Decode I rushed to buy wrong parts

-

Harriscounty

Better to be dead & cool than alive & uncool
Reaction score
I have 65 Barracuda I was told when I bought it that it had a 273 engine. I have so many cars that I didn’t know what a 273 looked like . So now that I know where to find the engine code on the engine I see 318 now I’m like dam this didn’t come out until 1968 if I’m right. So not correct engine for car although I did like how fast this car drove with this engine that’s why I bought it. Also note the throttle . This guy jerry rigged it I have to address this as well. The exhaust headers are correct though I think. Any input would be helpful. I went out and bought a chrome 273 air breather and can’t use it on this quad 4b carb.now I gotta fine the correct air cleaner for this 318 because I am not taking this engine back out I’m stuck with it

AC1A93F0-857E-45ED-90D8-E1E35DF3E085.jpeg

A11529D0-D243-43DD-8BD9-C0DD3C27B4C4.jpeg

F5C57D09-CCFD-4E90-8087-AFC9B51579C8.jpeg

095082D5-E514-4045-B233-CD648653F18C.jpeg

036E3D01-EE07-44DA-9629-1B3507115729.jpeg

F1D8B896-7BE1-43D7-AC47-77794C39A407.jpeg

CE537948-5950-46DE-B671-593A53B299C6.jpeg

191E2E5B-9A9C-4237-91C4-A6411EBD069F.jpeg

D5C1FE07-243F-413C-B396-FF961E692D1A.jpeg

BBFD9FAB-692C-40D1-B431-0A2395FA7C9C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 65 Barracuda I was told when I bought it that it had a 273 engine. I have so many cars that I didn’t know what a 283 looked like . So now that I know where to find the engine code on the engine I see 318 now I’m like dam this didn’t come out until 1968 if I’m right. So not correct engine for car although I did like how fast this car drove with this engine that’s why I bought it. Also not the throttle this guy jerry rugged it I had to address this as well. The exhaust headers are correct though I think. Any input would be helpful. I went out and bought a chrome 273 air breather and can’t use it on this quad 4b carb.now I gotta fine the correct air cleaner for this 318 because I am not taking this engine back out I’m stuck with it

View attachment 1715282368

View attachment 1715282369

View attachment 1715282372

View attachment 1715282373

View attachment 1715282374

View attachment 1715282375

View attachment 1715282376

View attachment 1715282367

View attachment 1715282370

View attachment 1715282371

E33007AF-57C3-4988-97C9-B2E3B55A31BC.jpeg

E7507320-262E-40A7-82D4-7C91CFD8FAA9.jpeg

F5A474F3-EE48-495F-B320-C8F3CB50BA80.jpeg

D36225EE-E8E2-4BBA-9537-CEA704316F7E.jpeg

7DA5FA04-EC1A-4D2D-AFA4-DBECE8B5AD30.jpeg

43969D29-7A17-44AC-B6A3-EBD3A1084A6F.jpeg

39C164A2-1D87-48D3-B05A-420F75F68740.jpeg

479D9DA7-792D-4E03-A516-C99533D2273C.jpeg

That's a quadrajet carb that's why the linkage is that way. GM garb
The old wizzard on the side of the road trick. But man the car drives so good , I drove it home just like that with no air cleaner and a one gallon gas can for a fuel tank. Good looking out though gotta see which carb I will go with and how to match a linkage that will go with the set up

yeah, q-jet.

maybe it's an 80's police engine

It probably has a thermoquad intake on it and the prev. owner threw a Q jet on it.

Looks like a late model engine with that bracket on the passenger valve cover. Also that appears to be an aluminum intake, performer maybe?

Looks like a late model engine with that bracket on the passenger valve cover. Also that appears to be an aluminum intake, performer maybe?
Edlebrock

I went out and bought a chrome 273 air breather and can’t use it on this quad 4b carb.
AFAIK Q-jet and AFB both have the same air horn diameter. So what is interfering? Simplest short term may be modifying the air cleaner base.
Another dimension to check is hood clearance. Factory used single plane intakes on those cars, and this engine has aftermarket high rise intake. Gently shut the hood with some clay or a wad of aluminum foil to check the distance.

Also note the throttle . This guy jerry rigged it I have to address this as well.
The rod which has been cut and lashed is for the transmission. It regulates hydraulic pressure in the transmission's throttle circuit and is very important. The more the throttle is opened, the more pressure in that circuit. If you keep that carb, you can do a nicer job. Most people call it the kickdown linkage.

You can use the existing valve covers or you can use just about any others that fit LA engines.
The factory covers for a 4 bbl 273 had fins glued to the top - pretty sharp looking. The standard covers did not and will work just as well. If you use either you can then follow the factory routing for wires.

Nothing wrong with a Q-jet if you want to keep it. Choke or no choke not as important where you are than most locations. I'm guessing this is a later one - perhaps even from a Chrysler. If you want to replace it, its probably on a spreadbore intake. If so, go with a spreadbore carb like a Thermoquad. T-quad is relatively short and will also help keep the fuel cooler.

