Difference in Distribution Blocks

Brakes for your Classic Mopar

1. soaringcowman

soaringcowman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:09 AM
    Ok so I was looking on Inlinetube site for a new brake distribution block, i found the one that says it was the one piece style, which i thought i had cuz i toke off only one brass block when i toke all my lines off....

this is the old one...

[​IMG][/IMG]

and this is the new one...

[​IMG][/IMG]

will they work the same?

2. lhearold

lhearold Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:09 AM
    Since all it does is route the fluid and turn on a failure lamp if the pressure on one side drops the new one should work. Only problem I have seen is that the replacements use the larger fittings on the master cylinder lines so you may have to get some reducers at the local auto parts store.

Larry

3. soaringcowman

Local Time:
    yeah thats what i was figuring myself, the lines are in the same location and i've also bought there SS brake line kit also and the master cylinder lines screw right in :)

4. dgc333

dgc333 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The bottom one is not a distribution block it is a proportioning valve or hold off valve. It limits the pressure to the rear until the front is up to a prescribed level, the distribution block does not doe this.

5. soaringcowman

Local Time:
    thats what i was kinda wondering...this is the one that would be used on a disc brake setup? or would this be fine for 4 wheel drums?

6. SirDan

SirDan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    if it helps any thats the style that came stock on my 73 power disc brake setup. My replacement from inline tube fit great too.

7. lhearold

Local Time:
    Its not a proportioning valve. It has the holdoff feature for the rear brakes. This allows the front to begin to take hold before the rear and lessens the tendency to lock the rear brakes. It will work on either drum or disk without a problem.

Larry

8. lhearold

Local Time:
    If thats what was on your car originally then it was originally a drum brake car. The proportioning valve is much larger and is made to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes by about 55% compared to the front disks which take a very high pressure to operate. MOPAR used holdoff valves on both drum and disk setups but the proportioning valves were only for the front disk/rear drum cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • SirDan

SirDan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      oh i dident really specify which one i was talking about! sorry. his NEW inline tube one is the one that came stock on my car. im assuming you thought i ment the other one?

• soaringcowman

Local Time:
      ok sweet, i'm was dreading to read this seeing that i just finished up putting it in lol

• dboldt

dboldt Douglas Boldt

Local Time:
      thanks for the info guys. doing some work on the 67 barracuda and your Inlinetube link was helpful. Found the parts and info I needed.

• BillGrissom

BillGrissom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      7:09 AM
      As mentioned, your old one is just a distribution block (tee) w/ imbalance warning switch. It came on drum-drum cars ~67+. Early front disk cars also used it, but with a separate prop valve downstream on the rear tube.

The new one is a "combination block", which moves the prop valve into the distribution block. It is only for disk-drum cars. You wouldn't get enough rear braking if you used it on a drum-drum car. However, you would barely notice since the rears provide only 30% of the braking anyway. Might install it now on a drum-drum if you plan to later change to front disks. I prefer a separate adjustable prop valve which is cheaper and better anyway.

• 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      7:09 AM
      View attachment 1714562639
      According to the 72 shop manual, it IS a proportioning valve, or more correct a combination warning switch/ distrbution block and proportioning valve

In 70 a separate proportioning / metering valve was used downstream of the metering block. Some stuff from the 72 book:

Some cars in 72 also used a combo dist/ metering valve instead of a prop. valve

Attached Files:

• 1972DusterPaul

1972DusterPaul Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Be careful with the Inline Tube Proportioning Valve.

I bought one from them and it was junk, I looked on the internet and found that a high percentage of them were not machined properly and that Inline Tube was still selling them.

I ended up rebuilding the original one that I had already and used some parts off the new one I bought.

There is a company that sells rebuild kits.

Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.