Day 1 (Friday) Man that stinks

-
I think this should be settled at the track. :D
Loser buys the brats and root beer.

I will say this about that.
IN MY OPINION, it's a little easier to run a delay box off the top bulb. Still, NOT easy, cause the guy in the other lane has the same equipment that you do.
I have tried to run a pro tree. Between my cars reaction time, and mine, there was no way to be competitive. IF I ran a box off the top bulb, that same car could be competitive.
If you want to run against a pro tree, either .4 or .5, your car better react fast, and your drivers reaction time better be great. Running with a box off the top bulb, a slow driver and a slow car can be compensated for, by the number in the box.

Some of you guys look at one part of the equation. In the top bulb class probably at least 60% of the cars are dragsters, a professional race only vehicle. They are coming up on you in an 1/8 mile race 30 mph or more. At most races the first vehicle to red light loses even if both cars red light. In bottom bulb classes you may race a car driven to the track, a pregnant mom getting her last few races in, a guy that races 2-5 times a season, etc, etc. a deep stage bottom bulber like Nick Bowman or Michael Beard can give anyone a run for their money. Our bottom bulbers at Keystone and many other tracks double enter most running adjustable long-throw trans brake buttons. So they get 4 time trials to my two, two first rounds to my one. Many buy back or double buyback to by the end of the night you can see where things like this can even the fields. I have never double-entered a race in my life. I’m not out to buy a win like some are.

Some of you guys look at one part of the equation. In the top bulb class probably at least 60% of the cars are dragsters, a professional race only vehicle. They are coming up on you in an 1/8 mile race 30 mph or more. At most races the first vehicle to red light loses even if both cars red light. In bottom bulb classes you may race a car driven to the track, a pregnant mom getting her last few races in, a guy that races 2-5 times a season, etc, etc. a deep stage bottom bulber like Nick Bowman or Michael Beard can give anyone a run for their money. Our bottom bulbers at Keystone and many other tracks double enter most running adjustable long-throw trans brake buttons. So they get 4 time trials to my two, two first rounds to my one. Many buy back or double buyback to by the end of the night you can see where things like this can even the fields. I have never double-entered a race in my life. I’m not out to buy a win like some are.

Nothing wrong making the best of the rules. Most of the big bracket races I've seen allow double entry, more money in the tracks pocket with no more pay out. At the end of the night everyone plays by the same rules.

I quit drinking...till I read this thread..lol
So much for a month n a half.
Its humid and dank anyhow..so eh so what.
I admire the guys that do everything on their cars because that's how I do it. I like to know it's tight enough it's adjusted right Etc and so on...so thats just my preference.
Now if it weren't for guys paying people to do things on their cars I wouldn't make money porting heads and building engines..so that's alright by me too as long as when they brag.. my name is in there for credit.. hey, it's me that did it...they just paid...lol That said the pressure difference, the weight on one shoulders... is quite a bit different between the two when you do all that work and stress and sweat it...and then have to be ready to drive/perform...as opposed to pick it up at the shop n put it on the trailer and off to the track.
I'm not racing at the level of either one of you ..i mostly like building the power...and I suck for rt anyways..lol ..so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the fire here for a bit. ..and enjoy an ice cold pacifco.:D

I THINK I know what top bulb and bottom bulb racing is but would one of you kindly define it properly? I might be the dumbest rock on here or there may be others that also don't know.

FWIW...my avatar car is a footbrake car. And at my skill level, at least as of 30 years ago (lol), I got my 69 Charger to where I routinely cut 030-040 lights. Back then, that was good enough to do quite well (car ran mid-12's but would run within .01 all day). I don't have many runs on the avatar car yet but doubt I could ever do much better consistently. And when I'm at the track and hear the lights the brake/delay box cars have, I know I'm a duck if I go in their class. Those are sharks swimming with sharks and this duck cannot compete. Hence why I'm trying to set the car up to run in the Sportsman class where brakes/delay boxes are not supposed to be allowed. We'll see if I can get the avatar to the level my Charger was back then in terms of lights and consistency even though it is much faster.

And like most all of you out there, I'd be thrilled to death if my car ever came close to what John's or Don's car do!! (I'm not holding my breath as it won't!!)

John - good luck this weekend! Many of us are racing through watching you and your timeslips!!

I THINK I know what top bulb and bottom bulb racing is but would one of you kindly define it properly? I might be the dumbest rock on here or there may be others that also don't know.

FWIW...my avatar car is a footbrake car. And at my skill level, at least as of 30 years ago (lol), I got my 69 Charger to where I routinely cut 030-040 lights. Back then, that was good enough to do quite well (car ran mid-12's but would run within .01 all day). I don't have many runs on the avatar car yet but doubt I could ever do much better consistently. And when I'm at the track and hear the lights the brake/delay box cars have, I know I'm a duck if I go in their class. Those are sharks swimming with sharks and this duck cannot compete. Hence why I'm trying to set the car up to run in the Sportsman class where brakes/delay boxes are not supposed to be allowed. We'll see if I can get the avatar to the level my Charger was back then in terms of lights and consistency even though it is much faster.

And like most all of you out there, I'd be thrilled to death if my car ever came close to what John's or Don's car do!! (I'm not holding my breath as it won't!!)

John - good luck this weekend! Many of us are racing through watching you and your timeslips!!
Bottom bulb is what about 90% do.... react to the bottom bulb, for release of transbrake or stabbing the gas.
Top bulb uses a delay box to release the transbrake at a fixed time (adjustable, to account for the driver) after the driver reacts to the first (top) bulb.
Some drivers and cars launch hard and fast enough to need a delay box on a pro tree, as well.

