Did ma mopar make 360 non mag blocks post 93?

-

Bret2094

Angry wrench enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been very busy lately fixing up my duster and pulled the engine for the first time, and just happened to notice the stamping marks are written 8-6-94. For the last two years , I have been ordering non magnum 360 parts such as water pumps, mechanical fuel pumps,spark plugs and various other tune up items. I had been using a 80 dodge pickup(p/o said that's what it was pulled from, but wasn't sure since it had hopped 3 owners before the builder) from various parts stores as a reference since the 360s were not available in 72 for dusters. Pretty much every performance part on the car has a manufacture date of 1993-1995 so I was curious if, you could at one time order non magnum 360 blocks after the change in 1993. Also, where is a good reference to tell the mag from non mag engines?

Thanks,

Bret

So far as I know, the one big separating factor is how the rockers are oiled. Unless you do some pretty trick and probably expensive machine work, there is no way to oil LA heads with a Mag block. You can use an LA front cover and older style pump, so that's not definitive.

Check the block to see if it has the hole deles out to feed the heads oil.
If it is drilled for head oiling, non Magnum block.
Post the blocks numbers.

You could not just order a non magnum block/engine. I bought a new V8 Dakota in 93 and the only engine options were 4 cyl. V6 magnum and V8 magnum. If yours has the heads with it look at the rocker arms. If their shaft mounted rockers it's a LA head. If the rockers are individually pedestal mounted it's a magnum engine

There was never an option. Production 318s didn't have them in '91 and production 360s didn't have them in '92, and production 318s had them in '92 while production 360s had them in '93. What matters is the block's production date and if it's a factory block. Stock they did quit using pre-Mags but around that time they weren't finished phasing out the old style crate motors yet.

Here are some of the external differences of a LA and Magnum 360.

LA-360 cast numbers on driver side of block:
3870230 (1975-78 LA-360)
4179930 (1975-1993 LA-360)

All Magnum engines are stamped either 360 or 318 on the driver’s side near the rear of the block. The casting number found on all 360 Magnum blocks is 5302006, whereas the 5.2/318 Magnums are 53006714 or 53006657. Otherwise, the 5.2 and 5.9 appear pretty much identical.

Magnums have two sets of motor mounts, mid-block motor mounts used for trucks (three holes), and the same front-mounted motor mount ears as an LA 360. See picture of magnum block below.

Check here for more info: http://www.magnumswap.com/

Attachments

• DSC01468.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 289
Like the first year or two the mags were still drilled for shaft rocke oiling.

I also have a pair of blocks that have the dual engine mounts that are LA set up.
As in set up for head oiling.

Unless you do some pretty trick and probably expensive machine work, there is no way to oil LA heads with a Mag block. .

I made a drill fixture to drill the passage from the deck to the cam bearing, not expensive or trick. Takes like 5 minutes with a 1/4 drill bit about 10" long. I do this quite a bit so we can run the far superior shaft rocker system over the inferior stud mount chevy style rocker system. Plus the Magnum block castings are way better than the old 60's and 70's blocks.

Thanks for all the replies guys, It would appear I have a 360 mag on my hands. The casting numbers by the driver head is 360T0R1147, and the Drivers side block is 53020006-360. It has the motor mount places for both styles as well. Do these things have different flywheel/clutch setups to run with say a 75 833 OD, and a bell housing for a 130 tooth flywheel? Also do the mags use a higher rate flow water pump? I frequently have encountered overheating problems, but far less after switching to the pump I put in last year (made for a LA). ANy reason to not run a magnum in my duster? it has been fairly reliable every since I've had it, other than running out of gas or peaking to 230 on the hottest of days(also before I had a fan shroud).

Also, there is a blockoff plate to use a mechanical fuel pump. I heard something about a snout extension was needed to use a stock LA 360 mech pump? what does one look like, and where do you get it?

Y'all are amazing for helping a fresh mopar fan on the right path

Bret

...Do these things have different flywheel/clutch setups to run with say a 75 833 OD, and a bell housing for a 130 tooth flywheel? Also do the mags use a higher rate flow water pump? ANy reason to not run a magnum in my duster? Also, there is a blockoff plate to use a mechanical fuel pump. I heard something about a snout extension was needed to use a stock LA 360 mech pump? what does one look like, and where do you get it? Bret

Best place to start looking for answers to all your questions is by reading and searching the "Magnum Swaps" section here on FABO; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=131 If you can't find the answers to your questions, start a new thread in the "Magnum Swaps" section.

