and a suspension guy
and a transmission guy
and a electrical guy
and a dipstick checking guy
and a body guy
and a fab guy
and a guy to crack my beer
and a guy to brush my teeth

...the truth is, I'm that guy. Don't farm out s*it. Hope you find your gear.

I think most of the problems are the gears. Probably inconsistent manufacturing, the percentage of new vehicles with this problem is low, yet seems the aftermarket is high.

I let Super Shafts set up my last rear diff. Thanks Marty.
Having done this work in the (way) past, it can be a pain from time to time to get it just right. If I did it everyday... So to speak, it would be easy.
Nower Days, I'd rather pay the piper. Marty is my guy.

I think most of the problems are the gears. Probably inconsistent manufacturing, the percentage of new vehicles with this problem is low, yet seems the aftermarket is high.

NO... the aftermarket has a couple ss* companies............. The problems are the people installing them...

*= sh!t show

OEM gears are final ground. It costs a lot more Than just machining. If you "hardened it, it is too hard to machine. Must be ground. No exeptions. If it isn't ground, it will wine. No exeptions. Didn't read all the posts like I usually do. But couldn't bear to go through it again. (Hobbed gears and ground them too long) soft spot... don't want the wine. Get OEM, pay the price. !!!

Rat patrol, I finished grilling the tri-tip and ate. I'll be constructive. so, Clean off the gears. like Supershaft said.hose the diff. in yard. dry it. put it in a vice. ring and pinion mating surfaces clean and dry. (where they touch). put Prussian blue https://www.modeltford.com/item/R-PTX.aspx on 3-4 gear faces of the ring gear together. NAPA should have some. apply 3 places 33 degrees apart or 3 equally spaced apart. have your buddy push a 2x4 against the ring gear. hard. you stick a 1/2" ratchet on the pinion nut and turn it. should have some resistance. turn it 3-4 full rotations. look at it. you should see your mating pattern. look on line for the patterns you are looking for. S/B in the manuals. general rules of thumb... front pattern- favor toward the skinny inner face. slightly to the outer edge. with more pressure and/or wear it will work in and down. turn it the other way and do the same thing. both patterns, front and back should never run off (the edge).
As a reference to my earlier post, if you look at your pictures, see the outer edge of the tooth ? it has lines on it from machining. that's what the gear face looks like when not ground, only exaggerated. your gears could have been like that and the ridges worn off. just need to re-pattern. if the pattern is good, a .001" shim here n there could help move the pattern and quiet it a little. If the pattern is good, it's good to go. wont break. just annoying... :cheers: C300

Check out the post "Pinion depth and preload , 742 case" just saw it. in the pix he is using a different marking paint. and he only needed to paint the face. you can see that the pattern is running off the edge. needs to go in and towards the skinny center part. that will get hot and bust a tooth. need full contact for strength and heat transfer :happy1:

My diff guy r-checked the pattern on the whining set - complete disaster.

Backlash originally set at .010th is now at .022th.

No pinion movement and the oinion still rotates smoothly with correct pre-load.

Next test is for hardness...Diff guy cant belive the wear after 600 miles....couldnt even get a pattern.....

Yup. He HAS a pattern Mal. It sucks. Just my opinion but setting up a rear is not something anyone can do, regardless of what people think. The gears are NOT the problem. The guy setting them up IS.

Guys - WAIT ONE. You misread my Post

This is the worn set...re-marked to show how much wear they have incurred since the original pics I posted.

This gear set has done 500 miles...and the backlash has gone out from .010th to .022th

BTW - The pinion prelad was still correct so this wear was not caused by badly set up backlash or pinion preload.

At this stage...all evidence points to them being a set that missed the hardening process.

Ive used Cobra Gear. Seems to work pretty good but its all about good installation IMO

Ok - new gears installed for two months now - by same installer.

I ran them in carefully - didnt go over 50mph for 300 miles....treated them to regular cool downs after twenty minutes for the first three outings.

Since the 300 clocked over Ive had it on the dyno and rugged it a coupke if times..

No whine...no issues.

I believe I probably just cooked the last set.

I just bought a complete Strange 60 with the pro series disc and 4 piston caliper setup . starting from the ground up . I know they make high quality products I'll see how it works soon hopefully. Just got my 340 put back together today. Waiting on tranny.

Attachments

• IMG_20150803_211713.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20150803_211730.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20150808_191236.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 135
Guys - WAIT ONE. You misread my Post

This is the worn set...re-marked to show how much wear they have incurred since the original pics I posted.

This gear set has done 500 miles...and the backlash has gone out from .010th to .022th

BTW - The pinion prelad was still correct so this wear was not caused by badly set up backlash or pinion preload.

At this stage...all evidence points to them being a set that missed the hardening process.

you can ruin a new gear set and bearings in 20 minutes of not breaking them in properly even if they were set up correctly to begin with.
it is well and good your pinion preload was still correct but was the pinion locating shim correct -- I think not which means your gear was not set up correctly
the back lash opening up tells me they did not get the carrier bearings preloaded correctly as well.
hope you cleaned all the trash out of your housing before the new gears went in.

For those interested, Dr Diff's Richmond 4:10 gears were in installed and they are perfect. No whine at all. Richmond recommends 500 miles of easy driving for break in. Don't think I'm going to make it. More like 10.

LOL...ya' take it to the track and wail on it:D:D

you can ruin a new gear set and bearings in 20 minutes of not breaking them in properly even if they were set up correctly to begin with.
it is well and good your pinion preload was still correct but was the pinion locating shim correct -- I think not which means your gear was not set up correctly
the back lash opening up tells me they did not get the carrier bearings preloaded correctly as well.
hope you cleaned all the trash out of your housing before the new gears went in.

The backlash blew out because of the wear on the gear set...not the other way around.

As the installer said...I put 200k miles of wear on a gear set on a 300 mile trip.

If he was that incompetant as to stuff the pinion shim.....why has my latest set survived the dyno and the track with only 400 miles on them?

-
Back