DC tac hook up..?..

-
like the ad said it's basically getting all the accommodating parts to make it work..
Here might be some help with that.........
upload_2020-1-19_10-38-8.png
upload_2020-1-19_10-39-20.png

upload_2020-1-19_10-41-2.png
upload_2020-1-19_10-43-14.png

A tach drive distributor will work with ANY ignition system. You don't have to change that. All you are doing is changing the distruibutor. It can be points, magnetic, a light, Hall effects...or any other trigger other than a magneto.

If you really wanted to piss everyone off, you could find a mag and run that. If I could find one I'd do it. It would have to be cheap, but I'd do it.

And it has to be a Mallory Super Mag III or newer. That would be cool.

thank you, I have no idea what I need exactly and I believe there's quite a few different variations.. that and I have to get the correct distributor as well.. and again I would rather it's some kind of conversion and still be able to run my MSD if that's possible..

@halifaxhops has helped me tremendously.. the problem is I just don't know if I'm ready to pull the trigger on near $500 worth of parts to make this tachometer work.. I can see where eventually I would want to get the parts together for it put I just don't know if I'm really wanting to switch up my ignition system to accommodate it... It's quite an investment for a $50 tach I got off of Craigslist several years ago....

It's a seperate circuit, MSD don't care. The tach drive gets it energy seperate and runs the tach.
As YR said you can run any ign with that tach because it is simply a rpm amplifier off of your dist. The magnetic pick up, in the dist, for the MSD, is a completely different circuit then the tach drive off the dist you need to buy.

Last edited:
A tach drive distributor will work with ANY ignition system. You don't have to change that. All you are doing is changing the distruibutor. It can be points, magnetic, a light, Hall effects...or any other trigger other than a magneto.

If you really wanted to piss everyone off, you could find a mag and run that. If I could find one I'd do it. It would have to be cheap, but I'd do it.

And it has to be a Mallory Super Mag III or newer. That would be cool.
I think someone's got to Mallory mag on the parts part of the Forum for like 40 bucks..

It's a seperate circuit, MSD don't care. The tach drive gets it energy seperate and runs the tach.
As YR said you can run any ign with that tech because it is simply a rpm amplifier off of your dist. The magnetic pick up, in the dist, for the MSD, is a completely different circuit then the tach drive off the dist you need to buy.
I get it I already know. The problem is everything works great I have a good tachometer with shift light and all that stuff. paid good money for it and it's working great. Now to get all this accommodated it would cost me close to $500 and then all this good stuff that I have goes on a shelf. All to work a $50 tach. I like the nostalgia of it all and I would love to have it and eventually I'll probably try and collect the parts now that I know what they look like. But as for right now I'm not going to run right out and spend $500 and re hook up distributors and all that to put this old tach in my car. If it even works!..

I don't know were you are finding 500 dollars...........especially if your just going to keep a eye out and get the parts as they come available.
Ebay had a dist for under 200 dollars and the generator is more then likely a form of the 20 dollar speedo cable electronic generator off of a GM product.

I don't know were you are finding 500 dollars...........especially if your just going to keep a eye out and get the parts as they come available.
Ebay had a dist for under 200 dollars and the generator is more then likely a form of the 20 dollar speedo cable electronic generator off of a GM product.
Remember quoted me 325 for a rebuilt distributor and showed me a eBay post for one of those modules for 125. This is without shipping and without knowing if my tachometer even works and also that module or generator they don't know if that works either..
That's where I'm getting my figures from..

There is a pulse generator on eBay for sale... VDO 340-001 Tachometer Speedometer Generator Sender 7/8-18 copy and paste if you wish

View attachment 1715455059

View attachment 1715455060

I copy and pasted the description but didn't get to that exact one
what i have found is that none of them(that i can find) come with the key?
Do you have direct link/ address to that part?

I get it I already know. The problem is everything works great I have a good tachometer with shift light and all that stuff. paid good money for it and it's working great. Now to get all this accommodated it would cost me close to $500 and then all this good stuff that I have goes on a shelf. All to work a $50 tach. I like the nostalgia of it all and I would love to have it and eventually I'll probably try and collect the parts now that I know what they look like. But as for right now I'm not going to run right out and spend $500 and re hook up distributors and all that to put this old tach in my car. If it even works!..

Right. 500 bucks is CHEAP for the amount of cool you'd have. It's about the COOL.

Remember quoted me 325 for a rebuilt distributor and showed me a eBay post for one of those modules for 125. This is without shipping and without knowing if my tachometer even works and also that module or generator they don't know if that works either..
That's where I'm getting my figures from..

That tach and it's internals are dumb simple. Those types of tach's are very accurate and live forever. This new junk out there is more often off at least somewhere in the RPM range.

Plus, how COOL is that??

Never mind Dicer, i see were you post it up earlier.
And you don't need a ebay account or paypal account to buy it here j par and can get the key.
https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/products/126573386
Courtesy of Dicer

I'm betting that even if you buy a generator, at the swap meet......it probably not going to come with the key.
So this is a vary valuable link!!! just saying.

one of the boxes on e-bay was from a bran the napa sells so i punch the number in on the napa sight........FAIL!!!!!!
341 DOLLARS:rolleyes:

That tach and it's internals are dumb simple. Those types of tach's are very accurate and live forever. This new junk out there is more often off at least somewhere in the RPM range.

Plus, how COOL is that??
Not $500 "IF" it all works cool...

Plus, how COOL is that??
hey if you're going to have two booths your going to have a lot of crap and I want first dibs on some good stuff!!!..

Also as I recall that it's not that big of a swap meet and I was only there for like 2 hours or less and seen it all but my wife is giving me some extra money for my birthday so I might have something to spend..

I only bring the best stuff.

Cheeseburgers afterwards right????
Without question John will come to your booth first thing before any people come in and try and buy stuff up cheap so he can sell it at his booth.. double the price on him because he sure will when it gets over to his booth...

I'll have to see if my best friend comes and if we ride together.. he drives truck at night and tries to get to bed by 3 in the afternoon...

Ok. I may have to stay a couple of extra days so we can do it Monday if that's better for you.

BTDT driving truck at night. It ain't fun.

-
Back