Did the early 273 use a unique intake manifold?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought I recall reading that the heads and intake had a different angle than later LA series engines. Who can shed some light on this?

Yep. I think model year 65 and older had smaller bolts and the angle was different than 66 and newer.

You can change the 65 and older heads to 66 and newer heads and then the newer intake fits perfect.

I have heard of some aftermarket intakes with both angles drilled in.

Thanks.
There is a guy on FBBO with a 66 or 67 Belvedere that is having intake fitment troubles but he wasn't clear on what engine is in the car. I thought maybe he might have an early 273 in the car since he mentioned "cork" end gaskets. No B or R/B engine used those, just the valley pan.

Yes, early 273 heads used a different bolt angle for the intake. 65'
So they are a matched set.and IIRC
the intake was a singleplain, similar to what the 71Demon 318 had.

But the later 273/318 heads and intakes will bolt right on.With one caveat, the open chamber heads are a serious compression ratio loss.

Doh, treed twice

Yeah he may also have an intake for an early 273 and is trying to use them on the later heads.

There are aftermarket intakes out there for the early heads, I ended up with one once. Was a Weiand I was gonna use on a 318 because it had the smaller ports.

Yes, early 273 heads used a different bolt angle for the intake. 65'
A 65 foot Plymouth? Is that a super stretch limousine?

1 laugh 1.jpg

Thanks.
There is a guy on FBBO with a 66 or 67 Belvedere that is having intake fitment troubles but he wasn't clear on what engine is in the car. I thought maybe he might have an early 273 in the car since he mentioned "cork" end gaskets. No B or R/B engine used those, just the valley pan.

He might have a 273 but I think he has a 318.. Doesn't matter, his car is a 67 so it's got the later design unless someones been swapping stuff around...

The cork he's referring to is the end seals...

I think it's just a weird parts stack up, his new intake (aftermarket) is a few thousands wide, his deck height is on the short side & so the composition gaskets are tight... Back in the day Felpro offered stamped steel intake gaskets for the small blocks just because these kind of engines exist..

Thanks.
Ya and I asked the guy for more information and finally got a 318 out of him. Who knows. Someone could have put a 64 or 5 273 under the hood.

Many of us are anxious to help but some people make it really hard to do it. They dole out little bits of information like a mother gives food to her baby birds.

-
Back