De-tune the steering

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
This is what I spent my birthday doing. It was wonderful, even with the garage being 108° degrees.
What does it do?? I am glad you asked; The power steering in Natalie is way over powered. If you take your eyes off the road and move your hand the slightest amount, you are either changing lanes or on the shoulder.
This valve allows me to de-tune the power steering to the setting I like.

I am going to test it out sometime this morning

Note: This device was designed for a Mustang

Attachments

• Power steering adjusting valve.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 490
"What's" it called?

Have you seen this article?

put in the http://www. and then moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

I'm also interested in that . So you basically adjust the preasure of the ps pump with that . Where do I buy it ? And does it work ?

I'm also interested in that . So you basically adjust the preasure of the ps pump with that . Where do I buy it ? And does it work ?

Look at the "Pump it down" article Del posted before you decide to go through all that time and expense.
The basics are that you just add a washer or more if needed to the pressure valve on the back of the pump to lessen it's regulated pressure.

"What's" it called?

Have you seen this article?

put in the http://www. and then moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

I have read the article, if it is the one I am thinking of, my power steering pump is not buiit by Saginaw,

This is where I bought mine. I found out it is made for the Mustang, but the theory is the same. The cost of the fittings needed and having 2 pressure hoses cost a little more than the valve it self,
I was on my way out to test it when I saw a relative's white car was tagged with swastikas in bright pink paint.
So I took care of that and am waiting to cool down some then I will test the car. I will let you know later

http://tinyurl.com/nfdqrou

I wouldn't have screw clamped hoses on the high pressure line.

There are two High Pressure lines with correct fittings at the bottom, and two Low Pressure lines with the hose clamps you mentioned at the top of the valve. The valve bleeds off the pressurized fluid from the HP lines and the bled off fluid goes into the LP lines. Nothing wrong with the way it is set up. ...Well, if you really want to get picky, I'm not sure brass would have been my first choice for the adapter fittings. Steel would be my choice there.

Brass is fine. Actually, "generally," it is difficult to find SAE (45 degree) fittings in steel. Generally, local parts and tractor store fittings are brass, SAE, and steel, JIC / AN

There are two High Pressure lines with correct fittings at the bottom, and two Low Pressure lines with the hose clamps you mentioned at the top of the valve. The valve bleeds off the pressurized fluid from the HP lines and the bled off fluid goes into the LP lines. Nothing wrong with the way it is set up. ...Well, if you really want to get picky, I'm not sure brass would have been my first choice for the adapter fittings. Steel would be my choice there.

You are correct on how the valve works, It basically bleeds off some of the pressure between the pump and the steering box.
As for the brass fittings you are correct, but I would be better with aluminum fittings,
I was in a rush and needed to hit Home Depot for the brass fittings. Now that you bring it to my attention, I will look for aluminum fittings to replace the brass.

I drove the car around a little. I then reached in to adjust the valve. Hotter than hell. What little I turned it, I think it firmed up the steering some.
I will let you know when I know for sure

I bought mine at http://tinyurl.com/nfdqrou

But be aware that this was designed for the Mustang. I found no reason it will not work on the Model A's

No, I really would not use aluminum. The only reason I mentioned it all is because you just don't usually see anything other than steel on OEM power steering fittings.

Nice! I have been wanting to do something like this with my car. Did you ever do more adjustment than the one time? If so how did it feel?

What screw clamps are there on the high pressure line? The connectors closest to the valve adjuster are the low pressure lines

Nice! I have been wanting to do something like this with my car. Did you ever do more adjustment than the one time? If so how did it feel?

I have not driven the car that much to know how everything does at different valve settings. What I can tell you is that it does make changes to the steering.

Where I have it set now, if you turn a corner and release the steering wheel the car does not right itself. I have to manually turn the wheel back to center.

I will make some more drive time adjustments to suit me. It does work on my car and that is all I can say for sure

No, I really would not use aluminum. The only reason I mentioned it all is because you just don't usually see anything other than steel on OEM power steering fittings.

