Detroit locker posi unit??

-
Yeah that's it. That's a damn good price on it too. I might be interested in the Detroit unit.

I will keep you in mind. I am probaly going to switch this out in the next few weeks. i thought this was a good price as well. I went to Randys ring and pinion site and he doesn"t have anything like this.

That would be cool. Just let me know. Good luck with it.

how it works..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXvH3T8Bsg&feature=related"]Detroit Truetrac - YouTube[/ame]

I think that is what I have in my car now. It was bought thru Randys ring and pinion about 5 years ago. I will fish out my receipt to double check. Anyone have one of these to know if there is a little slop in them like the detroit lockers?

I think that is what I have in my car now. It was bought thru Randys ring and pinion about 5 years ago. I will fish out my receipt to double check. Anyone have one of these to know if there is a little slop in them like the detroit lockers?

the true track is different then the detroit locker i though you were talking about.. the true track will be smooth.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBOoljH-qE"]Detroit Locker - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, it is defintely the true- trac I have now. It does not look at all like the Detroit locker. I bought it in 8/2002. Very little miles on it. Like I said it may be damaged. I guess it should be taken apart and looked at. Than again maybe it has always had slop to it.

I talked to Randy's ring and pinion, based off my part # it is a Detroit locker. He informed me they do have slop and the Truetrac does as well, but not as much. Nobody seems to be carrying the Dana power-loc's anymore for 30 spline 8 3/4. Everyone that list them shows them as out of stock items..The end of an era possibly...

Dang, just buy a used one at a show or swap meet, install clutches and go....

Here's the usual problem with that. You are generally buying a set of gears and case at a swap meet you don't need, or probaly will never use. $200-$400. than buy a clutch pack $75.00 (That a few guys tell me need trimmimg to fit properly) than you might as well put a bearing kit, because why take the chance on a used set. $110.00. Than labor for those who can not do it for themselves. $50- $150.00. You have a minimal $385.00 for the do-it yourselfer and up to $700.00 depending on circumstances. Just saying if I can buy a new power-loc for $350.-$400. that is the greater value, and there is a few sites out there that had them in this price range, but are out of stock due to limited production now.
I will let this topic die for now. I have a good cone style that I will use for now, until I break or come across a Power-loc.

I think the cone style units life can be extended a bit. Read something about machining the cones to fit correctly again? but it was a real long time ago..

Just buy a standard Mopar sure grip unit used. They are tough. You can get the rebuild kit and build it yourself and it will be as strong as new.

I dont follow your logic at all. The swap meet buy, just look for the ratio you want, with the sure grip allready there, should be able to find a nice setup for 4 or 5 hundred, READY to drop in... If you COULD even buy your new unit for 350-400, you still aint got a case, gears, bearings, ect.

i have a new one in the box with tags wrapped in plastic saying saying LS-325 b assembled by nov 3 1972 z,,,,does anyone now what that would be to...thanks

i have a new one in the box with tags wrapped in plastic saying saying LS-325 b assembled by nov 3 1972 z,,,,does anyone now what that would be to...thanks

I have used the d locker in a 600 horse p/u, w/ absolutely no problems. just don`t goose it in a turn. and my friends it is great on the dragstrip. seen spools break, posi`s and limited slips go out, shelled rear gears( afew of my own before we went to a dana 60) have never seen a locker break in a ford or mopar! they are strong! just fyi "ps, pull that puppy out and send it to me) will pay the freight-----bob

I have only had the lockers in a few fords. They do make a racket and it took awile for me to get used to this and not be concerned it was about to fail. Never did. This is in ford truck Dana's.
The Dana's in my mopars are power loc's. My favorite differential by far. Street driven only.
With the 4-speed transmissions I always use the 35 spline axles and can treat them as mean as I want without any breakage. All of the power loc's I own were bought out of a local salvage yard used. I went out to the yard with a jack and bought every one they had one day.75.00 each.
10 years ago. These were 3/4 ton truck axles various makes. 7 total.
I opened them all up and replaced the clutch plates on all. Some were wore bad some probably were still OK. I changed all the side gears to 35 spline on the units that didnt have them already and pinion yokes to use the large Mopar universal joints. Cut the housings down and welded on the 8 3/4 flange ends.
I had broke 5 8 3/4 differentials up to that day on the street not track and just got tired of it.
If you are going to play rough with your Mopar get the Dana and quit wasting money on the 8 3/4 they always failed me for various reasons. Even had a couple twist the pinion gear in two.
This has been my experience and what has worked well for me.
These are on minitub a bodies with 12" tires. 440 ci.

-
Back