Did the 1979 Lil Red Express come with an air pump?

-
i've had two 79 LRE trucks over the years. both very original/ no air pumps.. they did have some kind of air pipe to the rear of the passenger exhaust manifold.. i forget where it hooked up to though... as far as the cats go.. they are over 40 years old. probably shot any way..

My Magnum had a passenger side pipe that was held on by 2 bolts. The tube went to a check valve so there was no backward air flow. I think it was called a ”Diverter valve.” The hard steel line continued to a rubber line attaching to the air cleaner.

So as long as the carb was running right and the lean burn was working correctly, the exhaust gas should have been mostly inert gas. While it wasn’t good for power or performance, it otherwise generally didn’t hurt anything.

You guys are awesome. I wish there were some detailed pics of all this funky smog stuff. It's almost impossible to find since nearly everyone has already ripped it all off. I'm having a difficult time picturing the whole air tube to manifold connection since I can't seem to find any pictures of it and I've never seen it in person. I feel like the air lines would be the most difficult part to find if they wound up being required. Seems like everything else is still available in the aftermarket.

I talked to both LRE sellers and unfortunately they both "know a guy" that can get them past smog. One of them doesn't even have cats on his rig. I was a bit blown away by the Commiefornia "carb compliant" cat prices. Federal cats can be had for around $100. California cats cost $400+ a piece. Oh and you only get to choose from a list on the C.A.R.B. website and nearly all of the affordable ones are discontinued and only the $400+ ones are still available.

Come to Florida and run open pipes legally without worry where ever you drive including next to the police. Who by the way don’t give a crap if you have no cats, no mufflers because there freedom loving Americans.

Best scene yet, a guy in the drive through running Zoomies headers and a 6-71 in a T bucket. Cop never flinched.

...and you can pass cops going almost 10 over.

Well, most of the time.

Come to Florida and run open pipes legally without worry where ever you drive including next to the police. Who by the way don’t give a crap if you have no cats, no mufflers because there freedom loving Americans.

Best scene yet, a guy in the drive through running Zoomies headers and a 6-71 in a T bucket. Cop never flinched.

I have a pension through the state but you can guarantee I'll be out of here as soon as I'm retired.

This state talks about climate change like it's an impending doom. They are nearly completing a huge interstate job where they're adding more lanes at a huge pinch point that brings traffic to a grinding halt at any hour of the day. You'd think if they cared about climate change, they'd open up the new lane to everyone so we can all get better gas mileage and stop burning so much fuel. Instead, they are making it a toll lane. Which just proves how big of a scam the entire thing is. I thought they were against polluting for profit, but apparently not :rolleyes:

I'll figure out how to get an LRE going at some point here when the right one shows up. Someone has to hold down the redneck flag in this god forsaken state.

...and you can pass cops going almost 10 over.

Well, most of the time.
True. If you get yanked over, you probably deserved it. They do want people to stop before they state to their friends, “Here! Hold my beer and watch this ****!”

I will say interstate driving in this state is pretty freakin scary!

I bought an all original 79 W150 w/360 4bbl. It was a California truck and had an air pump. Single exhaust w/cat. Obviously not a LTE truck, but they were putting air pumps on some models. Long ago I had an 82 D150 w/a 318. It had the diverter valve system that Rumble mentioned.

I know mine doesn't have one I'm the 2nd owner.
All origional
Buried behind 3 other vehicles. I just moved it and a few others about a month ago.
Sorry not for sale waiting till August for Grandson to pick it up

I bought an all original 79 W150 w/360 4bbl. It was a California truck and had an air pump. Single exhaust w/cat. Obviously not a LTE truck, but they were putting air pumps on some models. Long ago I had an 82 D150 w/a 318. It had the diverter valve system that Rumble mentioned.

Interesting. I wonder what the emissions stickers looked like on that W150?

Had an annoying conversation with a smog shop yesterday. Asked them if they had a book that would let me know what emissions equipment was required so I could come in prepared. He said no but bring it in and they'll inspect it and let me know what I'm missing. I said how can you know what I'm missing if you don't have a book? He said there is no book but bring it in and once they look at it, they'll know what it needs. I said if you know what it needs, then tell me so I can get everything installed before I come in. He said he won't know what it needs until I bring it in and they look at it.

I told him that makes zero sense. Either you know what it needs or you don't, but looking at it doesn't change that fact. He said sorry, I can't help you then.

