Depression

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
How do you deal with depression without going on meds?

Humor,best medicine Cliff. Find/research things,that intrigue your mind.Lately for me,the effects of Axis powers of WW2. Coming from personal experience,pay attention to the small things.Make life much better.

Without knowing what the trigger is it is hard to say..

for me keeping busy doing things that positively effect my/your life good or bad! Attack the list of "things to do" it leads to feelings of accomplishment as they are completed and the loads are lifted. Control the things in life you have control over, worrying about things you can not control or trying to control the things you can not will lead to nothing but anxiety and depression or worse.

Humor,best medicine Cliff. Find/research things,that intrigue your mind.Lately for me,the effects of Axis powers of WW2. Coming from personal experience,pay attention to the small things.Make life much better.

Thanks I will try that. I really need to get out of this.

Speed--the real thing--chicks--if you can find some fun ones..might be tough where you are but I've never been there so who knows ??

Nice weather helps to pick me up--head to the beach but again, tough where you are at but least your spring comes earlier

Yeah, jet skiing and chicks on the beach--and back at your hotel room--should do the trick.

Now for the real world for where you are at..hmmm.

Any hobbies you enjoy, R/C cars and airplanes have gone down in prices and work really well--not like the junk I fooled with in the 80's

If your mopar is running, go for a ride down to the hobby shop, even if you just look and not just yet buy.

If your in to gyms, checkout a health club, if your more an outdoor person get a bicycle or a motor bike if you not in pedaling

When is hunting season or heck go target shooting at the range. We got a bow and arrow place near me--cause the freaken city outlawed it outdoors, lol so some outdoor sporting shop open an indoor range

You gotta find something you enjoy doing and not just dwell on things that get you down.

For me, a big help was getting into an exercise routine to get in shape. Though i'm not sure if its actually the exercise or the feeling of accomplishment that comes being able to recognize good results from the hard work i put into it. Or maybe even the simple act of having something in my life that i can control(arguably, most things we experience are reactive actions to circumstances)....and now re-reading this, i can simply say, exercise helped, no clue why, all 3 of those reasons sound possible.

Being out in the sunshine when it is warm and the sun shining in when it is cold. Buying a new toy. Accomplishing something that I want to instead of something I have to do. Getting some rest and good sleep so my mind is rested. Take a get away with just the wife and I for the weekend.

For me, a big help was getting into an exercise routine to get in shape. Though i'm not sure if its actually the exercise or the feeling of accomplishment that comes being able to recognize good results from the hard work i put into it. Or maybe even the simple act of having something in my life that i can control(arguably, most things we experience are reactive actions to circumstances)....and now re-reading this, i can simply say, exercise helped, no clue why, all 3 of those reasons sound possible.

They claim something goes on in the brain, like the runners "high" Your brain can release its own drugs- hormones, exercising triggers them. I don't think its fully understood

I even heard eating tomatoes can pick your mood up

Speed--the real thing--chicks--if you can find some fun ones..might be tough where you are but I've never been there so who knows ??

Nice weather helps to pick me up--head to the beach but again, tough where you are at but least your spring comes earlier

Yeah, jet skiing and chicks on the beach--and back at your hotel room--should do the trick.

Now for the real world for where you are at..hmmm.

Any hobbies you enjoy, R/C cars and airplanes have gone down in prices and work really well--not like the junk I fooled with in the 80's

If your mopar is running, go for a ride down to the hobby shop, even if you just look and not just yet buy.

If your in to gyms, checkout a health club, if your more an outdoor person get a bicycle or a motor bike if you not in pedaling

When is hunting season or heck go target shooting at the range. We got a bow and arrow place near me--cause the freaken city outlawed it outdoors, lol so some outdoor sporting shop open an indoor range

You gotta find something you enjoy doing and not just dwell on things that get you down.

I wish I could join a health club. But my back and hip won't let me.

I am Bi-Polar....medically diagnosed.

This is what I do:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Spliff-2.jpg

works like a charm.....I can forget a lifetime of badstuff....everyday.

