Del is experimentally "throwing in the towel" re: NO smart phone EVER

-
Cheeeese and rice.... the lengths some people will go just to avoid what? Just get a cheap and CURRENT phone and be done with it. Or don't do it at all. The time you spent trying to save a few bucks quickly went down the drain.
I think Del likes the challenge. It's not all about the $$$ :)

My 93 year old Aunt's funeral was yesterday and we were telling stories of memories.

In 1984, at 21 years old, I joined the Army Reserve. After boot camp I went home to Pennsylvania before having to to report to training in Georgia.

I drove my pickup from Pennsylvania to Marietta Georgia right to my Aunt's house!!

NO cell phone, No GPS. How did I do that????? We were much smarter without "smart" phones.

I use a smart phone daily but I try not to allow it to rule my life.

I can understand having a "smart phone" if you have your own business these days, but other than that, I don't need OR want one. I have a flip phone, it rings/vibrates when I get a call & I can make calls. I think it's great that I can make a call from pretty much anywhere now, & 30 years ago, that was pretty much unheard of, & that's amazing enough to me. I can text if I need to & I can access the web if I pay extra for that convenience, but I personally don't need or want to. If I want to get on the computer, I can wait until I get home, there is NOTHING that important on-line to me that I need to access it right away, but that's just me. I see people on their phones ALL the time, oblivious to the world around them & it's taken over their lives & they don't even know it, YIKES! I'll keep my life as simple as possible thank you.
I've/we have made it all these years without them (us older folks), so I don't need one now. Their kind of bulky, not able to take much abuse at all, (They could make them almost bullet-proof, but they don't, purposely) & just more technology than I really need at this point in my life.

We were much smarter without "smart" phones.
I have a geezer flip phone. Good enough for me. All it has to do is take calls and make calls.
Rarely use it.
I wouldn't even have one if my wife didn't want me to have one...

I use the internal speaker a lot on phone calls, if'n you are outside in a reasonably quiet area it works OK. I was able to pick up a shotgun at a gun show for a great deal. I had no idea of it's current value, but was able to bring it up on my smarter than me phone, it was a good enough deal, it came home with me, lol..
Yeh, this is one of the reasons..............

Most cell phones have internet access as well as capable of being a hot spot.
Probably even better service than your local coffee shops.
HEY Greg I woke up this morning, and "you" banged my brain!!!. So you are saying? That if my present phone is capable of being a hotspot, that I could use an out of service smartphone to connect to it via wireless/ bluetooth and I would only need one account?

As far a s a mobile phone goes, a flip phone is pretty hard to beat. Just the phone part though. Texting sucks and the camera's are sketchy. (which I use a lot)
The camera on this Kyocera is REALLY sucky. It is a far worse camera than my older 2g, smaller, LG was by far I rarely use them, anyhow.

You know...

You can have the best of both worlds...

Screenshot_20231001-091908.png

HEY Greg I woke up this morning, and "you" banged my brain!!!. So you are saying? That if my present phone is capable of being a hotspot, that I could use an out of service smartphone to connect to it via wireless/ bluetooth and I would only need one account?
If the main phone has the hotspot function, yes.
My Sons phone doesn’t have service right now, and he has a hard time justifying getting back in service because he doesn’t want it bugging him at work and he simply uses the wireless (hotspot) here at the house.
Even when he does want to use it on a break or something, he just connects to the hotspot at work and uses internet phone and app messaging.

On Apple phones you can text, video call, and make and receive phone calls for free without cell service. Just have to be hooked up to Wi-Fi and turn on the Wi-Fi phone service. I assume there is something similar on Android.