Put a PCV valve on it. That will reduce the oil on everything.
When you get a round to it find a radiator hose that fits and also set the fuel filter so the outlet is a little higher than the inlet.
Have fun.
upload_2019-1-29_9-23-59.png

AFAIK Q-jet and AFB both have the same air horn diameter. So what is interfering? Simplest short term may be modifying the air cleaner base.
Another dimension to check is hood clearance. Factory used single plane intakes on those cars, and this engine has aftermarket high rise intake. Gently shut the hood with some clay or a wad of aluminum foil to check the distance.

The rod which has been cut and lashed is for the transmission. It regulates hydraulic pressure in the transmission's throttle circuit and is very important. The more the throttle is opened, the more pressure in that circuit. If you keep that carb, you can do a nicer job. Most people call it the kickdown linkage.

You can use the existing valve covers or you can use just about any others that fit LA engines.
The factory covers for a 4 bbl 273 had fins glued to the top - pretty sharp looking. The standard covers did not and will work just as well. If you use either you can then follow the factory routing for wires.

Nothing wrong with a Q-jet if you want to keep it. Choke or no choke not as important where you are than most locations. I'm guessing this is a later one - perhaps even from a Chrysler. If you want to replace it, its probably on a spreadbore intake. If so, go with a spreadbore carb like a Thermoquad. T-quad is relatively short and will also help keep the fuel cooler.

When you get a round to it find a radiator hose that fits and also set the fuel filter so the outlet is a little higher than the inlet.
Have fun.
View attachment 1715282407
Thanks also . It was one of those deals I couldn’t pass up I had to get the car a here take my money type situation. I will take some more pix today also the phone c with the scale or ruler on it sows the problem I just didn’t load up the pic of the one I ordered off peebay but the guy has a pic and it’s way smaller even though it’s for a four barrel

Have fun.
View attachment 1715282407

C0353CD6-2CF5-4AB6-BBF4-7DF1120AC3D9.png

The original HP273 chrome air cleaner base fits the original carb which is smaller than the over the counter Edelbrock AFB/AVS carbs. I bought a cheap chrome air cleaner just for the base when I put a 600 Edelbrock on my 273.

The original HP273 chrome air cleaner base fits the original carb which is smaller than the over the counter Edelbrock AFB/AVS carbs. I bought a cheap chrome air cleaner just for the base when I put a 600 Edelbrock on my 273.
Well since I was told it was a 273 I wanted to get what was made for it but now that I know it’s a 318 I want to get the correct cleaner for that engine hopefully I can close hood here let me get pic of the other one I’m getting ready to buy, well scratch that just noticed it’s a two barrel unless,,,, I switch to a 2 barrel carb

55FC2F9A-56B5-49F3-8DF0-FBB764B5DF25.png

That may be correct for the engine but not for the car. If you don't have a air cleaner you need something on there. It looks like you have other issues to iron out before concerning yourself with the correct air cleaner.

So the simple and cheap answer is to buy a cheap air cleaner base, new or used. Cheap because it still may need some mods to fit the particular Qjet top.
Save the original base in case you put on an original AVS, or resell it and recoupe your money.

So the simple and cheap answer is to buy a cheap air cleaner base, new or used. Cheap because it still may need some mods to fit the particular Qjet top.
Save the original base in case you put on an original AVS, or resell it and recoupe your money.
Yes yes I want and can’t wait to drive this car tonight I’m going to start a thread showing all the stuff I’ve gathered for this car and repairs I’ve made and and I’m the process of making cracked grill muggy weld repair, seats, oh man the seats defogger , the letters or script tail lens lol, whisper switch repair, and so on.

318 police car air filter housing for a thermoquad or quadrajet would fit, I actually have an 85 360 W-350 truck engine that has the factory mopar specific 800 CFM Quadrajet, but didn't get the air filter housing with it. That specific truck housing is usually too tall for an a body anyway. Manifold is indeed a performer 318/360 intake, you can tell by the script under front of carb. I would think that a 570 holley street avenger with a mopar linkage adapter bracket would be your best performance option, but I agree with Mattax and toolmanmike on the other issues and do as our friend TrailBeast tells others and get a magnum truck/van cable kickdown set up from the boneyard and save yourself some trouble with the transmission linkage.

Oh, and magnum exhaust manifolds if you can find them, there are threads that cover which ones fit what. Oh, grab the magnum starter, or late eighties mini starters, usually 30 bucks in a boneyard, save yourself some trouble before you have to change the slow grind stock starter. If it were me, though, headers... definitely headers, funding provided.

You can contact member “moparmatt2000”, he makes the air cleaner base that fits the commando lid, and has the 5” carb opening.

1AFEC1CE-8D9D-4A2B-B190-D62F6B54B81C.jpeg

-
Back