Deceiving exhaust sound

-

medion

Reaction score
Hello there !

I have a Dart 67, originally a Slant 6. I put an absolutely stock 318 in there. I self made an exhaust system and it doen't sound good. It's a dual exhaust, each pipe ending just before the rear wheels on each side. There is no connection between the pipes. While driving, it sounds like a flat four :sad3:! but when I'm outside, with a friend driving and passing by, it makes a good sound ... Where's the mistake ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.:-D
thank you all for reading.

What mufflers you use ? Some guys put 40 or 50 series Flowmasters under the car and get so much noise inside they cant hear the radio.

who needs radio when you got 8 cylinders pounding out the gearhead melody lol:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Medion, what mufflers are you using?
As daredevil said, you are only hearing one side when you are driving and the sound is probably also resonating pretty good inside the car because of where your exhaust ends. Do you have any pics?

I use low budget Summit restrictive/unnoisy mufflers. You're right, it seems that I hear half of it but I don't understand what you mean by "someone besides you".:scratch:

If you are driving your car and someone is driving along down the road in the lane to your right, the sound will be bounced off of that car and back to your ears.

P.S. It would sound better if you brought the pipes all the way out the back....and an x pipe really smoothes it out and adds power.

Hello there !

I have a Dart 67, originally a Slant 6. I put an absolutely stock 318 in there. I self made an exhaust system and it doen't sound good. It's a dual exhaust, each pipe ending just before the rear wheels on each side. There is no connection between the pipes. While driving, it sounds like a flat four :sad3:! but when I'm outside, with a friend driving and passing by, it makes a good sound ... Where's the mistake ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.:-D
thank you all for reading.

If you get your pipes all the way out the back it will be much more pleasant to drive. Mine was the same way, 3" with turn downs ending right at the rear end housing. Inside the car it felt like I was driving a 3 ton delivery truck.

Make the exhaust all the way to the bumper, add a crossover, and put in some good mufflers (such as Dynomax Super Turbos, which are pretty quiet but flow pretty well).

They are right, spend the extra cash and run them out back with a H or X pipe, that way your rockers won't rot out as fast either.

When someone or something is next to you the sound will bounce off that object and come back to you. It's the whole bat/sound thing in play.

Ok ! It all seems pretty clear now ... This side exhaust thing was a bad idea. Does it work if I "link" the pipes with a tube instead of changing everything ? I can link the pipes before the mufflers and then add a section after the mufflers that goes all the way to the rear end.

Thanks for taking care to answer my previous questions, it helps a lot:thumblef:

-
Back