Demon / Duster 1/4 window mods (roll up)

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I hav had this ambitious idea of trying to figure out how to do a custom mod on the 1/4 windows of my Dodge Demon Pro Touring car.

THE MOD: Turn the 1/4 windows into functioning roll up / power windows

Well I had left this mod idea sit in the back of my brain for a while now, but on my way to work I passed two cars that very much reminded me of this mod. One was a 70 Chevelle, and the other was a 73 Dart. Both had their rear windows rolled all the way down and it just looks so natural.

I have a car with the 1/4's cut off so I have a the perfect opportunity to be able to see what interferes etc etc etc.

YES I know the mods will be HUGE to do what the factory never did, but should have, but that's what makes the challenge fun…

So while sitting here with a spare minute to kill at work I figured I would put it out there to see if anyone has ever attempted this or not?

I certainly have not tried it, but I do remember when the glass was out of my car for paint. It did look a lot better with the appearance of the back windows being down when all the glass was out. I have often thought about the possibility of this idea...

Well I took some pics of the test subject: As you can see I have full access to view what I'm am working with to test everything.

I can also see that the inner door panel area is already drilled with a series of holes and access panels. I would assume this is the same stamped pc as you would find on a 72+ Dart 2-door with rear roll down windows??

I can also see that the angled water drip pc will have to be removed in order to open up the space for the window to move down into… beyond this I am trying to determine a good donor set up to start with to modify the window tracks… any thoughts. 72+ dart with roll down windows? 66-67 charger maybe?

I'm even open to modifying the rear of window area if need be to make it work since I know the glass will need to be made custom. Luckily I have access to plexi lexan to work with for test pieces.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 638
  • image-2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 663
  • image-3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 635
  • image-4.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 643
When you mentioned the chevelle it got me thinking.......... What about the chevy nova rear window track assembly? It's designed to roll the rear quarter windows up and down and should be close in dimensions. The chevelle assembly is a possibility too... Either way it will take some fabrication on your end. Im thinking fabbed up 68-72 rear quarter window tracks and cranking assembly. You'll need custom cut glass or an adapter to align the duster glass up correctly. Then from there you just use an aftermarket kit for power windows. I've seen them for both the novas and chevelles.

When you mentioned the chevelle it got me thinking.......... What about the chevy nova rear window track assembly? It's designed to roll the rear quarter windows up and down and should be close in dimensions. The chevelle assembly is a possibility too but a little too bog I think...

I'll have to look at a picture of a Nova… it might be similar to a Chevelle. I know the Chevelle side window is actually a little smaller than the Demon glass. The track is also designed to lower the front faster and deeper than the rear. Which I think is something that is needed to pull it off on a Demon. Gonna resize the pics later tonight and repost so they make more sense… Hmmm the Nova / Chevelle direction might be a good start… I still think a Dart 2 door might work too.

I'll have to look at a picture of a Nova… it might be similar to a Chevelle. I know the Chevelle side window is actually a little smaller than the Demon glass. The track is also designed to lower the front faster and deeper than the rear. Which I think is something that is needed to pull it off on a Demon. Gonna resize the pics later tonight and repost so they make more sense… Hmmm the Nova / Chevelle direction might be a good start… I still think a Dart 2 door might work too.

It went thru several evolutions early models were similar to the dart, later versions looked similar to the duster. Over all shape wise. Which is why darts and dusters get called novas and vise versa.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Nova

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 613
TheMoparMan…. what year Nova is that pic? I see what you mean about the size and shape.

I have complete drivers side rear window track assembly from 1972 dart two door for sale in case you want to experiment.....I also have the glass for sale too but would not work without modification as the duster demon is more round and not as long.....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=282899

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=282898

Thanks… I will keep that in mind. I have a set already on the shelf from a 73 Dart that I am going to try to start with. I'm also looking into Nova & Chevelle tracks since that actually move the glass down and tilt it at the same time, which I think will be key to getting the glass to function and fit in the space.

You might also look into the first gen Camaro/Firebird if you have any nearby. I might have some pics of their setup, but I am a week out of having access to them.
C

You might also look into the first gen Camaro/Firebird if you have any nearby. I might have some pics of their setup, but I am a week out of having access to them.
C

When you get a chance post some pics of one. This is going to take some time to pull off and will most likely be a FABO group effort when I get stumped (LOL)

Does any one have a picture of a 72 or 73 dart (2 door) with roll down rear windows that is take from the inside of the car with the door panel off showing where everything is bolted etc? I want to compare that to what I have going on in my Demon.

TheMoparMan…. what year Nova is that pic? I see what you mean about the size and shape.

The 1968 to 1972 novas are exactly the same body wise. Only interrior and paint colors varied.
Side mirrors changed a little.

getting glass custom cut is no big deal (we used to get custom tempered glass all the time at the glass shop I worked at).
Getting it curved to the radius of the Duster side glass? Good luck lol.

I already have a glass company who does this type of work… so no luck needed on that one. All I need to do is supply them with a lexan template… The glass crazy enough is the easy part of this equation.

So I took a field trip today to pick up some parts for what I think will be a good start point for this attempt. Best part was the guy has several and had some still in the car with the 1/4 off so I could see how the glass travels. The pics are of glass in a 70 Chevelle, the parts I picked up are out of a 70 monte carlo exact same car. Based on how the glass moves, seals etc, I really believe that window frame in a Demon / Duster can be modified to allow a custom glass window to function in the exact same manor. As you can see the Chevelle window is curved very close to the same a Demon / Duster door glass…

Attachments

• IMG_3059.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_3058.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_3057.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_3049.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_3048.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 507
I already have a glass company who does this type of work… so no luck needed on that one. All I need to do is supply them with a lexan template… The glass crazy enough is the easy part of this equation.
interesting (unless you try to make a flat piece of lexan fit in there, of course:D)

This is really cool I love the look of big window openings, I think I'm gonna try this if you dont mind me stealing your idea

This is really cool I love the look of big window openings, I think I'm gonna try this if you dont mind me stealing your idea

Dive in… just post up what you do that works and what you do that doesn't work… as I will be doing along the way.

That is a Cool Idea! I wonder how much of a PITA it would be to do just from the Inside! :scratch:

well since you need to cut out the angled water shed pc in the very first picture I'm not sure how you would access it from the inside of the car. maybe by locating the spot welds and drilling them through? But you can't do anything till this pc is gone so you have room for the window.

-
Back