de-stroked 440

-

hacksaw

Reaction score
ok .... i have dun the 440 crank in a 400 block worked well as most of you know ..... Now i want to go the otherway ..... was thinking a 361 crank in a 400 or 440 block .... the 340 math .... big bore 3 in stroke. before ya say im defeeting the whole big block thing ... I was thinking i could keep the 440-ish CI but with the big *** bore instead of the long *** stroke. .. any thinking on this???? i have lots of time and parts and the winters are long and cold here...... tnx :thumblef:

Good question,even my loud mouth has nothing here. Subscribed.

You have perfectly described the 400.
Same stroke as your 361 with a bigger bore than the 383.

It would seem so ....Was hopeing to come up with something better than a punched out 400 ///// O well .. back to the 383

Offset grind the B block crank to de-stroke it and put some BBC rods on there(go from a 2.375 rod journal to a 2.200 journal). That will bring it down quite a bit, around .150 to .160" or so to 3.32", just like a 340.

thats what i was thinking .... it seems to me that most of the power is made in the first 2.5 to 3 in of the power stroke .so why not keep it there ???? I have used the BBC rods to stroke but never to de-stroke. I have put a 318 crank in a .040 over 360 block and made a 340 .. it worked well to say the least. But i think SSBA is rite ... im still going to wind up with a punched out 400. Maby il try and see just how big i can go with the 400 block instead. ....

Going to high rod ratios increases the acceleration of the piston. Exceeding 2:1 rod/stroke ratio combined with high rpm runs the risk of fastener failure on the rod bolts.

High rod ratio increases the dwell time of the piston, making greater power from marginal head flow.

These are small % benefits, suitable for max effort engines limited by rules; more inches equals more power per unit money, so build the largest engine you can afford or the rules allow. S/F......Ken M

yes yes yes .. i get all that .... But what if ???? What if the dodge bros never left old man ford ... What if wiber never chucked ovill off the roof to test gravity .... What if the pushrod was never invented ???? we'd all still have flatheads ..... What if I that perfict combo that changes the world is still out there????? What if i find it ?????You just never know

yes yes yes .. i get all that .... But what if ???? What if the dodge bros never left old man ford ... What if wiber never chucked ovill off the roof to test gravity .... What if the pushrod was never invented ???? we'd all still have flatheads ..... What if I that perfict combo that changes the world is still out there????? What if i find it ?????You just never know

You forgot one. "What if my Aunt had balls?" "Would she be my uncle?" lol

That's true though I can note ember who had them. I did price them and found out that it is stupid expensive to go that route.

eagle makes the do-goodies for it. And with the cost of a good 340 these days its not bad. think i payed 200 bucks. .... don't think i was in the whole thing 500 bucks .... most of that was the head work. ...had all the parts in the shed

ok .... i have dun the 440 crank in a 400 block worked well as most of you know ..... Now i want to go the otherway ..... was thinking a 361 crank in a 400 or 440 block .... the 340 math .... big bore 3 in stroke. before ya say im defeeting the whole big block thing ... I was thinking i could keep the 440-ish CI but with the big *** bore instead of the long *** stroke. .. any thinking on this???? i have lots of time and parts and the winters are long and cold here...... tnx :thumblef:

well essentially a 400 is a destroked 440 in a sense. the 400 has the biggest bore of any of Ma Mopar's blocks, with a short stroke. So...I'd just go the 400 route personally.

These engines are 50-60 years old. Someone else has thought of it, spent money, and realized it's not enough gain for the expense. Destroked Hemis ran Nascar and NHRA Pro Stock. Until you reach the financial commitment level of a modern racing program destroking's not going to make any special secret power.

Let me get this straight,you want to take the tallest widest heaviest engine
that's not a hemi,and make it the smallest displacement possible w/a stroke not really that
much shorter that the one commonly found in the low deck version. OK Rod Serling, where
are you hiding?

-
Back