Thanks for all the replies guys, It would appear I have a 360 mag on my hands. The casting numbers by the driver head is 360T0R1147, and the Drivers side block is 53020006-360. It has the motor mount places for both styles as well. Do these things have different flywheel/clutch setups to run with say a 75 833 OD, and a bell housing for a 130 tooth flywheel? Also do the mags use a higher rate flow water pump? I frequently have encountered overheating problems, but far less after switching to the pump I put in last year (made for a LA). ANy reason to not run a magnum in my duster? it has been fairly reliable every since I've had it, other than running out of gas or peaking to 230 on the hottest of days(also before I had a fan shroud).

Also, there is a blockoff plate to use a mechanical fuel pump. I heard something about a snout extension was needed to use a stock LA 360 mech pump? what does one look like, and where do you get it?

Y'all are amazing for helping a fresh mopar fan on the right path

Bret

Magnum's are balanced a little different than a LA so to use manual trans the flywheel needs to be balanced for a magnum. I know that magnums were offered with manual trans in Ram's and Dakota's but I'm not a manual trans guru so I'm not sure if their flywheel will work with a 833. Maybe one of the other guys will know that. Did you swap to a LA style timing cover when you installed the LA water pump? You need to do that because the magnum water pump rotates counterclockwise and the magnum timing cover is designed for water flowing that way. I haven't had the front end of a magnum apart but have also heard that you need a extension for cam snout if you want to run a mechanical fuel pump. Hughes engines sells them I believe. Check their website. There's no reason not to run a magnum. Lots of guys run them successfully

I made a drill fixture to drill the passage from the deck to the cam bearing, not expensive or trick. Takes like 5 minutes with a 1/4 drill bit about 10" long. I do this quite a bit so we can run the far superior shaft rocker system over the inferior stud mount chevy style rocker system. Plus the Magnum block castings are way better than the old 60's and 70's blocks.

I have to disagree about the Magnum rocker system being Chevy style. It is not. Chevys use a stud which can flex terribly. They ARE certainly inferior. The Magnum engines at least incorporate a bolt down tight bolt mounted rocker system. While they are not as good as the old shaft mounted LA style, they are FAR superior to the Chevy stud mounted rockers. Their only drawbacks are they are not adjustable and they will not stand a lot of lift. But they will out perform a Chevy stud mounted rocker any day.

I have to disagree about the Magnum rocker system being Chevy style. It is not. Chevys use a stud which can flex terribly. They ARE certainly inferior. The Magnum engines at least incorporate a bolt down tight bolt mounted rocker system. While they are not as good as the old shaft mounted LA style, they are FAR superior to the Chevy stud mounted rockers. Their only drawbacks are they are not adjustable and they will not stand a lot of lift. But they will out perform a Chevy stud mounted rocker any day.

The simplicity of the Ford/Jeep / Magnum setup,has it's merits. I went to stud conversation on my Magnum,without considering the 1.5 LA rocker ratio, to the 1.6 Magnum setup. I slid in the LA hyd roller ca!m, pegged the 1110 Hughes setup. Sooooo , I went with the Crane stud conversion setup. It was nice to actually be able to adjust preload personally. So the tradeoff is adjustability vs. optimum valvetrain stability. At valve spring psi 110 on the seat, 300-310 on the nose, not too worried about it with a hyd roller...

The Magnum is even WORSE IMO than the chevy style. A 5/16 bolt to hold your rocker in place, no thanks. At least most of the chevy studs are 3/8 or 7/16 bottom thread, more beef. But that's just opinions here, but we both agree the shaft style is THE BEST! Mopar should have never gone away from it, Damn old AMC engineers messing it all up LOL

Thanks everyone, I've about got this puppy buttoned back up and the correct parts ordered. Tanking my time, but I want to ride:protest:...maybe by the 4th

Later Gents

Bret

The Magnum is even WORSE IMO than the chevy style. A 5/16 bolt to hold your rocker in place, no thanks. At least most of the chevy studs are 3/8 or 7/16 bottom thread, more beef. But that's just opinions here, but we both agree the shaft style is THE BEST! Mopar should have never gone away from it, Damn old AMC engineers messing it all up LOL

So you think a 3/8" stud sticking 2 plus inches out in the air to flex all over the place is stronger than a 5/16" bolt bolted down tight??? Can't say I agree with that. JMHO

-
Back