I have only run a footbrake class, typically 5 to 8 meets a year, but haven't been on a track in 5 years now. I would be cannon fodder against someone like John, and I'm ok with that, only ever raced for fun and to see what my car would do, and how it responded to the changes I made. I never bought back in an event and always drove my junk to the track. I have a great deal of respect for the guys who work hard, and can drive a car consistently, that's the hard part.
My best ever reaction time was .008, mostly I was in the .090 to .200 range.

Ok my last post for awhile. First off I love sharing tech and race results which few do. I lost third round with a .009 light running a 6.09 on a 6.10 dial. Very close race again. As he ran a 5.01 (.door car) on a 5.01. Good race. They added a 64 car shoot out for 150.00 and if id had known about it I actually would have entered it. 5000.00-1000.00 500.00 semi’s but I passed as I would have taken a short nap or stayed out of the sun. I share what I think is a lot of info on this site witch I think is good info and I have no reason to lie. We all
Misword things and the more you share the more it opens you up to wording things possibly wrong but to get called out on it and called a lier pisses me off. So I’m going to give myself a time out and see what the future leads to. The time I spent here I hope to spend wisely. I really like most of you guys and most messages will be answered. Have a great summer and number one have fun.

Thanks John, everyone now and then needs a break from here as life just seems to get busier as we get older. We don’t have the time or patience for the bs in our lives. I love all your postings and will miss them. Take care and be safe my friend. Kim

Bottom bulb is what about 90% do.... react to the bottom bulb, for release of transbrake or stabbing the gas.
Top bulb uses a delay box to release the transbrake at a fixed time (adjustable, to account for the driver) after the driver reacts to the first (top) bulb.
Some drivers and cars launch hard and fast enough to need a delay box on a pro tree, as well.
Thx - that matches what I thought. I just wasn't sure when I see a track advertising a "Top Bulb" event or a "Bottom Bulb" event. Seems which bulb you "leave" on would be up to you so long as not a pro tree.

Thx - that matches what I thought. I just wasn't sure when I see a track advertising a "Top Bulb" event or a "Bottom Bulb" event. Seems which bulb you "leave" on would be up to you so long as not a pro tree.[/QUOTE A top bulb event basically means delay boxes allowed and bottom bulb is basically a footbrake and / or trans brake event.. in regards to which bulb you leave on if you footbrake or transbrake and leave on the top bulb you will red light.. top bulb racers generally leave on the top bulb with a delay set in the box for the delay between the top and bottom bulb. I have been bottom bulb footbraking for over 30 years with moderate success , the last ten years or so I have been running an index class on a 5/10 pro tree also and really like it, I also deep stage on the pro tree also footbraking after the last few months of bottom bulb racing I am really looking forward to doing some pro tree index racing over the next few months . My car leaves hard enough to be competitive on a pro tree while foot braking. Bottom bulb, top bulb, pro tree etc. none of them are easy and the competition seems to get better every year. I commend anybody that races wether they do well or not as long as they are out there supporting the sport its okay with me

Thx - that matches what I thought. I just wasn't sure when I see a track advertising a "Top Bulb" event or a "Bottom Bulb" event. Seems which bulb you "leave" on would be up to you so long as not a pro tree.
If they say its a bottom bulb event..... that means no delay boxes, and no pro tree. (At least, thats what it says to me.....) edit: looks like BVoltzke covered it for me. Late on the tree again.

A top bulb event basically means delay boxes allowed and bottom bulb is basically a foot brake and / or trans brake event. In regards to which bulb you leave on .. if you foot brake or trans brake and leave off the top bulb you will red light. Top bulb racers leave on the top bulb with a delay set in their box for the time between the top and bottom bulb. I have been foot braking on the bottom bulb for over 30 years with moderate success , the last ten or so I have been index racing on a 5/10s pro tree and really like it and actually prefer it to the full tree . I also deep stage on the pro tree as it really helps my reaction times enough to be competitive my car also leaves hard enough to be competitive while foot braking , having a high 10 second car slowed down to run mid 11s and being able to adjust to go faster or slower sure helps also. Bottom bulb, top bulb , pro tree etc. I commend anybody that races wether they are successful or not as long as they are out there supporting the sport its ok with me!

54FD2AB6-2E88-44B4-A364-38612859781E.jpeg

Last edited:
I was decent (at best) footbraking, but I was better in the transbrake car off the bottom bulb. More fun too.
Never wanted to spend for the delay box/throttle stop stuff, and didn't want to try to compete with the dragsters with 175 mph, and .00x after .00x lights, either.

Ok my last post for awhile. First off I love sharing tech and race results which few do. I lost third round with a .009 light running a 6.09 on a 6.10 dial. Very close race again. As he ran a 5.01 (.door car) on a 5.01. Good race. They added a 64 car shoot out for 150.00 and if id had known about it I actually would have entered it. 5000.00-1000.00 500.00 semi’s but I passed as I would have taken a short nap or stayed out of the sun. I share what I think is a lot of info on this site witch I think is good info and I have no reason to lie. We all
Misword things and the more you share the more it opens you up to wording things possibly wrong but to get called out on it and called a lier pisses me off. So I’m going to give myself a time out and see what the future leads to. The time I spent here I hope to spend wisely. I really like most of you guys and most messages will be answered. Have a great summer and number one have fun.

-
Back