I was not totally serious about the aluminum. But there can be a bi-metal reaction ending in corrosion. I have seen it with steel and copper

Plus, there is nothing OEM about this setup

Look at the "Pump it down" article Del posted before you decide to go through all that time and expense.
The basics are that you just add a washer or more if needed to the pressure valve on the back of the pump to lessen it's regulated pressure.

I read that article. Even though I do not have the Saginaw pump, I took mine apart . The valve on my pump will not come apart to change out the shims.
plus another thing to consider is you can not adjust the pressure very easily if you rely on the shim method.
I can adjust mine in the time it takes to open the hood.
But you are correct, the shim method cost less than (I am guessing) 10¢. I spent around $200 for everything I needed to get this working

Thanks for testing this part , if it works well on your car that is a big plus , another way to fix the loose steering on old Mopars

I sure don't like the sound of "no return" from a turn, but this might be alignment. How much did this change from before, and what are you running for caster?

I did the M/A shim deal. It truly is as easy as the article says. I did it without removing the pump from the car. When I removed the valve on the rebuilt pump on my car, there were no shims . Probably why it was so over powered. The more shims, the less pressure, and stiffer steering. I had two old pumps. One was from a 340 car. It had .089 shim thickness. The standard pump had .047 I think. Seems like Mopar knew about this from the start. I followed the article directions, and ended up using all the shims I had to reach the recommended thickness. Popped the valve back in . I am very happy with the feel. The article suggests making washers fit, but seeing how small they are, and precisely made, I think it's better to use the correct ones.

I sure don't like the sound of "no return" from a turn, but this might be alignment. How much did this change from before, and what are you running for caster?

The no return is because I have the pressure turned down. I have to find the setting I want. I only finished this 36 hours ago. With everything else going on, I have made coarse adjustments. Give me some time to fine tune it.
The thing is IT WORKS.

If you want to put it in your car, great. If you don't trust my opinion, don't. Someone else will do this and maybe a 2nd opinion is what you need.

Either way, it is no skin off my nose.. I put this in for me..... I am happy with it..... I thought I would let FABO know what I did so others who trust me and have a need, will know what my experience is.

Pawned , I think what you did was a great idea . I'm not saying tht shimming the sagina pump is a bad idea . But with having a adjustable valve that takes 2 seconds to adjust is awesome . I will deff be doing this mod to my car . Keep us posted how it turns out when you fine tune it .

The no return is because I have the pressure turned down. I have to find the setting I want. I only finished this 36 hours ago. With everything else going on, I have made coarse adjustments. Give me some time to fine tune it.
The thing is IT WORKS.

If you want to put it in your car, great. If you don't trust my opinion, don't. Someone else will do this and maybe a 2nd opinion is what you need.

Either way, it is no skin off my nose.. I put this in for me..... I am happy with it..... I thought I would let FABO know what I did so others who trust me and have a need, will know what my experience is.

I just don't understand why you have to take EVERYTHING as a negative criticism. I realize fully this is an experiment in progress. I simply asked if you knew what you had for caster to get some idea of how this might "be." Calm down fer cris' sakes It was a QUESTION OK?

I just don't understand why you have to take EVERYTHING as a negative criticism. I realize fully this is an experiment in progress. I simply asked if you knew what you had for caster to get some idea of how this might "be." Calm down fer cris' sakes It was a QUESTION OK?

Agreed. and your power steering assist has NOTHING to with the wheel returning to center on its own. It sounds like you have other issues, and I would correct that issue.

I tuned the valve and the car returns to center now.
This was not an experiment, I knew what it would do before I purchased the parts.

I HIGHLY recommend swapping for a saganaw box and doing the pump it down. FAR better box.

I HIGHLY recommend swapping for a saganaw box and doing the pump it down. FAR better box.

1. I could not find a Saginaw pump locally

2. I prefer to be able to adjust my pump pressure on the fly instead of having to take the pump apart every time I want to change the settings on the pump pressure.

I do not disagree with you, as I have not had a Saginaw pump to try the adjustment , but my valve is in and works perfectly, so I am keeping it like it is

-
Back