Yeah but he said without drugs...now since your mind has its own meds, that is likely cool with him.

Problem with even weed is then your depend on it and it just clouds up the problem and when the weed is all gone, your problem re appears--sometimes worst.

I don't believe medical weed is allowed where he lives too, so he might even get busted, then he would really be down, lol

find a way to serve others ..it is very hard to be depress when you are involved In helping others

Go for a walk and you see things that you do not see before and think things that
you never think about before.
I walk everyday now after work, It is hard to get started but once going ,I feel
good.
You have a bad back do you Cliff?
Try something new.
Darryl

Go for a walk and you see things that you do not see before and think things that
you never think about before.
I walk everyday now after work, It is hard to get started but once going ,I feel
good.
You have a bad back do you Cliff?
Try something new.
Darryl

Yeah I have my 2nd ruptured disc in 21 years and I am too high risk to operate on according to my orthopedic

Yeah but he said without drugs...now since your mind has its own meds, that is likely cool with him.

Problem with even weed is then your depend on it and it just clouds up the problem and when the weed is all gone, your problem re appears--sometimes worst.

I don't believe medical weed is allowed where he lives too, so he might even get busted, then he would really be down, lol

I think the OP might mean not wanting to do SSRI's. If you're bipolar, medication will be the only effective option. However, simple depression isnt something that necessarily requires medication(depending upon the severity)

I will say, i've been on SSRI's and while they can be helpful(and did help in a greatly tangible way), the side effects suck.

I wish I could join a health club. But my back and hip won't let me.

I got it, a Spa...get a massage. Some cities frown upon them and then some are a rip off or are like for women mostly.

But Spa's are a legitimate business--many of them, checkout your yellow pages and make some calls if they are listed for your area

You get some company and companionship....last spa I was at had rap music blasting and really cool chicks but those aren't allowed in the US as far I know

But still, really, Spas are nice, they got all types and some have hot tubs and your back should feel better. Even if you got to travel a bit...a spa a week might keep the doctor at bay

I forgot swap meets and going to the auctions too. Those give me a real boost. The first swapmeet of the year for our area in Wichita, Kansas is coming up the first weekend of Feburary. Too bad the rental will not let me make that one.

[ame]http://wichitaas.com/swapmeet/swapmeetdocs/swap2013.pdf[/ame]

Try to keep busy with something...
My dad suffered from Depression,sometimes when it came on strong he would go to sleep and pray that he it would be gone when he woke.
I like the walking idea,even a short walk could develop into longer ones as you build up to it.
Play with your Grand babies !!!

Try to keep busy with something...
My dad suffered from Depression,sometimes when it came on strong he would go to sleep and pray that he it would be gone when he woke.
I like the walking idea,even a short walk could develop into longer ones as you build up to it.
Play with your Grand babies !!!

I do play with the granddaughters almost every day. Walking isn't doable right now.

I know where your coming from Bud. Been going thru the 1 step forward 2 steps back thing for 5yrs or so myself. Some good ideas here so far. The accomplishing thing really makes me feel better and as far as the warm, sun, outside stuff, that was great for me too. I was never more content then the 17yrs i lived in So. florida. I know you can't do a exercise routine, but if you can just move around some during the day it will help some. So far i've been strong enough to handle things, but the feelings of anxiety seem to pop up almost daily. As said earlier, the worst thing i found is to dwell on things you can't fix right now. That's why i pop on here dozen's of time a day just to give my mind a break. Haven't been very social, but just reading and making a comment here and there get's me moving on to something else. In the end, i'm not sure i'm any help, but i do understand. Stay strong my friend, better day's are ahead for both of us:thumrigh:.

stay busy doing things you want to do and need to do . keep your mind flowing with wish lists and things you want to accomplish. get that welder up and running. you wont have time to be depressed

Is this the first time you have been depressed? Try out some meditation and try finding new things to do. You probably have no interest in working on your car and doing other things you used to really enjoy. Google it, you would be surprised what sort of stuff the internet can help you with. Google 296.00 treatments. You will get more ligetimate results than if you were to google depression treatments.

-
Back