Did I get a good deal?

-
That link doesn't work....says the item had been removed. If the heads are just used and need to be rebuilt, not a great deal. I've seen cores at swap meets for $50 a pair and up. If they are machine shop fresh with hard seats, a very good deal!

That link doesn't work....says the item had been removed. If the heads are just used and need to be rebuilt, not a great deal. I've seen cores at swap meets for $50 a pair and up. If they are machine shop fresh with hard seats, a very good deal!

I agree. I wouldn't even pay $50 for core 906 heads. They're just not worth the time and effort if they need rebuilt. Especially since a set of 452's will flow the same and will already have hardened seats. 906's are way overrated. Plus, you can get a brand new set of aluminum heads that will far outflow the factory castings for $900 from 440Source and come out ahead in flow and weight savings.

fwiw...factory flame hardened seats are junk and is no excuse not to have real seats pressed in.

Those 906 & 915's are chryslers 'bad ***'s' of all the big block heads.
They , in full ported form, will flow 290's cfm.
They are worth $100 as a core set.
It will cost around $600-$800 to completely rebuild them-hard seats,guides,springs,new valves, valve job etc...

be careful next time, and although people hate this... you could back out and tell the guy you had no idea they needed rebuilt.

"Back in the day" next to max wedge heads, 906s were the best you could get. I had close to a grand in my 906s, that were going mid to low 10s on my 383.

We angle milled the quench area away, .130, until the intake side, got so thin, we were concerned with being able to keep a gasket on it. :D But we got the chambers down to 63cc, and they were nasty.

Well, the guy sent the heads before I even paid for them!!! Turned out not to be a bad deal. He agreed for me to pay shipping and give the heads to me for free, rather than him lose another $80 on return shipping.

It also says in the add that they have 79cc chambers. I'm callin bullshit on that oone cause every set I've read about bein cc'd measures out more like 90cc's.

fully ported 906 head can support over 650 hp. and flow over 300 cfm at .500 lift. That said they are harder to port due to iron being harder than aluminum. You also have to throw in the cost factor of a complete rebuild. These heads are still used in some class racing.

Well, the guy sent the heads before I even paid for them!!! Turned out not to be a bad deal. He agreed for me to pay shipping and give the heads to me for free, rather than him lose another $80 on return shipping.
That was cool of him not to take your money, but you are still probably getting some expensive and dirty paper weights. They don't sound like anything special from the ad description.

-
Back