Is 3/16" machine screw equivalent to a #10?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I need a tap to repair some damaged female threads that take a #10-32 machine screw. The employee at Home Depot helped me, but picked out a 3/16"-32 tap (Triumph brand). I had no idea these two items were the same. Can anyone verify this for me before I open the package? Thank you.

I need a tap to repair some damaged female threads that take a #10-32 machine screw. The employee at Home Depot helped me, but picked out a 3/16"-32 tap (Triumph brand). I had no idea these two items were the same. Can anyone verify this for me before I open the package? Thank you.
Not the same

12-24 is the biggest machine screw size b/4 the 1/4". If you need a #10 get a #10

They do make a 10/32 tap. Maybe he was out of it or just doesn't know.

As I recall #10 is .190" (3/16 is .188"). They come is 24 and 32 thread per inch (TPI). I believe a .156 (5/32) is the predrill for a tap for 10-32.

Reference a drill tap chart. Numbers are wire gauge sizes that fall between inch sizes, well above 3/16 inch too. There are very slight differences in major and minor diameters of the threads produced. That chart will show different drill sizes required including those number size drills that fall between the common inch size drills for 3/16 and/or #10 machine threads. ( NOBODY will have the number size drills in stock ). Anyway... For general purposes, mechanic, carpenter, doctor, lawyer, Indian chief, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, 3/16 inch machine screw thread is #10 machine screw thread be it either 24NC or 32NF. Exactness comes into play where the engineer calls out one or the other on a blueprint. Substitution can cost you the contract.

Redfish seems to be saying they are "almost" the same, but he did not say take it back for some reason. According to my looking up #10 = .190" and 3/16 (doing the math) = .1875"

Last edited:
Redfish seems to be saying they are "almost" the same, but he did not say take it back for some reason. According to my looking up #10 = .190" and 3/16 (doing the math) = .1875"
I wouldn't take it back because of the few thousands difference. I would use it.
Even the correct tap or die is available in several types and grades. Send the wife shopping? Cut threads, formed threads, major, minor, pitch diameter tolerances, it can get very technical. The machinist hand book contains 100% of the related info ( and its a thick book! ) Add one of those and a few hundred dollars in measuring instruments to her shopping list? LOL
It would be nice to know where/what/when such a small bolt warrants soooo much concern.
Working on airplane engine or landing gear?

I just re-read the op's first sentence. You need a rethreader or a thread chaser. You may be asking for trouble using a tap to clean threads.

A tap will work fine for that, and I wouldn't worry about the difference in size, hand tapping will ream it out more than that, regardless.

That said, don't even think about this if it's a Chinese tap.

I've never seen a 3/16 tap, and it's kinda scary.

A tap will work fine for that, and I wouldn't worry about the difference in size, hand tapping will ream it out more than that, regardless.

Roger that! Good luck @dibbons and report back the results.

The exact same #10 tap might be marked 3/16 inch for Lowes or Home Depot since the carpenter and most of those others mentioned in my previous post rely on a inch tape measure.
We can buy end wrenches marked both 5/16" and 8MM, 3/16" and 10MM, 3/4" and 19MM. None of those are exactly the same either.

The exact same #10 tap might be marked 3/16 inch for Lowes or Home Depot since the carpenter and most of those others mentioned in my previous post rely on a inch tape measure.
We can buy end wrenches marked both 5/16" and 8MM, 3/16" and 10MM, 3/4" and 19MM. None of those are exactly the same either.

I don't doubt it, it's just weird to me. I've seen wrenches marked 5/16" on one side and 8mm on the other but never taps

This screw and the threads it fits into are very important, they fit the factory style backlight louvers for a BBody and are hand made by Mike of Dayclona fame. During pre-fitting everything went together fine, now on installation day one screw is refusing to enter it's little threaded hole.

DSC00952.JPG

Have had pretty good luck finding oddball taps at my local ACE hardware. Hf has numbered drills. Yes I cringe. If this is stainless hardware going into aluminum or such easy to gall on the way in or out. Go slow and a bit of never-seze

Grainger or Production Tool Supply may have a set with them...
OK, Nobody in my neck of the woods. I'm sure the correct #10 tap can be found in a major city too.
Many of us are limited to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace/True Value, without a journey to the larger town.
If Harbor Freight has number drills, that's news to me. When I needed drills less than 1/16" ( .0625 ) I had to buy them online. Harbor Freight did not have. Nobody in my neck of the woods.

As for this no start thread.. I would first know for sure the start thread of the screw is not the problem. I've had this issue before with cheap mass produced hardware. ell I bought 3 knobs for cabinet doors and on of those screws had NO THREADS, still smooth shank like a clevis pin. Talk about pizzed off, boy was I ever. Anyway... Most times just chamfer that screw end a tad more would do.
If the female thread is the issue I would use the tap in hand to correct the first few threads. That's me though. You do what you feel is best. Good luck with it.

A 3/16 screw is a special size. You won't find it in any U.S. catalog of standard screws, nuts, bolts, taps, or dies. You can have special 3/16-24, 3/16-32, or 3/16-60 taps and dies made, so I have to assume they are/were used someplace. Maybe on guns, as they like to use oddball sizes for some reason. Certainly not on a '60s/'70s Mopar!

Harbor Freight has # drills item #61690 and consists of 60 drill bits. I don't remember price but with 20% off coupon was affordable otherwise wouldn't have bought it.

-
Back