Did Chrysler have rust problems with the 76' Darts, Dusters, Scamps?

-
Yes, about all 70's cars became rust buckets because of the salt they use on the road here.
My uncle bought a new 70 duster, drove it for 40,000 miles, which made the car 4 years old.
The rear springs came thru the trunk floor and he was easy on cars, barely drove the speed limit and kept them washed and clean.
Funny thing is my dad had a 70 d-100 pickup that he also bought new but in 8 years the cab floor was about extinct.
Dad also had a 66 fury that he bought new, every time he changed the oil he would pop the door panels off and dump the used oil in the doors and 1/4 panels, that car never did rust, he got rid of it 18 years later and 180.000 miles.
my '72 Duster had major rust repair done to it in 1980 when it was redone...but it grew up in the maritimes, so it had an excuse lol.

I hate rust. living in the rust belt myself, you're basically damned to drive a car you dislike for 1/2 of the year, otherwise you're ruining a car you do like. It's a tough place to be a car fanatic!

Not sure about anything special from '76...I have been taking note of 2000+ rustbuckets lately and there are quite a few. Ford F-150s, Rams, Mazda3 seem to be amongst the most rust prone.

My beloved 1997 Miata was rotting through the rocker panels after 246,000... that was a damn good car in every other way. The guy who bought it from me is restoring it! :cool:

Did Chrysler have rust problems with the 76' Darts, Dusters, Scamps?

No, they rusted out... No problem...

Ok... that made me laugh out loud. :D

Thay rust the same as any thing here slowly and in to the ground . Ok i want to see more pics of the car posted on page one .

It all depends on where the car spent it's life.
I've seen some good cars, and i've seen some scary ****.
The red as is a '75 Dart Sport and the blue one is a '74.
The parchment car is a '76 Swinger. It's pretty solid other than the front floor and the quarter panels, the red car is rotten in and out with bad holes in the frames and floors and ''corn flake'' rust everywhere on the under side, and the blue car is so rotten that the springs are coming through the trunk floor, inner fenders are jagged and the fender tag is even rusted apart!
If you look closely at the pic of the rear quarter on the red car, you will see spray foam used to help fix the quarter some time in the past. The quarters on both sides front and back are full of this stuff and actually trapped moisture in there causing even more problems. The guy i bought the car from said he was told by the body shop that fixed the rust on the bottom of the car that it would stop the car from rusting.
What a great idea!

Attachments

• 20121116_132.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20121116_135.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20121116_145.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20130320_51.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20120619_58.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20120619_62.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20120619_61.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20120619_57.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 103
Certain cars got bad reputations for rust, Mopar F-bodies and Vegas are legendary. In Detroit with the salt put on the roads in the winter they did rust out quickly but werent as bad as most imports. Porsche, BMW, Alfa, Jaguar, Honda and Toyotas of the same time period would be well on their way to be rust buckets in a year. I remember looking for a BMW 2002 and Porsche 911 in the mid 70s and these cars had too many small pockets that held moisture, salty moisture, I could only find basket cases, great running but basket cases. Some of the Japanese had "quiet" recalls ( which are illegal... ooops) on rust, I think Honda even got caught but by that time most of the cars were off the road so it didn't cost them too much.

My opinion, and it's just that, the calcium and beet juice they're spraying down now is far worse for rust that salt ever was.
I've never repaired/replaced so many brake lines, fuel lines in my life as I have in the past 6-10 years. Fuel tank straps, strut supports, spring hangers it's unbelievable.
I've gotten to where I spray primer on them when I'm done. I know it's not a lot, but its better than nothing.

-
Back