum up. Remove these and the column should drop down into the seat.

Now find/ feel the speedo drive and remove the cable, and remove the battery ground. Pull the screws and remove the dash cluster.

Headlight switch is a trick. Turn the switch ON, then reach up around the switch and feel for a mechanical button. when you push it, the knob and stem of the switch will come out of the switch.

DO NOT TRY and remove the knob from the stem.

A photo of a generic switch:

86756090.gif

Hey, thanks for the answers, guys. I've narrowed it down to the fuse box, but haven't gotten a chance to dig any deeper. Will let you know what I find.

Since there isn't a fuse in the circuit supplying power to the gauges, you'll have other faults to find. Good luck

-
Back