delima on what engine to go with....poll

what engine would you build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

turbofreek

batcrap crazy racing team
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a turbo engine to run 8.50's and quicker. I've got a 400 laying around with a lot of new parts, but no true engine parts to handle it. I've debated a newgen hemi and even bought a 2nd gen hemi mega block still in the box for a massive hemi. Problem is I'm out of patience and just want a bad *** driver. Hopefully that can run some very low 5's in the 1/8 to boot. Where do I go from here? Build a hemi hemi, a wedge stroker, or a newgen for being a least likely to be copied or have been build? I'm all about not following everyone else's park and want to be different. What would you do. Money is not a concern, but a bothersome problem of guilt of me spending it on wasteful items such as a money pit called a hemi.

If spending money can cause guilt I'd say go Gen2 Hemi. The reason is that you know it will work.

I would suggest building a stroker, but only with an aftermarket block. The best of the 400 blocks (pre 10/11/71) will only handle up to 650 - 700 HP tops whereas the aftermarkets will give you at least 850 HP no problem.

Good luck with whatever you do!

I vote new-gen. There are a number of guys running mid 9's in their heavy LX cars (4000+ pounds) with supercharged or turbocharged new gen hemi's.

Buy a 6.1 block for ~$900, build a 392 with a SCAT crank (1200), get a set of the new 6.4 heads (~$1000-1500 + porting), and go for it. Billet caps, billet rods, good pistons - she's good for 1400-1800 hp (depending on which stroke you pick).

Run it with FAST XFI or some equivalent ($3000). Jerry has a couple he likes better, and I'll be running megasquirt 3x (cheaper - $1000-1800).

Talk to Craig or Alex at GTP for the heads
Talk to Jerry at Sharadon performance about 7000+ rpm (valvetrain modifications)
Stu at Inertia builds a number of short blocks
Steve at Frank Racing has spec'd some good cams

franks racing is closed last i was told.

i vote a TT 3gen hemi. are you sure you want to go 8.50 and faster and have it be a street car. because the roll cage with the funny car cage arround the driver and the X style door bars will make it really hard to get in and out of. then you will only be good to 7.50. after that your talking SFI spec cages. and i think most sfi cages require cromoly cages. so if you plan on getting faster that 8.50 do yourself the favor of going with cromoly. that way you can add on to it once you have a need to go even faster.

I vote new-gen. There are a number of guys running mid 9's in their heavy LX cars (4000+ pounds) with supercharged or turbocharged new gen hemi's.

Buy a 6.1 block for ~$900, build a 392 with a SCAT crank (1200), get a set of the new 6.4 heads (~$1000-1500 + porting), and go for it. Billet caps, billet rods, good pistons - she's good for 1400-1800 hp (depending on which stroke you pick).

Run it with FAST XFI or some equivalent ($3000). Jerry has a couple he likes better, and I'll be running megasquirt 3x (cheaper - $1000-1800).

Talk to Craig or Alex at GTP for the heads
Talk to Jerry at Sharadon performance about 7000+ rpm (valvetrain modifications)
Stu at Inertia builds a number of short blocks
Steve at Frank Racing has spec'd some good cams
X2 although a 6.1 block and stroker crank comes out to a 426, the 5.7 with a stroker crank comes out to 392, or at least that's what I've read, the new Kenne-bell 3.6 liter super charger is good for over 1400 hp in a 3rd gen and it still fits under the hoods of the chargers and challengers. good luck with whatever you decide.

if moneys no problem, then just buy an Indy Predator Motor lol, my bosses makes 1371 hp w no nitrous, that should get you a littlemore than 5s haha

Steve frank still specs cams, and a few other things. That's about it, though.

A 4.05-4.08" crank is used for a 426 build 6.1 based (or 392 5.7 based), a 3.795 crank is used for a 392 build 6.1 based (or ~383 5.7 based). For FI, it is recommended to stick to the stock 3.58 stroke or the 3.795 stroke, for longevity. The block is said to be good for 1400 with 4.0+ inch stroke and 1800 hp for 3.58" stroke.

To go that fast, you're going to need a lot more than a motor....Some of the other components might help you decide the best plan for a build. Get an NHRA rule book to see what you'll need for those times. Write down what all you plan to put into the car from rear axle, to front brakes, to roll cage. To keep it streetable, you'll probably have to have a milder engine with a big turbo or blower. A full race engine is a P.I.T.A. on the street.

I voted for a big 2g Hemi. Largely hoping that you are working on an A-Body and am interested in seeing what it would take to get a turbo or 2 on a Hemi A-Body.......

Freek, I thought you had disappeared off the scene?

No I'm still around, just burnt out. Trying to get motivated again, but this is not helping. I deleted my turboforums account but I'm still on there occasionally user name turbo.

Guys,
The car has a built braced 9", 40spline axles, Wilwood all around, etc.... 25.5 or 25.3 spec cage is in the plans. So knowing what IS needed wasn't my question. Thanks for that anyway. Drag week is in the equation, but more so. I'm not going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars for a race car only. It has to be streetable or why own one. Lord knows its for putting around not street racing.

Predator stuff, I said streetable(meaning reliable),

Superchargers, read my user name its insulting to use a belt,

And to the guy who said a good 400 block is pre 1971. You probably shouldn't reply to much of anything technical. Stock 400 blocks have been 1000hp+ some 1500 with a certain date code after your claimed 1971 bit.

I am truly surprised by how even the poll is after a hundred votes. Crazy and makes it difficult no doubt. Perhaps ill just air up my tires on my bicycle and ride the neighborhood?

Get your ADHD fixed and then you'll get sumthin done.

If you were realyl serious about an 8.50 combo, you would not be looking at a factory block except with the new Gen hemi. Not sure what you;ve done in the past, but 8.50s is a serious commitment, and nothing to put to a vote...lol.

If you were realyl serious about an 8.50 combo, you would not be looking at a factory block except with the new Gen hemi. Not sure what you;ve done in the past, but 8.50s is a serious commitment, and nothing to put to a vote...lol.

Seriously, 8.50's is on the slow side, but I'm trying to be conservative in my goals. It's a 275 radial car looking to run much faster then 8.50's, but I may be satisfied with running those et's if its reliable. I know a stock b block could do that, but at the limits of it. I just have one laying around I could throw together. I really want a true hemi, but size constraints and cost is a bothersome thing. I've got a block to build one, but nothing else like costly heads and valvetrain I would need to complete it. So I can sell it quickly and go into a new gen, but I don't want to sell myself short on its limited power handling ability. The newgen is really like to be able to showcase it as well and seems fairly easy and inexpensive to build for the goal. Again, I'm all about being different here and still fast.

Overall goal, 4.99 1/8th and drive it to and from the track. Huge feat to do, but I would like the challenge.

Based on the overall costs of everything....and your foot in the door (on already having A BLOCK) this is almost a No-Brainer.

All 400's are "smog era" engines.....low Compression, Big Bore, Short Stroke....ect.....the compression needs to stay the same @ 8.5:1, but add a bigger cam, with more lift and duration, ARP Head Studs....And it will be nearly Boost ready.

To reach 1000whp with a single turbo....the turbo would need to be Larger than 90mm on the exducer of the turbine wheel....so figure a 106mm Compressor Large Frame T6 turbocharger....the engine would need to be setup to optimize the new flow, and should be good for 400hp NA before being boosted 20+ psi....for the 1500 crank hp it will have the ability to spew....and at least (1) 50mm wastegate.

It will need a minimum of 5" exhaust after the turbo.

I vote Single turbo 400 Bigblock...hands down.

-
Back