Demon 340 exhaust build routes?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in process of installing exhaust in my 340 Demon. Up front I have Dougs Headers and I cam off those with a Dougs 3" X pipe. I bought the 2 1/2" custom over the axle tailpipes from Accurate exhaust to go on my chrome tips out the back. I wanted to do the 3" all the way including the mufflers and reducing it to the 2 1/2" on the back of the mufflers. I was wondering what the best way to get the fit good. I am starting at the back with the tip hangers moving forward to the hangers at the rear of the mufflers. Seems the passenger side only needs a small straight interim pipe to go from the muffler front to the Xpipe. The drivers side seems to be cockled a bit on the muffler. Hard to line it all up when it is loose. I did have to get a small reducer for the rear of the muffler to do the 3" to 2 1/2" deal. Should I just start clamping with muffler clamps from the back going forward, so it will sit still for me. Maybe just snug the clamps down to hold things in place as I go? I was originally going to start welding things, but my better judgement feels I may paint myself into an expensive do over corner? HELPEEEEEEEE...
Oh, the motor is a 416 stroker motor, is why I decided on 3" thru the mufflers which are 14" mufflers........

snug the clams slightly, and work your way forward. once its all done and fitment looks good, weld permantly.

Now I've allways worked from the engine and worked toward the rear. It was how I was taught and what works for me.

Honestly, start some where and slightlly tighten and work the kinks out that way. Doing it yourself on your back is very tough as just the wrong tilt of the head and it looks off. I've had really good luck with band style clamps. Welding (i own a welding shop) is sweet but really tough if you ever need to remove something like a transmission or stuff. I had a 72 Demon 340 before my current one with 3" before the mufflers and 2.5" over the rear. Sounded really good and the guy (lets call him Billy T) did an increadible job offf the Headman headers. Alot of tweeking as nothing is an exact fit. Especially when you piece the system together with parts from diffrent vendors. Even the muffler choice can throw a monkey wrench into the alignment. Just remember, it take patience and time.
Good luck,
Joe

-
Back