Dash turn signal and oil pressure light flicker

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello All, I installed a Grant 870 steering wheel with mounting kit on my automatic column shift 1974 plymouth duster. Everything looks good and the horn works. However, when I hit the horn both turn signal indicator and oil pressure idiot light flicker on. Never had this issue before. Any idea why this would start occurring now? Didn't want to pull the wheel again if I don't have to.
v/r
Ron

What did you do to remove the only wheel, horn wires etc

Check the ground from dash to column

What did you do to remove the only wheel, horn wires etc

Check the ground from dash to column
Removed just the steering wheel and horn. Didn't touch the column or any wiring except for the horn.

Did you need to pull the horn wire any?
Not sure what you mean. The column has a contact point that touches a brass ring on the steering wheel adapter. The adapter has a wire that goes to the horn button.

My bad I was thinking thare was a wire that came out that attached to the horn adapter.

Ane chance the connector rotated in some way?

Just reaching for straws

My bad I was thinking thare was a wire that came out that attached to the horn adapter.

Ane chance the connector rotated in some way?

Just reaching for straws
I don't thank so. I'm going to put the original wheel back on to see if the problem continues.

Replaced old steering wheel and still had the issue, never noticed it before. disconnected the steering column wiring harnesses and jumped the horn wire leading to horn relay and had same issue. To me this would indicate that nothing in the column is causing the problem. Replaced the horn relay and the lights in the dash (turn signal indicators and oil pressure idiot light) become more pronounced, they flicker on for a second and go out regardless of how long I hold the horn on for. Double checked the grounds and they appear to be good. I can not figure out why the back feed or ground issue wouldn't light up all the lights in the dash besides just the turn signals and pressure gauge indicator lights, I'm lost.

The oil lamp grounds through the oil sender. Therefore this description does not make sense. I'm not saying "it isn't happening" I'm just saying a common cause is not obvious. The path for the oil lamp is key switch---to dash cluster power at the pin on the PC board---to the oil lamp--through the lamp---to the sender terminal on the PC board connector pin---out the sender wire--out the bulkhead connector---to the oil sender---to ground via the engine block

In theory the voltage to the cluster should not be affected, because the power for the horn relay contacts and coil comes from a different source/ path.

"I don't know"

The oil lamp grounds through the oil sender. Therefore this description does not make sense. I'm not saying "it isn't happening" I'm just saying a common cause is not obvious. The path for the oil lamp is key switch---to dash cluster power at the pin on the PC board---to the oil lamp--through the lamp---to the sender terminal on the PC board connector pin---out the sender wire--out the bulkhead connector---to the oil sender---to ground via the engine block

In theory the voltage to the cluster should not be affected, because the power for the horn relay contacts and coil comes from a different source/ path.

"I don't know"
I know, this scenario has been difficult to isolate. I'm about to just put it back together and run it. I've been studying the schematic and wondering if there could be some back feed to the dash cluster through the light switch since it appears to be powered from the same fuse port. None of this is making alot of sense to me.

Is it possible the oil lamp is "shining through" from one of the other lamps? Try running a separate ground pigtail from the dash frame/ column mount to the cluster "a ground point" on the cluster.

I suspect the charging system, voltage regulator, looose alternator belt, etc.... Just because you never noticed the issue doesn't mean it wasn't there. Good luck with it.

Is it possible the oil lamp is "shining through" from one of the other lamps? Try running a separate ground pigtail from the dash frame/ column mount to the cluster "a ground point" on the cluster.
I took the column completely out of the equation and jumped the horn switch post at the relay and got the same result. I disconnected both harnesses at the base of the steering column before jumping. I will add another ground to the dash cluster to see what we happens.

I suspect the charging system, voltage regulator, looose alternator belt, etc.... Just because you never noticed the issue doesn't mean it wasn't there. Good luck with it.
Thanks, how would these apply or effect when it occurs with engine off or running. Additionally, wouldn't more than just turn signal indicator lights and oil pressure idiot light.

Thanks Redfish I almost added this as well.

-
Back