Dead end search for chrome moldings.

-

frostbite2020

John Harrison
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1968 barracuda coupe and trying to find the external chrome type molding all around the car is painstaking. I am doing a modified restoration to the car but the snag is finding these chrome type moldings for a 1968 a-body barracuda. I have all the original pieces but they are worn looking. I am willing to recondition the pieces if there is a shop that does this sort of work. Any help will be greatly appreciated since this car will be driven for many years after it's transformation. Links, phone#s, etc.

Which ones are you talking about.......the drip rails, or around the taillight area?

I've been trying to find the drip rail chrome trim for my 72-73 Valiant hybrid, any ideas?

You'll need to be more spacific. There are stainless, plated potmetal, and annodized alluminum trim pieces.

hell anything shiny would be ok with me :D but i believe what I had were the annodized aluminium.

my responce was meant for the 68 cuda owner.

frostbite2020, which mouldings do you need? I can probably come up with every one but the rear window mouldings, of which I sold the several sets I had right here on FABO. I can get the drip rails, the front window chrome, and the vinyl top trim if you need those. Also, if there is upper door trim, I could get those too. If you were looking to have your trim restored, Iversons Automotive is the can-do company for that. He is in Minnesota, you can google the company name and it will come up. One of the best in the country at trim restoration. Hope this helps, Geof

Both, the drip rails, and around the tail and head lights. Looks like pot metal and aluminum in these locations.
I am serious about having this taken care of and surprised how fast a response I've received. Thankyou.
The car is completely stripped, minor body work currently finishing up, then media blasted next(paint chips off in some spots). This is my first resto so I'm trying to learn as fast as possible to keep up with each phase. My car in my profile photo is a "before" shot.

You can buy brand new tailight housings (chrome over diecast) for 68 (and other 2nd gen) cudsa, and also stainless decklid trim (originally aluminium) . Also tailight lenses (which have chrome inner insert). I see the aluminium headlight bezels come up on ebay from time to time as well.

Tailight housings and lenses : http://moparplus.com/index.php

Decklid trim: Laysons

drip rail covers are brite polished stainless steel.
With a little reading, very little investment, and a whole lot of time , you can polish more of the parts yourself. Especially the stainless.

Wow. I spent weeks finding nothing on my own. Just two days on FABO and I have enough info to finish what I couln't even start. Thank you, thank you.
I am going to race over to my mechanic's shop and pick up all the metal trim pieces and see what I can do with them. I'm definately not going to get much sleep now, knowing that my families old car will soon look and ride nice again. There is alot of sentimental value in the car. I have a budget so it will take a bit of calculating which way to procede(restore><replace). I am sure I will have more questions to ask and pictures to upload. If anyone has questions in the field of air conditioning/heating for home or office, just let me know, that is my specialty. Thanks again.
John

The headlight surrounds are anodized aluminum. You can take that coating off with oven cleaner(leave on for just a few minutes), wash off with water. Then slowly bring up the polishing step by step. A member here, Mullinax95, did a fantastic job on his.

The trim for 67-69 barracudas is expensive and hard to find.

It is out there to be had but it will cost you. Keep checking ebay and your local craigslist everyday. If you find a dear jump on it&#8230;. If you spend time thinking about it, it will be gone.

-
Back