Deer season is comin...

-
Just got the 30-30 sighted in, Mike. Winchester lever action. Man, I love that gun. Great gun where I'm at for the brush surrounding me.
The same here 8) Good brush hunting but in my zone it's not permitted, Is that the side eject model ? Lov'em :cheers:

The same here 8) Good brush hunting but in my zone it's not permitted, Is that the side eject model ? Lov'em :cheers:

Where I hunt they just opened up to rifle last year. You could tell, too. For all the "booms" of the shotguns around us the loud "crack" of Pop's .44 Magnum Henry lever action and the Winchester was very distinctive.

The 30-30 is a Model 94, top ejector. Canadian Centennial commemorative. It's actually Pop's gun, too. Even has his name banded on the stock when it was given to him. But since they opened to rifle I decided to borrow it instead of taking out the 20 gauge.

Check this out!

I just got a call from a buddy of mine from Church.

He was picked for a hunting lottery out of thousands of applicants to go hunt one of three large islands next to a massive man made lake up north.

He is allowed to take a buddy and his Son can't go so I got the call because it is archery only and we have been trying for the past couple years to hunt together but the properties he hunts he can only invite one guest which is usually his Son.

Luckily he has a nice sized boat and knows that lake very well so the plan is to boat to the island this Tues, scout a portion of the 150 acre island and find a couple nice spots.

Boat back in that night, sleep in the boat and sneak in before day break.
We can hunt all week long into Sunday but hopefully we each bag one especially since the hear is pretty big they say which is why they are calling people in to thin them out a bit.
He was told that only 10 guys were selected for the hunt and each guy can bring a guest.
so that means three islands for 20 guys to hunt, not bad, and the deer are in full blown rut right now.

He just had a 8 point buck follow him right into his spot the other day (smelled the estrus on his boots) but he did not have a chance to set up or load his crossbow yet and the buck took off- saw nothing the rest of the day.Doh!

I gotta get pics of this.

I guess you could say we aint gettin skunked. 3 on the hook and one layin on the ground in front of the Valiant. Brother got him this mornin. Plus the one Billy got saturday mornin. They're all quartered up and now headed for something to eat then come back and bone em out for summer sausage.. We're just 2.5 days into the season.
Small Block

Attachments

• Deer pics 2010 #2 002.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 106
Back straps are cut up and in the freezer. Tonite we ground 200 lbs of summer sausage and had enough spice for 100 lbs. Tomorrow we'll run down south and get some more spice and enough casing for another 200 lbs. That's 5 deer were doing tonite and we can figure another 5 before season is over. Should come out with maybe 150 2 lb tubes of summer sausage. This is when the fun starts. This time i sprayed a small amount of liquid smoke in the mix. We'll stuff the first 100 lbs tomorrow and put it in the smoker to cook for 8 hrs while we're workin up the other 100 lbs. Dont this look like fun? I'll do some pics of the stuffin for ya tomorrow.
Small Block

Attachments

• Deer pics 2010 #2 010.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 101
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 011.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 009.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 006.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 005.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 104
Wow, fun for the whole family!

Brings back memories of doing the cattle in my Father in law's basement.

We had a couple trophy hunters that would hunt the property for the trophies only and bring us the rest of the deer.

We would make sure we did a cow during the full rut that way we could have a freezer full of deer to do up before we would put everything away for the season.

I am sooooooo glad to see these pictures this morning of yall getting it dun Small Block. :happy10:
Know you can show the folks here that big smoker system you built.
Congratulations on a great couple days of deer season and enjoying it with your family, give your brother a hello for me :happy10:

Time to write a song

Doing it in the paint booth :-D

This year my son and i did ok here on our ranch in eastern Oregon. The bull was shot with a 45-70 open sights and is a 6x6. The buck was taken with my bow and is a 4x5 muley.

Attachments

• RSCN0796_1.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 91
  • RSCN0795_1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5432_1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 92
guys, there stuffed and on the smoker. Should come off at about 10 PM tonite. That's 100 lbs of sausage in that smoker. I know it will hold 200 lbs now. We're gona go get some more spice and do the other 100 lbs tomorrow.
Small Block

Attachments

• Deer pics 2010 #2 012.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 015.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 96
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 016.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 018.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 014.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 77
Hey Bill...wanna trade one of those sticks for a ring of PA white tail sausage???
My son shot a doe a few weeks ago, so it's good and fresh...

We went out Saturday for the last day of the archery season and didn't see anything. On Sunday my son was in his backyard, he lives on a few acres, and he said the biggest nicest 10 point he's ever seen walked across about 20 yards away from him and his daughter. We have rifle season in two weeks, so we'll get some more.

Dave

guys, there stuffed and on the smoker. Should come off at about 10 PM tonite. That's 100 lbs of sausage in that smoker. I know it will hold 200 lbs now. We're gona go get some more spice and do the other 100 lbs tomorrow.
Small Block

So you gunna sell some sausage or ??

If you do I am in just say the word!! My mouth is watering just looking at what you have going on there!

So you gunna sell some sausage or ??

If you do I am in just say the word!! My mouth is watering just looking at what you have going on there!

I can say first hand he sure knows how to do it Mad Dart =P~=P~=P~
I have enjoyed three sticks of it in the last three years YUMMMMM =P~=P~

If anybody was in deprestion, just go spend a couple days with Small Block and your hole outlook will change for the better 8)

You can buy as many antlerless deer tags as you have money. Only one buck allowed. Here's another antlerless one from this evening.
Small Block

Attachments

• Deer pics 2010 #2 020.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Deer pics 2010 #2 019.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 103
I am so glad you are taking pictures now Small Block :happy10:eek:r should I say "Wild Bill" :-D
Yall sure are staying busy and making the best of the season up there
See ya soon =P~=P~=P~=P~

That sure is a fat deer Bill. They never have that much fat on them up here. At least where I hunt.

On another note, My hunting buddy and I made our first batch of sausage last week. We made 100 brats and 100 mild italian. I would have to say not bad for our first attempt, very edible. I think the brats were smoked a little to long but other than that they turned out great. Not to dry and a nice texture. We used 80% moose and 20% pork.

Jack

Got another one in this evening. A SMALL button buck that i know didn't weigh 40 lbs. I cooked the liver as soon as i washed it up and put it on the griddle in the shop. First liver of the season. I was just waiting on a young one. That's #7 and more in the morning. This summer sausage is killer to say the least. I'll do some more pics tomorrow.
Small Block

Hey smallblock and Memike I found some pics from my dad's place. He is the one in the pictures and this is his shed. We have taken these bucks over the years in Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. The one on the wall scores 190" and was taken in Kansas on my uncles place quite a few years ago. I thought these might get ya motivated. LOL

The last picture is a picture of a picture that my uncle took one year. The bucks were locked up and coyotes started eating the buck that lost. Pretty strange huh?

Attachments

• racks4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 68
  • racks3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 61
  • racks2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 80
  • racks1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 70
  • racks.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 66
  • racks5.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 70
And i'm not even goin to call ya a showoff. Those are very nice. I always love seein horns but i like the taste of sausage better. A guy here in the area has a 2000 acre deer farm and he sells hunts for the big boys for $15,000 a pop. Last year he brought us a cull if you will to make sausage out of. He's been talking about culling 40 does from the herd. That's where i come in.
Small Block

-
Back