Diff Housing Narrowing In SoCal

-

clin10

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good fab shop in SoCal that can narrow my 8 3/4" housing. Anybody use one that they would recommend?

Sutton engineering in LA Habra did a narrowing and resplining of an 8 3/4 for me for a v8 vega.. It was many years ago, and according to yelp, they have closed. There is another Sutton engineering in City of Industry, but I don't know if it's the same or different company.
There's always Currie, but they do almost exclusively 9"fords, and I hear they are expensive. If they will do the job, it'll get done right.
(To be perfectly honest, personally I would consider a narrowed Dana or nine inch from strange or Dr Diff, before I put a load of money into an 8 3/4).

I had a friend who owned and ran a rearend shop in Pomona, He would have been able to give a great reference, but cancer got him a few years ago, and I'm out of touch with that end of things now.
I think (?) Currie did work like that for him, and he got a big discount on their work. He specialized in nine inch Ford racing setups.

If they can do a Ford 9" they can do an 8 3/4. VERY similar construction.

Thanks for all the input. I will be calling Sutton and Cook’s this afternoon. I sent an email to Currie and got no response. Took that to mean they won’t work on anything other than Ford 9”.

I contacted currie and they can do most anything. They sell a crate rear with disk for mopars bolt in. It's a Ford 9" though.

Thanks for the comment. I believe I am going with Cook’s, so your comment gives me some confidence in their work.

Thanks for the comment. I believe I am going with Cook’s, so your comment gives me some confidence in their work.

Please report back and share your experience and their pricing.

Thanks

I will. Housing needs to go out for stripping since after welding it goes to powder coat. So maybe a couple weeks.

Currie did my 8-3/4 and have done MANY 10” fords for our race truck over the years. They do exceptional work. Can’t say enough nice things about em. They did my 8-3/4 with ford ends and it saved me a bunch of money on Wilwood brakes.

Edited to add link with pics.
Why didn’t I build this years ago?

I'm not bein a smartass here , but if you cannot find someone in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA to narrow a rear end, you might need some special ed classes.

I'm not bein a smartass here , but if you cannot find someone in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA to narrow a rear end, you might need some special ed classes.

“Someone” is easy to find. Someone GOOD is a little harder. But only a little.

Last edited:
I contacted currie and they can do most anything. They sell a crate rear with disk for mopars bolt in. It's a Ford 9" though.
the crate rear with discs is pretty much plug & play, i had to make brake lines but big deal. i think the whole thing was about 5K delivered (i didn't buy it, only installed it)

The Gear Man in Garden Grove might also have a recommendation. Bill's done several rear ends for me over the years and has always been great to deal with. (714) 537-9495

I know this is not housing shortening…

But for rear center section rebuilding, many people I know use Ramjet Rear Ends in Sun Valley. North part of San Fernando Valley. Fair priced, great quality.

I miss living on SoCal for only one reason... The shear number of these types of service providers.

Here in northern Colorado there might be 2 or 3 within 60 miles.

Well, you are being a smart ***. I asked for some suggestions and most who answered gave me some great recommendations and one chose to make a very stupid comment. You can google all the rear end buzzwords you can think up and none of the shops mentioned here show up. People who have used these businesses can very quickly pass on that info to anyone asking for suggestions. Works by far better than Google and comes with their experiences, good or bad, to help weed out the places to stay away from. As far as special ed is concerned, I consider the education I get from this forum to be special. It’s just that some of the “teachers” suck!

I completely spaced on Summers Brothers, in Ontario, even though I have a pair of their axles in my Opel nine inch. (Frankly, I wasn't sure if they were still in business)
I DONT think they do the narrowing, but since they have been supplying custom axles for about 50 years, I bet they can recommend a shop.

I completely spaced on Summers Brothers, in Ontario, even though I have a pair of their axles in my Opel nine inch. (Frankly, I wasn't sure if they were still in business)
I DONT think they do the narrowing, but since they have been supplying custom axles for about 50 years, I bet they can recommend a shop.
They were about 4 miles from my house. Unfortunately, they have moved about 4 miles further. They now seem to specialize in off road vehicles and other racing item other than axles. But your suggestion makes sense! I will call them tomorrow!

-
Back