Had an annoying conversation with a smog shop yesterday. Asked them if they had a book that would let me know what emissions equipment was required so I could come in prepared. He said no but bring it in and they'll inspect it and let me know what I'm missing. I said how can you know what I'm missing if you don't have a book? He said there is no book but bring it in and once they look at it, they'll know what it needs. I said if you know what it needs, then tell me so I can get everything installed before I come in. He said he won't know what it needs until I bring it in and they look at it.

I told him that makes zero sense. Either you know what it needs or you don't, but looking at it doesn't change that fact. He said sorry, I can't help you then.

lol. just wanted to run up a bill on you. thief.

lol. just wanted to run up a bill on you. thief.

I'll never understand the business model of risking losing a customer for life and any other customer that they warn about your shop, just so you can try and eek out an extra hundred bucks.

Even if they have so much work that you and 150 others won't make a scratch.....I still don't understand it.

that's red flags, flashing lights and sirens. find another shop.

i'd go find some GM G body guys that have LS swaps or the 70's tail dragger/donk/low rider dudes and ask them where they get their smog at, chances are whoever is doing that is a little more knowledgeable and operates a little differently. or at least they're gonna be straight up with you.

The sticker is still on the hood. I'll get a pic of it to post. It had EGR, air pump, dual evap canisters, OSAC valve. It had a Thermoquad and it's not Leanburn.

'79 Chrysler 300 E58 360-4V info:

Intake duration: 252 degrees
Exhaust duration: 252 degrees
Overlap: 33 degrees

Intake valve: 1.88" dia., .410" lift
Exhaust valve: 1.88" dia., .410" lift

Valve springs:
Free length: .210"
Compressed load-closed:
108-118 lbs @ 1-21/32"
Compressed load-open:
186-200 lbs @ 1-1/4"

Carb:
Carter Thermo-Quad four barrel, 650 cfm

Compression ratio: 8.0 to 1
:(

Source:
1979 Chrysler 300 Handbook
Dale Burkhardt & John Veatch
Copyright 1989, All rights reserved

Actually as far as I know personally, they used the stock 340 4 bbl. automatic cam in the Little Red Express Trucks.

The same cam profile that was used in all the 360 4 barrel engines.

lift: .430/.444
Duration: 268/276

_________

The 360 2 barrel engines used this profile in 1975 and up:

Lift: .410/.410
Duration: 252/252

The above mentioned MoparWiki profile with .284 lift is wrong, they used the duration number of 284 for their 68 340 lift...wrong.

Here is the '68 340 4spd cam:

Lift: .444/.453
Duration: 276/284

You can see ^ this is where they got their .284 lift number and the 276 duration numbers in the MoparWiki article by using the duration numbers only, thinking the .284 was the lift....Wrong...

☆☆☆☆☆

Yeah, I even get things wrong juggling all these camshaft numbers around. The MoparWiki article stated their special 68 camshaft at .486 lift (not .286 as I had wrongfully stated) the .486 lift number is still wrong for the Little Red Express.

More like .430/444
or .444/453 lift. Stock 340 cam numbers.

☆☆☆☆☆

Yeah, I even get things wrong juggling all these camshaft numbers around. The MoparWiki article stated their special 68 camshaft at .486 lift (not .286 as I had wrongfully stated) the .486 lift number is still wrong for the Little Red Express.

More like .430/444
or .444/453 lift. Stock 340 cam numbers.

☆☆☆☆☆
.429/.444 268/276 is the stock 340 cam number

.444/.453 276/284 is only '68 340 with manual trans

here's something of interest in a '78 sales sheet:
all D100 include evaporative and exhaust emission control system. D150, 200 and 300 models include heavy duty exhaust emission control system. optional emission reduction control system is required on all models registered in the state of california.

here is a scanned EO and supplemental data sheet from CARB for 78 (issued sept 77 and revised in october) and it indicates EGR, OC & AI, and EM, which according to their key is: egr, cats and air injection, and "engine modification"?.

sooo... looks like you need cats and the air pump, along with all the evap non-sense and the EGR spaghetti farm. if you wanna do it dress-right-dress, that is.

Yep, same automatic cam that they used in the 4 bbl. Trucks.

☆☆☆☆☆

There is no way that is the cam in the LRE though. 340 auto cam was dead probably after '76 and the '77 and later E58 and all EH1 motors probably had the same cam as the 2 bbl 360. Maybe it was a different cam, but no way was it the 340 auto cam. See post 40 in this thread.

