Difference between Chrysler Blue and Chrysler Turquoise engine paint colors?

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
2 different brands of "Chrysler Blue" 1970-1974 are not a good match for the factory original engine color in my 1973 318 Dart. They both have more green than what is on the engine. Has anyone else noticed this? The last I used is a spray can of OER brand engine paint Chrysler Blue # K89166. What does Chrysler turquoise 1960-1969 look like? Does some one out there have a can of OER # K89162 turquoise that they can send me a sample sprayed on something?

I am just painting a newly rebuilt water pump. If "Chrysler Blue" is the best match out there then I will just use it and live with the slight mismatch.

I got four cans of Chrysler blue recently. Each can sprayed a different color. Good luck.

And Chrysler blue and Chrysler Turquoise are WAY, WAY different.

this is how different they are.

Screenshot_2023-08-28-15-41-37-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-28-15-42-19-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

And Chrysler blue and Chrysler Turquoise are WAY, WAY different.
And after heat cycling over the years the paint takes on a different hue. I have seen turquoise look more green on the samples and cap that turns more blueish over time.

Any spray paint it seems to mismatch over time and sometimes from the start. Only way to get the same color is to paint the whole engine from one can.

And after heat cycling over the years the paint takes on a different hue. I have seen turquoise look more green on the samples and cap that turns more blueish over time.

Any spray paint it seems to mismatch over time and sometimes from the start. Only way to get the same color is to paint the whole engine from one can.
This sums up what has happened and will happen for the rest of time. The paint fades over time. Sure the engine might not be ‘cooked’ in the sun as much as the exterior paint on the car but the heat under that engine bay whenever the car is running will fade the paint over time. Trying to buy a new rattle can of paint to match what you think might have been the orignal paint colour will almost always lead to frustration every time. Best to repaint the entire entire with the new cans. Add in Chrysler changing engine colours over time (is my 340 red, turquoise or blue in 1969??) means you likely don’t know what the orignal paint was on that block your trying to match!

Try 8774paint1.com
I think that is their phone number too.
They are making some of what Totally Auto used to do.
I replaced my water pump last month after 8 years. Used the turquoise in spray can and it was a good match to the 8 year old paint on my motor.
It's kinda pricey but worth it for me to get a good match. Good luck.

Just went out to shop for a picture. Not enough light for a good shot. I painted pump before install so other paint is the old stuff.

20230828_204305.jpg

I think my first spray can that had a hint of green in it was from O'Reilly's. The second with a hint of green was OER brand. The paint on my engine looks most like the first picture in Abody Joe's post. There were probably variations in the same color at the factory and then add 50 years of aging on top of that. That means there is no definitive color for modern paint manufacturers to match to. It is too expensive to keep buying different brands trial and error. I will probably just use what I have. I want to keep my car authentic and factory original but it will not be judged at a show.
I had a similar dilemma with various interior colors on my Lasalle. I ended up using oil base/alkyd paint and matching colors myself with universal tint colors.

Try 8774paint1.com
I replaced my water pump last month after 8 years. Used the turquoise in spray can and it was a good match to the 8 year old paint on my motor.
I used their paint on my ‘64 Belvedere engine and I’m very happy with the results.

The last time I used duplicolor it looked nothing like it used to, more like the blue that Chevy went to in late 70s.... not like the duplicolor of old.

Try 8774paint1.com
I used the 8774paint1 turquoise on my 64 engine And I just ran into an old can of the Mopar Performance turquoise and they are an exact match.

I got some stuff from Ollies for $2.99 a can and a can of Naso etch primer for the same price which is what I'm going to use on my stripped oil pan before I paint my motor "Ollies Blue"

20230830_091633.jpg

20230830_091214.jpg

My go to is KBS Motor Coater paints. Spray it or brush it.. best on the planet in my opinion, I use nothing else.. Look it up

-
Back