Difference between pre-1966 and post 1970 steering columns

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to change to a manual steering column on my 1966 Barracuda. And of course, these early A columns are getting hard to find.

I am curious is there a mounting bracket difference between the early A column and the 1970-76 column? I can get a Flaming River "no key" manual column for a good price. Anything else I should be worried about?

Well for one thing the 70/ later is column mounted ignition switch. I would think there is considerable difference, as 67/ later is a different body than 66/ earlier.

Length for one.
Second is the fact the 66’ and older has no crash collapse feature. It is a solid shaft.
I bet it can be done but not just drop and play.
As for a flamming river- I believe that is based on a gm column. I’ve only seen those in the comic books so I’ve never worked with one before. Fabrication is in your future with both.
Finding a 66’ is tough but they are still out there. Post a want add and see what comes in.
Good luck!

Totally different.....as in no dimension is the same.....length, diameter, dash bracket, floor bracket, turn signal switch wiring, steering wheel, etc...... By manual column, I'm assuming this to mean manual steering? Not manual transmission? If you just need to swap the center shaft on your column from P/S to manual, That shaft and coupler will swap from '63-6. The couplers have a few versions that look different, but all the manual couplers those years will work on the stock manual steering gear.

Just change the shaft from a later non power one. Keep your column, it’s just a holder. OR cut yours to add a splice in the middle or bottom. You hit a pole at 60-70 that collapsable column is NOT going to save your life since you’ll be dead anyway.

-
Back