Dash trim retainers

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
What are the nuts that go on the back of the center trim piece on the dash called? And where can I get them? There is a threaded plastic stud in the back of the panel and I cant find anything that will fit it. It's the center trim piece that goes around the heater controls and radio. Thanks

Just going by your description it sounds like you need a washer lock nut. ACE hardware or any of the big
box stores
4529347-24.jpg

If its 73 and later... What you had was a stamped tin and cadmium plated 3/8 thread cutting nut. They didn't have a washer. they were installed hollow side out/up. They would often strip the final thread that they cut in this hollow tube casting for a stud. We would have to pry away the plastic bezel while spinning the nuts to get them off. Sure you could just use a push on fastener but getting that bezel off again in the future would be even more difficult.

If its 73 and later... What you had was a stamped tin and cadmium plated 3/8 thread cutting nut. They didn't have a washer. they were installed hollow side out/up. They would often strip the final thread that they cut in this hollow tube casting for a stud. We would have to pry away the plastic bezel while spinning the nuts to get them off. Sure you could just use a push on fastener but getting that bezel off again in the future would be even more difficult.
Yes mine is a 75 thank you very much

Yeah, that's what I've always called them but when you google 'speed nut' you get the panel clip style.
View attachment 1715597157
That’s a clip. Fits over the lip of a panel. Not sure why that’s called a nut. There’s no head on it. Anyway back in my body shop supply days I use to stock them by the boxes I think in Dorman, maybe Wurth. That’s what they called them. I’m sure they’re still avaliable new in a crappy Chinese version

Yea that is what I keep finding in my search. I found some like this. They say GM but I bet they will work. They are 3/16 stud x 3/8 od I bet they will work

View attachment 1715597162
Its a thread cutting nut. A pal nut is a stamped nut also but doesn't cut threads.
Above might work on a earlier panel. The large late model panels have a large stud that is hollow like a piece of tubing. I had stated 3/8 but it might be 5/16. Owner should measure before buying. I think I have the OEM nuts somewhere in my basement. I'm not going to the post office though.

Last edited:
-
Back