delete

-
Have you checked the oil level?
Is it the right dip stick for the engine?
Have you checked the oil preassue switch? Sometimes when it doesn't work you hear that noise when the oil level is to low and the warning light is out of order.
Have you checked that the rocker arms are tightened properly against the heads?

To change the oil pump you need to take down the oil pan or bring the engine out of the bay.

Sounds like low oil pressure to me. As mentioned....low oil level? Diluted oil? Loose oil pump? Start with the oil level and quality. If you have never done an oil change on this engine, now's the time. Drain the old stuff, replace the filter and add 5 quarts of new and fire it up. Run it a good 15 minutes and see what the pressure is now. If it still jumps around and has intermittent lifter noises, you may have a loose pump or a dislodged pickup screen. If the oil pressure goes down when you rev the engine, you may have a clogged screen. To correct any of those, you need to pull the pan off.

Sounds like you got alot of stuff clogging thr pickup screen. OR or presure relief valve is sticking.

I have never seen an oil pump just "go out". There is always, always, always an outlying cause. Whether it's debris in the pickup screen stopping it up, worn bearings, or something getting past the screen and locking the oil pump down, something else is almost always the cause. The oil pump spends its life pretty much submerged in oil, so it doesn't lack for lubrication. So if it was mine, I would do some investigative work before just slappin a pump on it and callin it done.

-
Back