Del buys another stereo microscope, stupid

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I'm not gonna tell you all WHY yet, this might not "work." This is for doing close up work stuff like soldering. I have parts and pieces of about 3 of these but nothing that fits this head with a boom arm like this. 125 US shipped to my door. You guys can laugh when it doesn't work, but if it does I will be jumping up and down!!!

BL_ebay.jpg

I'm not gonna tell you all WHY yet, this might not "work." This is for doing close up work stuff like soldering. I have parts and pieces of about 3 of these but nothing that fits this head with a boom arm like this. 125 US shipped to my door. You guys can laugh when it doesn't work, but if it does I will be jumping up and down!!!

View attachment 1715063378
Del, I do admire you, for realisation, of possibilities... It exists, for a reason.. And You are willing, to persue an outcome... My hat, is off..,..to you,Del...

Del, I have used those microscopes at work for the last 30 years. They are very useful for all types of projects and they save yourself from getting eye strain. Good choice.

Del, I have used those microscopes at work for the last 30 years. They are very useful for all types of projects and they save yourself from getting eye strain. Good choice.

As I alluded to above, there IS a motive. If it works out, I'll tell ya about it

Del, I do admire you, for realisation, of possibilities... It exists, for a reason.. And You are willing, to persue an outcome... My hat, is off..,..to you,Del...
Thanks!! Too bad so many of us are scattered about. It's a shame more of us can't get together

Those are great for looking at PC boards for burned components, trace breaks and reading the ingredients of Red Bull.

Well I spent a good part of the day moving stuff in the basement so I can get to my junkyard of a bench, and then actually rebuild parts of some scopes. Heck I MAY not need the one I just bought!!!
Below, one of the original scopes, an antique Spencer. The base is VERY heavy. These are the pieces not used, the old boom, focusing rack, and scope head

The reason the old Spencer has to go is the field of view is narrow, the shortest objective, at 1.X is still "too much" and besides...............
IMG_0980.JPG

I had just the boom and head mount of a newer series, you can put different heads in this holder. But to get it to focus, it had to get the objective closer to the bench (or raise the work) The original stand column had a step, so I machined that down, the brass area, so the boom mount would go lower on the stand. The stand column has a rack to raise it, so it will still go up some

IMG_0985.JPG

The new head had to mount like this to get it close enough to the bench, but the clamp screw was then hidden from access. I milled a half round in the yoke so I can access the clamp screw

IMG_0986.JPG

"Roughed" together and working. This is a zoom head, the smallest eyepieces I have are a set of 9X and a set of wide field 10X. They are more than plenty even at the minimum, .7X zoom. With the head focused at working height, I can get my hand "on edge" between the work surface and the objective, so maybe 3"--4" working room

IMG_0988cs.JPG

Now I am going to spend most of this week practicing "back up to speed" on soldering, desoldering, etc............and of course await the "new" scope from ebay.........which I may not need!!!!!

Last edited:
By far one of the most interesting guys i know of.

Subscribed, i want to see where this goes

-
Back