There is no way that is the cam in the LRE though. 340 auto cam was dead probably after '76 and the '77 and later E58 and all EH1 motors probably had the same cam as the 2 bbl 360. Maybe it was a different cam, but no way was it the 340 auto cam. See post 40 in this thread.
post #40 lists a 650cfm TQ which never existed. but let's say for the sake of confusion that it was meant as Q-jet. there again, 404 no such carb found.

it also lists the E58 as 8:1 which, while true, isn't the whole story. some were 8.4:1 depending on year and motor code.

i'll buy that an EH1 had a 340 auto cam. i''ll also buy that an E58 had one as well (i had a dippy with an E58). i've put 340 cams into 360 2bbl motors and they ran like that.

post #40 lists a 650cfm TQ which never existed. but let's say for the sake of confusion that it was meant as Q-jet. there again, 404 no such carb found.

it also lists the E58 as 8:1 which, while true, isn't the whole story. some were 8.4:1 depending on year and motor code.

i'll buy that an EH1 had a 340 auto cam. i''ll also buy that an E58 had one as well (i had a dippy with an E58). i've put 340 cams into 360 2bbl motors and they ran like that.

Post #40 also listed cam specs.

And look at the torque and hp peak RPM’s for the ‘79 E58 and ‘78 EH1 I listed in post #21. They are just too way off to make sense with the 340 auto cam.

‘75 and ‘76 listed an E58 engine with a high performance cam, that had similar peaks the the ‘74 E58. But the E58 motor in ‘77 dropped significantly. I can post links tomorrow, not going to do it right now.

I don’t have any proof, but based on what I see in the published info, the ‘77+ E58 and all EH1 motors never had the 340 auto cam.

BTW, I wonder if the 650 TQ was a typo. There was an 850 TQ, pretty sure my motor came with one.

Post #40 also listed cam specs.

And look at the torque and hp peak RPM’s for the ‘79 E58 and ‘78 EH1 I listed in post #21. They are just too way off to make sense with the 340 auto cam.

‘75 and ‘76 listed an E58 engine with a high performance cam, that had similar peaks the the ‘74 E58. But the E58 motor in ‘77 dropped significantly. I can post links tomorrow, not going to do it right now.

I don’t have any proof, but based on what I see in the published info, the ‘77+ E58 and all EH1 motors never had the 340 auto cam.

BTW, I wonder if the 650 TQ was a typo. There was an 850 TQ, pretty sure my motor came with one.
i agree, the published numbers are all over the place. different sources, and almost no two are the same.

there's no definitive proof one way or the other. ****, there's hardly proof on what the actual specs are of the 68 4spd cam or a bunch of the MP cams from the 70's & 80's.

i'm hoping that the 650 number was a typo, and maybe it was, but that looked like a copy pasta job to me, so somebody probably published those numbers somewhere. but again, here we find ourselves with the whole: what good is proof if the source is suspect?

sooo... looks like you need cats and the air pump, along with all the evap non-sense and the EGR spaghetti farm. if you wanna do it dress-right-dress, that is.

they never had air pumps to begin with. why would they need one now?

the other question is, were they ever allowed to be sold in CA. to begin with? they were not allowed to be sold in some states from a lot of things i've read over the years. something about the exhaust. i always figured that was why there were so many here in the north east.

the other question is, were they ever allowed to be sold in CA. to begin with?
that's an excellent question to which i do not know the answer. we got CAP before any body else, so it's possible that maybe there are LRE that got the pump for CA sale.

i do know that CA won't let anything run without the mandated smog equip. so even if they never came with a pump, the paperwork says you're supposed to have one which would likely mean a retro fit. or a smog guy that favors everybody's friend Mr. Franklin over the rules.

ETA: here's a quote from a mopar muscle article in 2001:
The camshaft was a 268-276-44 bumpstick and was 1968 340 hardware (as were the H/D valvesprings, dampers, and pushrods). Compression was pegged at 8.4:1, while the E58 360 had an 8.0:1 squeeze. All LRTs used the 1974-early 1975 360hp pistons (PN 3780071). Under a chrome air-cleaner lid, the ductwork led from the base to factory openings in the pan below the grille. Rated at 225 hp and 340 lb-ft of torque, the special 360 was coded EH1. (Note: The 1978 LRT W45 was unavailable for sale in California.*)

here's the article in full:

Last edited:
-
Back