Dashcam Footage of Dart Rearended

-

6kevin8

Reaction score
Approaching summer 2018, I was driving to work in my 68 dart which was the project car for me and my dad. I got rear-ended coming up to a red light. Can't emphasize enough that Irvine is simply not the place to daily drive these rare cars. Yes, I sued which is why I didn't want to post the footage until now. All of that mess has recently just wrapped up so here's the clip.

I hope no one was hurt. I hope you got your car fixed. Awful sorry to see this.

That sucks big time. At least you had him cold to get your car fixed.

And, by the way, you are a MUCH nicer person than I am. I'd have had a whole lot more to say to the guy that hit me than "Dude!". All of which would have been impossible to misunderstand as I relayed what I thought about the driver and their driving habits. :mad:

I always tell my kids that when you're coming to a stop always leave plenty of room in front of your car, especially a quick stop, always look in the rear view mirror to see if there's an idiot running up on your rear end. Sometimes pumping your brake lights and leaving room to move your car forward can save you a stiff neck. As I brake I always take a quick look in the rear view mirror. Sorry about the accident and hope everyone is OK. Treblig

I have been considering getting a mirror mounted cam just for stupid stuff like you experienced, what are you using?

I haven't figured out how to quote someone in an edit, so this is what Treblig said,

Begin quote

I always tell my kids that when you're coming to a stop always leave plenty of room in front of your car, especially a quick stop, always look in the rear view mirror to see if there's an idiot running up on your rear end. Sometimes pumping your brake lights and leaving room to move your car forward can save you a stiff neck. As I brake I always take a quick look in the rear view mirror. Sorry about the accident and hope everyone is OK. Treblig

End quote.

My son is only seven, but I always push my head back against the headrest when I apply the brakes, and tell him to do the same, just in case someone hits us from behind.

coup-contrecoup-1080_1_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Did you have a dashcam for this reason? What cam are you using?

I was rear ended on the freeway and came out a lot better than you did. All these ******* idiots on their phone, navigation, same thing though staring at the screen instead of the road in front of them. That idiot just wrecked a car that's Irreplaceable, you have to build that car over again from parts. I detest people that space out and hit old classic cars just as much as I hate people in new cars who try to race an old classic in the lane next to them. Both types are **** and an accident waiting to happen.

Pictures
That's too bad. Sorry to see your project get crunched
Luckily, I was able to find a replacement body that Rory Fontana threw everything into. I couldn't keep it in Irvine though, I felt too paranoid while driving it and it just wasn't enjoyable. I'm selling it to my dad and I hope to restore a \6 68 dart in the future when I'm out of school and perhaps a 68 fb cuda.

I hope no one was hurt. I hope you got your car fixed. Awful sorry to see this.
I was the only one in the car and the whiplash was pretty irritating that summer. The car had damage to the frame.

That sucks big time. At least you had him cold to get your car fixed.

And, by the way, you are a MUCH nicer person than I am. I'd have had a whole lot more to say to the guy that hit me than "Dude!". All of which would have been impossible to misunderstand as I relayed what I thought about the driver and their driving habits. :mad:
*her* but yeah, I've been told that a few times lol.

@Ottmundr

To call apon someone, use the at symbol “@“ in front of there name. They will be notified when you do this. As you type there name out, it will pop up in a box you can click so if you don’t know how to spell it exactly.... several will pop up, just click the one that fits

Press reply and the whole post will be quoted for you. Type your reply before and above the post or below and after the quote tags.
Delete any words from in between the tags to get to the point of which your talking about.

Multi quoting;

Who or What ever you want to quote, add a “[ ]” to each end of the word quote at the beginning of what you want to quote.
To end the quote, add “ [/ ]” to the words you want to quote.
Notice the slash to end the quote.

Last edited:
Good advice, I try to follow it. She hit me going like 40. I'm pretty sure she was texting. I didn't habitually look in my rear view mirror back then, but I do now.

I have been considering getting a mirror mounted cam just for stupid stuff like you experienced, what are you using?

I haven't figured out how to quote someone in an edit, so this is what Treblig said,

Begin quote

End quote.

My son is only seven, but I always push my head back against the headrest when I apply the brakes, and tell him to do the same, just in case someone hits us from behind.

View attachment 1715340882
I would strongly recommend it. I'd say it saved me a bit of hassle. I hired an attorney, gave him the footage, and the rest was just following his directions. The dash cam was an Ampulla Cruiser Dual Dash cam.

Did you have a dashcam for this reason? What cam are you using?
Yeah, I had been living in Irvine for school since fall 2017, and had watched a lot of youtube videos on dash cam footage saving people trouble. With all the **** drivers in Irvine, I asked my dad for a dash cam for my bday. Then this happened literally a month after I installed it. The cam was an Ampulla Cruiser Dual Dash cam.

I was rear ended on the freeway and came out a lot better than you did. All these ******* idiots on their phone, navigation, same thing though staring at the screen instead of the road in front of them. That idiot just wrecked a car that's Irreplaceable, you have to build that car over again from parts. I detest people that space out and hit old classic cars just as much as I hate people in new cars who try to race an old classic in the lane next to them. Both types are **** and an accident waiting to happen.
Can't stand it... I'm pretty sure the person who hit me was texting. From the video, it looked like she had no intention of stopping until like a millisecond before the collision.

I get nothing. No video, just a blank screen.

Approaching summer 2018, I was driving to work in my 68 dart which was the project car for me and my dad. I got rear-ended coming up to a red light. Can't emphasize enough that Irvine is simply not the place to daily drive these rare cars. Yes, I sued which is why I didn't want to post the footage until now. All of that mess has recently just wrapped up so here's the clip.

Man that sucks.

I saved the link to the camera.

I'm gonna get one as soon as funds allow.

So......from what I am reading, your car is totaled?

It doesn't just happen when you're stopped. I was doing 60 in a 55. Hit town limits where it drops to 45. Clicked off the cruise to coast and was down to 50 in the right lane when when the back end of my 97 Ram got picked up and put in the left lane and pointed me to the shoulder. As I was stopping , looked in my side view and saw the jeep wrangler''s bottom side twice. She was a nurse coming off a double shift and on her way to her 2nd job at 11am. Drove up the back of my truck, cartwheeled once and rolled 2-1/4 times, coming to rest against a 50ft class 1 power/utit pole. It's a miracle that she undid her seat belt, fell to the passenger side and walked out of the windshield frame. Said her shoulder was sore. She had fallen asleep and couldn't remember the last half a mile. The State Trooper estimates her speed at 80-85 when she hit me. No injuries to anyone. This was on a Saturday. Her insurance company was calling me at 8am Monday morning. They sucked up to me big time.

-
Back