Denso alternator swap complete

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
My alternator took a crap at Mopars in the park. It was a lifetime warranty Napa unit. I used the warranty credit to purchase a 1985 Toyota 4 runner internal regulated unit. Got a core from the scrap yard for free ($50 core on new denso). Modified brackets with BFH. Total cost 24.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32499_10150191890185573_561290572_12989065_414837_n.jpg

hay how did you wire it ??? does it have the 1 big plug in the back with 4 wires????i have 1 i want to use just not sure of how to wire it...thanks

My alternator took a crap at Mopars in the park. It was a lifetime warranty Napa unit. I used the warranty credit to purchase a 1985 Toyota 4 runner internal regulated unit. Got a core from the scrap yard for free ($50 core on new denso). Modified brackets with BFH. Total cost 24.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32499_10150191890185573_561290572_12989065_414837_n.jpg

no offense out there to the GM 1 wire crowd but that alt you have there looks so much better than a gm on a mopar, actually looks kind of like a mopar alt. i like it. this will go on my list for sure.

no offense out there to the GM 1 wire crowd but that alt you have there looks so much better than a gm on a mopar, actually looks kind of like a mopar alt. i like it. this will go on my list for sure.

gm one wire is the ****, so take a big whiff.

I like the idea,I,m gonna have to take a trip to the wreckers and see what they have.Is it just the Pathfinder that theses alts. came on?

Just for grins. Does the Denso alternator have a smaller/less audible electromagnetic presence than Ma Mopar's? I'm running a huge antenna choke on the 73 to get the whine out of the sound system.

FWIW: I installed a cop car alternator on my car thinking more power on tap would be fine. The stock alternator was something like 46 amp and the cop car unit was nearly double that. Worked great til the battery got seriously discharged. It wasn't enough to keep the car from starting. When the engine fired, the Alternator gauge pegged and it died. After that, the engine would turn over and light. When I let go of the key, it died. A mechanic suggested that I by-pass the alternator by connecting both leads on the same post. The explanation was that the alternator was called upon to produce more amperage than the gauge could handle. Car fired and ran.

You got it to work with the stock brackets?

What's the wieght difference?

Thanks

Steve

I`ve got one on my big block Barracuda. More amps and internally regulated, so you can lose the voltage regulator. A nice upgrade!

I put one on a couple weeks ago. Got the alternator and brackets and pigtail in a kit for around $200 from Mancini. It's awesome. I can now idle at 800 rpm with the electric fuel pump, stereo, headlights, A/C on high and electric fan and it's still charging. My old alternator wouldn't charge below 1000rpm.

I called nwreg (company listed bottom page of web site post #3) for the pigtail. They said they had a minimum order of $100 but they would find a retail store that could sell me one. They gave me a call back 4 hours later saying they couldn't find anyone in the country with one so they will be shipping one at no charge.:cheers:

I called nwreg (company listed bottom page of web site post #3) for the pigtail. They said they had a minimum order of $100 but they would find a retail store that could sell me one. They gave me a call back 4 hours later saying they couldn't find anyone in the country with one so they will be shipping one at no charge.:cheers:

Wow, free is good! 440source.com once had a supplier for those pigtails.

I have been getting the connectors from alternators at the pull-a-part. The terminals can be removed easily, they are the locking tab type. Waytek sells the terminals (p/n 31073), but there is a 50pcs min. With the replacement terminals, you can either fabricate a pigtail or run the wires straight into the alt. and eliminate splices.

I have a similar plan ( Brain child ). Infact about a week ago the alt. in my 90 Geo Prizm stopped working. I din't find the yellow ire chaffed to ground until after I removed the unit. So I figured what the heck, Wife goes right by Altenators unlimited every day. I sent it to them for a rebuild.
I hope it finds a new home on my Commando engine someday. I want to delete its mechanical fuel pump to make space for that little alt there. Then I hope to put the smaller a/c compumper in the stock alt. location. Other parts I have gathered are the fuel pump delete plate and the stock alt. bracket from a earlier 273. That bracket is overkill for the alt. in design but should be a sufficient foundation for a compressor.
Pipe dreams, who wants a draw ? LOL

-
Back