If the main phone has the hotspot function, yes.
My Sons phone doesn’t have service right now, and he has a hard time justifying getting back in service because he doesn’t want it bugging him at work and he simply uses the wireless (hotspot) here at the house.
Even when he does want to use it on a break or something, he just connects to the hotspot at work and uses internet phone and app messaging.
AAAAAANNNNDDddddddd....................LOL we are learning a bit more. Turns out I have the cheapest, not-exactly-shown-on-the-website "talk and text" plan for 30 a month, so no internet (on the flip). That means for it to use the hotspot feature--which the flip has--I'd have to upgrade to at least 45 a month

The issue I see with that is, if my flip quits or whatever, I'm "completely" dead. So I think for now, I'm going to just go with the cheapest I can get on the new phone as a separate, independent number--which I may or may not keep, and leave it at that. This will cost me more, total, and that may change in the future.

I just use my phone for basic needs, learning is painful to do sometimes. You can get a decent Android phone that you CAN do more with it if you choose to, the 1–3-year older models are $1-200.00 & a basic 4g-5g data & 5GB a month for $15.00 a month. I use Mint mobile, it's a pre-paid plan. Sometimes you just need to upgrade somewhat.

. Turns out I have the cheapest, not-exactly-shown-on-the-website "talk and text" plan for 30 a month, so no internet (on the flip). That means for it to use the hotspot feature--which the flip has--I'd have to upgrade to at least 45 a month
I have Net 10, brought my own phone, unlimited text and calling and 5GB data for 35.00 and change, month to month, no contract.

I just use my phone for basic needs, learning is painful to do sometimes. You can get a decent Android phone that you CAN do more with it if you choose to, the 1–3-year older models are $1-200.00 & a basic 4g-5g data & 5GB a month for $15.00 a month. I use Mint mobile, it's a pre-paid plan. Sometimes you just need to upgrade somewhat.
Who and where are you getting this 15 a month?

I have Net 10, brought my own phone, unlimited text and calling and 5GB data for 35.00 and change, month to month, no contract.
Well CRAP, Dana. I searched "Net 10" who I've never heard of and this:

"
Is NET10 being discontinued?

Now that NET10 is part of Verizon, how does this affect me? Your current NET10 Service Plan will remain available for use on VoLTE-ready phones at least until Nov. 23, 2024. You will continue to enjoy your wireless service and do not need to take any action until we notify you."

Net 10 was a cousin to TracFone

The Verizon buyout is a new thing. Like in the last week

I had the son of Tracfone for awhile, known as Straight Talk, through Wally mart. IT SUCKED, AKA customer service. When Verizon established a competing service, I went back to them. THEIR customer service sucked up to last time I dealt with them, which has been some time. "I heard" they changed some management. Last week when I talked to Verizon about this "new" phone, I got some sweetie pie that was just INCREDIBLY patient and helpful, AND articulate. But the phone would not "take" the program (why we are waiting on mailed sims) and I was transferred to some guy with an accent. Even though he was also trying and helpful, I did have trouble understanding his accent.

I'd say Verizon has tried to improve service some what.

Around here, they do have the best coverage, although, I don't know anymore, who all pirates off their backbone

I DID tonight get on Google and Phlakebook and Marketpharce but I don't care at all how Marketpharce looks I'll have to screw with settings. This of course is all off my wireless.

No doubt....

Net 10 has the world's worst customer service. But I have been using them for 17 years and have not needed to contact them but a few times in that time.

Mine rings constantly with idiots trying to sell me funeral insurance or some kind of medic are plan C or some kind of other bs and hell I only 50.......wtf....most are scams and spam
What? No Car warranty calls?

Found you another new phone, Del....

View attachment 1716149520
I may still have one of those. I was going to try and turn it into a (cough) illegal link setup, but there is no way that I know of to put the receiver freq of one phone on the same freq as the tx freq of another phone. I used to have a big list of "secret" service commands.

Also, I used to have one of those modules that was specially made. It had an internal interface, and the jack was a standard telco landline instrument RJ. You feed it power and antenna. You plug in a landline phone. You pick up the phone, you get dialtone, and you dial the phone. JUST like a landline phone!!

-
Back