dies at idle

-

ecurb

Reaction score
hey everyone hope your all doing well. i have a situation where my 68 fish with a 340/727 dies in gear at idle, when i'm at a stop sign/red light after about 5-7 seconds.
a friend of mine says it might be the gas in the carb vaporizing from the heat from manifold. he says i might need a phenolic spacer under the carb. has anyone heard of this/experienced this? any input is always appreciated.
specs:
eddie 600 cfm carb
eddie air gap intake
cam xe268h lift 477 intake 480 exhaust
timing is at 8* btdc
340 has about 350 miles since rebuild
stall is about 2800
if there is any specs i left out let me know.
if you know what size phenolic spacer i need let me know.
thanks as always bruce

okay how much do you think?

In the 14 to 18 range for initial using max manifold vacuum as a guide while keeping idle in the 850-950 rpm range. Limit total mechanical to 34 and use advance springs that bring in total at about 2800 to 3000 rpm. This should get you close and you can fine tune your vacuum advance and springs advance rate based on trial and error.

We just set the timing on a 340 today. It took 18 degrees initial, and 36 total. All in by 3k. Idle at 900.

ok just set the timing a 10* the very top line on the timing cover with vac adv from distrutor plugged. seems to be running better. ? i have is how do you set the timing more then 10* without markers on the timing cover. thanks b

thanks for the great info. my friend is coming to town i'm gonna have him explain this info. just don't want to mess something up. i never was able to deal with timing, just like turning wrenchs. thanks again. b

ok set the timing at 35* total timing, runs much better. adjusted carb and even put 1/2 inch spacer between carb and manifold. car idles better lasting for about 35 sec before dieing. friend feels its the bad gas calif. has. he mentioned summer blend gas would be alittle better well try soon. we spoke with eddie rep and he states he has heard about this before, his suggestion spacer. wondering if anybody else in cali is experiencing this? thanks again for all the help i need it. b

Where did your idle timing end up?

That's what you need to be concerned with, NOT total timing. Using a total timing method for a street car is horrible approach.

hey everyone hope your all doing well. i have a situation where my 68 fish with a 340/727 dies in gear at idle, when i'm at a stop sign/red light after about 5-7 seconds.
a friend of mine says it might be the gas in the carb vaporizing from the heat from manifold. he says i might need a phenolic spacer under the carb. has anyone heard of this/experienced this? any input is always appreciated.
specs:
eddie 600 cfm carb
eddie air gap intake
cam xe268h lift 477 intake 480 exhaust
timing is at 8* btdc
340 has about 350 miles since rebuild
stall is about 2800
if there is any specs i left out let me know.
if you know what size phenolic spacer i need let me know.
thanks as always bruce

i have a crappy idle too when at operation temp... when i park and pop hood the fuel filter is empty.... im vaporizing also... might want to get the fuel line shielding from hetshield also... im ordiing this week. also im told a phenolic spacer is needed if your intake utilizes the heat crossover. i need a phenolic also...mine is aluminum

Simple test, start car, warm it up, twist distributor a little CCW, did it pick up rpm?

If it picks up RPM, your idle/initial timing was not set WHERE THE ENGINE WANTS IT.

Total timing a street car is a HORRIBLE method to use!

That cam in a 340 usually likes in the 16-20 range for initial timing. Do you know what happens to an engine that runs with insufficient initial timing, they run HOT.... hmmmm some of your problems might be reduced. The ede carbs are horrible for fuel percolation even when the tune is correct. It's a function of the fuel and additives in it.

I bet it stink like raw fuel out the exhaust right now.

-
Back