Did they make 5x4” axles for 8 3/4 rear ends?

-
What I thought was true and and what is actually true about the rear axles and bolt patterns on the A body cars, after a lot of searching through old books is exactly what I remembered all these years.
All A body cars from 1960 to 1972 with 7 1/4 and 8 3/4 rear axles came with 5x4 inch bolt patterns except the 68 Hemi Dart and Cuda which came with B- BODY rear axles with 5x4 1/2 inch bolt patterns 59.2 inches axle flange to axle flange width, Dana 60 with 4.88 gears in the 4 spd cars and 8 3/4 with 4.86 gears in the automatic cars, with a special offset(to the inside) 15 inch wheel to keep the 775 tire wheel combo in side the wheel well.
The 1973 to 1976 A bodys with disc brakes and the 8 1/4 rear axles came with the 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern V8 and I6 engines. 6 cylinder A bodys with 4 wheel drum brake from 73 to 76 and the 7 1/4 rear axle still had the 5x4 inch bolt pattern, these would have been the cheapest bass models cars you could purchase at the time.

Yes they did, ALL A body cars with V8 and 8 3/4 had small bolt pattern except.. Except those who got a car with the HD suspension, option wheels, etc got the large bolt pattern. I had A 67 Barracuda Formula S with the 273 High output motor, it had 8 3/4 with small bolt pattern. Also a 69 Dart with 383 with he suspension with large bol5 pattern.
All 340's, taxi cabs and other High Output Darts had or could have HD Suspensions. The wheel options (Rally's 70' & up to72') were also 4". I believe the Dart 383 & 440 also had the 4" studs. The 68' Hemi's, I'm not sure being a Factory Race car and not a legal street car, it could be 4 1/2" studs. Would like to mention to the OP that changing the rear to perform to a larger or heavier motor is not all you need to change. Torsion bars for better height adjustment, stabilizer bar on front, 10" or Disc brakes, transmission change, (depending on block size) tranny crossmember mount, drive shaft length, rear springs and perches, brake lines realignment and shocks upgrade. If a 4-speed is used, torque boxes are recommended. Being your rear end guy is not familiar with MOPARS, there are two size U-joints. Match the drive shaft to the pinion size U-joint. They do make special U-joints to match both size, but why mess with that. Good luck on your project and enjoy when done!!!!!

What I thought was true and and what is actually true about the rear axles and bolt patterns on the A body cars, after a lot of searching through old books is exactly what I remembered all these years.
All A body cars from 1960 to 1972 with 7 1/4 and 8 3/4 rear axles came with 5x4 inch bolt patterns except the 68 Hemi Dart and Cuda which came with B- BODY rear axles with 5x4 1/2 inch bolt patterns 59.2 inches axle flange to axle flange width, Dana 60 with 4.88 gears in the 4 spd cars and 8 3/4 with 4.86 gears in the automatic cars, with a special offset(to the inside) 15 inch wheel to keep the 775 tire wheel combo in side the wheel well.
The 1973 to 1976 A bodys with disc brakes and the 8 1/4 rear axles came with the 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern V8 and I6 engines. 6 cylinder A bodys with 4 wheel drum brake from 73 to 76 and the 7 1/4 rear axle still had the 5x4 inch bolt pattern, these would have been the cheapest bass models cars you could purchase at the time.
Be careful, some people sale those rims as 14" and they are 13" and the brakes are 9" and not 10". The spindles and lower bar joints are not the same as a 10". Also the lower ball joint bolt holes on the 10" drums are smaller than the disc ones are and need to be drilled out or replaced. I drilled mine out in my brake swap from drum to disc. This is for another forum.

Thank You Swinger 340, I forgot the part about only the 9 inch 4 wheel drums on the later A body 6 cylinder cars came with the 5x4 pattern.

-
Back