Dead

-

Mouse action

Reaction score
now today’s problem is the car lost all power to the interior,no dash,no dome,no nuthin.i traced power to the bulkhead,there is power outside but not inside ,further inspection shows the connections no so pretty.
Do I just need a new dash harness with a new bulk head connector and where can I get one?

Have you checked the fusible link?

Have you checked the ammeter to see if it burned up?

I'd say one thing at a time, but totally understand wanting to solve the electrical.
there is power outside but not inside
exactly what do you mean by this?
Do you mean you used a test light on the battery?
Or do mean the parking lights and headlights work?
Or ??
further inspection shows the connections no so pretty.
Which connections?

I tend to prefer pictures and drawings, but everyone is different, so if this is helpful great. But if it doesn't make sense, please say so.

The main circuit has two power sources, alternator and battery.
All power is distributed from the main splice (except for the starter & starter relay).
On your '64, there should be a fusible link somewhere between the junction on the starter relay and the bulkhead connector.
Here's one on a '65.
upload_2020-1-18_14-35-12.png

and the original off of my '67
upload_2020-1-18_14-38-1.png

When that melts, everything will be dead.
upload_2020-1-18_14-42-41.png

If the headlights or parking lights work, then there is power to the main splice.
The ammeter will show moderate battery discharge when they are turned on.
It should show small discharge with the key in run or start.

Post back what you find.

There is power at the bulkhead on the engine compartment,not in the car to the fuse box.it looks like the connectors in the bulkhead case are not making connections.Ill try to run a separate power to the fuse box and see what I get .

There is power at the bulkhead on the engine compartment,not in the car to the fuse box.
?????
How are you checking this?

Please answer what I asked.

Willing to help, but if you're just posting and not really asking, that's fine too.

Then test the battery feed/charge line on the inside of the bulkhead connector.

The female connectors open up and cause all sorts of problems. They can be repaired, but that is easier with the harness out of the car. The loops on the connector open up and need to be closed gently with pliers. When we bought our old '67 Barracuda fastback we had all sorts of weird electrical issues. I took the dahs harness out and removed each connector one at a time and closed them up. Never had another electrical problem with that car.

We still don't know if "there is power outside but not inside" means the headlights, parking lights, horn work.
huh-gif.gif

FYI... it turned out to be the infamous amp gauge.
The cause of many a car fire
it kills power to all when burnt out
Thanks for all the support.

-
Back