David (little nut) Vs Goliath (me)

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The two chrome trims (left and right) below the huge rear window of the first Generation Barracuda uses studs and nuts to fasten 'em underneath. As happens in many cases, during disassembly sometimes the stud comes out instead of the nut spinning off (always one in the bunch that will be the troublemaker).

So I tried the double-nut method several times, grabbing one end with a pair of pliers (began to damage the threads, of course), sprayed WD-40 on both ends (off and on) over a period of days, placed it in the freezer overnight and tried double-nut again. The nut still won't move. I did manage to loosen/snap off the built-in/captive washer (though not on purpose). The factory nut/washer looks like the fastener on the right in the photo.

Going to cut the nut off with a Dremel cutting wheel or just going to find a bolt with the same thread and convert it into a stud by chopping off the head. I see the #10 nuts I had purchased previously (at a home improvement store) are very short and thin and don't come near the height of the factory nuts. Still can't believe the little nut got the best of me! Seems to be #10-24 or 3/16" (see previous forum thread reference below).

IMG_1163.jpg

Is 3/16" machine screw equivalent to a #10?

Last edited:
Have you tried putting a little heat on the nut with a torch? i have found using some heat on stubborn nuts & bolts works wonders!

-
Back