Dick Landy 'Flyin Wedge'

-
The California Flash. One of my favorite drivers.

X2. I haven't heard mention of Butch in many years. I was a young gun in the 1970s and was fortunate to be able see almost all of the pioneers still run their cars as their careers wound down. Just about all of them were friendly and would talk general gearhead stuff. None of them would give any secrets away. Great time to be of age to go see and meet them.

Those 'men' did a lot of Track-Testing, and whatever results they got,
passed them on for the rest of us....

x2. Herb M. has always taken the time to talk to me when i've encountered him and had a question. He's always is willing to take time to talk and never has made me feel inferior regardless of the question. One of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure to meet.

Dick Landy 'Flyin Wedge'

To deflect any 'hot-air' away from the Carter Carburetor, we stay with a normal
bottom pan-tray from the stock Dodge 440 Air-Cleaner.

It fits tight, and is shaped to allow for a 'optimal' good-air into the Carburetor. It is
worth a few Horsepower, and many Drag Racers foolishly discard using a one, which
is surprising.

Spark-Plugs are Champion UJ-10Y, and they are set with a .035" Gap.

We used a set of UJ-12Y mistakenly in one race, and they were not 'cold enough'.
Cost us a race, as we went .012 slower in the 1/4 Mile.

Ignition is a reliable Prestolite 'transistorized' system, direct from Chrysler Performance.

We use all Chrysler Performance Ignition 'wiring', as it is reliable, durable and
performs to the highest quality.

A 'Heat-Sink' is installed in front of the Radiator Support, to keep the Ignition
components cool.

For headers, we currently run Hooker Headers {2" Primary x 44" Tube length}.

We like the fenderwell units better with the 440, as they have less bends than
the under-chassis units. It's worth another 10 Horsepower.

With the 'automatic' in the #3649 lb. Charger R/T 440, Dick has smacked down
runs at 12.00 @ 117 MPH.

That is already under the '1968 NHRA National Record' of 12.16 in 'SS/FA' , and the 1969 season hasn't started yet.

,,,,,,,,,,Dick Landy just isn't fair.

1969 Photo

The 'Flyin Wedge'

Mid-Season, featuring the 440 with Six-Pack Intake and Hood Scoop.

Dick would run this combination at AHRA Events, and for Match-Racing Events.

AHRA Class.........'1 Formula/Stock'....Class S/S

Check out the 'monster pool-sized' 10" Deep Milodon Oil Pan..........

This combination could run 11.50's at 122 MPH.

index.php

Wow what a great read!!!! Sure does bring back some memories of the good o'le days,Thanks for posting 69Ccuda440!!!
that's what this site is all about CARS.

Dick Landy in 1969

Dick Landy ran '3' Dodge Charger Race Cars
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

* 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 'Flyin Wedge'

* Engine; '440/375 HP' 4-Barrel

* Ran in SS/F or SS/FA {In NHRA - January thru May 1969} {Weight/Horsepower; 9.50 - 9.99 Wt/Hp}

* NHRA re-configured Super/Stock in May 1969, and the 'Flyin Wedge' was then classed in SS/I or SS/IA

* Also was run in AHRA with a '440 6-Pack' and Hood Scoop in '1 Formula/Stock' {S/S or S/SA}

* Also 'Match-Raced' with the '440 6-Pack' combination

{1969 Photo}

null_landy-69charg.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* 1968 Dodge Charger {standard trim car} converted to a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T

* Engine; 426 Race Hemi with a Dual-Carbed In-Line Intake, with Carter 750 CFM Carburetors.

* Dick ran this 'retro-fiitted' Charger R/T in NHRA 'B/MP'

* This was Dick's 1968 Charger, and he retro-fitted it with 1969 Trim components, and added a Hood Scoop.

* This Charger retained the 1968 Door Panels which were 'chemically-engineered' {acid-dipped}.

* It also had other additional lightened body parts.

{1969 Photo}

index.php

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1969 Dodge Charger R/T

* Engine; 426 Street Hemi

* Dick ran this NHRA Legal Super/Stock 'Charger R/T' in SS/E or SS/EA {In NHRA - February thru May 1969}

* {NHRA Weight/Horsepower; 8.00 - 8.49 Wt/Hp}

* In May 1969 the NHRA re-configured Super/Stock and the Charger R/T was classed in SS/F or SS/FA.

{1969 Photo}

th

-
Back