• Maybe - please email your perspectives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - please email me why this is true

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Not sure what happened to the Exterior Forum, but my '68 Barracuda Convertible Restomod project is on complete hold while we search for a replacement trunk lid. I know the tail lights are different between the years, but will the '67 or '69 fit a '68 and accept the '68 trim panel on the apron? I think the holes to attach the trim are different, but those could be filled by the body shop and re-drilled. Not clear if the apron of the truck is the same all 3 years but simply has different trims on the apron attached. Hoping so, as that will widen our search for a replacement trunk lid.

Appreciate any insights on this, along with leads on a quality trunk too !!!

The 67, 68, and 69 Barracuda coupe and convertible trunk lids are the same. Only the holes for the trim and emblems are different depending on the model year. Don't know if that difference extends to holes which may or may not be in the under surface bracing that the exterior sheet metal is attached to.

Differences in the apron in the different years have to do with the tailpipe cutouts for varying engines.

Differences in the apron in the different years have to do with the tailpipe cutouts for varying engines.
Not sure that I understand that. The cut out for tail pipes on the rear splash pan don't have anything to do with the trunk lid.

Not sure what happened to the Exterior Forum, but my '68 Barracuda Convertible Restomod project is on complete hold while we search for a replacement trunk lid. I know the tail lights are different between the years, but will the '67 or '69 fit a '68 and accept the '68 trim panel on the apron? I think the holes to attach the trim are different, but those could be filled by the body shop and re-drilled. Not clear if the apron of the truck is the same all 3 years but simply has different trims on the apron attached. Hoping so, as that will widen our search for a replacement trunk lid.

Appreciate any insights on this, along with leads on a quality trunk too !!!
You could always get a bolt on fiber glass trunk lid.

To clarify: convertible and notch are the same, but all three years are different. The main problem is where the 67 lid has stud holes, the 68 would have exposed painted surface, and vice versa. The 69 panel covers the entire rear surface, so you could use either of the other two lids on a 69 and just have extra holes hidden behind the panel (of course, you might have water intrusion issues if you don't at least fill them with caulk). But otherwise, you would be looking at filling and finishing somewhere between 10 and 20 holes. Not a trivial endeavor.

The 67, 68, and 69 Barracuda coupe and convertible trunk lids are the same. Only the holes for the trim and emblems are different depending on the model year. Don't know if that difference extends to holes which may or may not be in the under surface bracing that the exterior sheet metal is attached to.
Many thanks for the reply .. Helps expand my very tough search for quality piece !!!

To clarify: convertible and notch are the same, but all three years are different. The main problem is where the 67 lid has stud holes, the 68 would have exposed painted surface, and vice versa. The 69 panel covers the entire rear surface, so you could use either of the other two lids on a 69 and just have extra holes hidden behind the panel (of course, you might have water intrusion issues if you don't at least fill them with caulk). But otherwise, you would be looking at filling and finishing somewhere between 10 and 20 holes. Not a trivial endeavor.
If I read this correctly, your opinin is that they all fit and accept the trim/emblem, but 67 or 69 will cost me fabrication time at the shop to accept them and make it water-tight?

Also the torsion bars for trunk lid are vert specific too.
Not sure what the torsion bars are. Is that the support structure under the skin? Does it matter if they are different? Will they fit? Given this is a RestMod project, I'm not concerned about the exact year accuracy, but certainly want things to fit properly. So if it is simply a matter that someone who's an expert on the YoY nuances might see the trunk open and noticed a '67 or '69 support structure on my '68 it wouldn't bother me. Bt if it's a fit/operational issue, I do care and hope you can clarify a bit ... many thx!

Deck Lid, Barracuda 1967-1969, Coupe, Bolt On​

BarracudaCoupeDL2.jpg

$560.00

Description​

* High quality fiberglass deck lid
* Fits the 1967, 1968 & 1969 Barracuda
* Hand laid fiberglass for a stronger, more durable, quality product
* We use the highest grade materials
* All molds are adapted from the original part
* Gray gel coat finish is perfect to sand, seal and paint
* Minimal prep time
* Direct Bolt On
* Made in the U.S.A.
Barracuda Coupe bolt on fiberglass deck lid features a detailed underside and reinforcements in hinge and latch areas. Ready to sand, seal and paint with no extra bodywork required. .
Weighs approximately 22 lbs.
Ships via truck freight.
Years:1967, 1968, 1969.

Torsion bars are what lift the decklid.
They are mounted under rear sail panel and run side to side. If you go with a fiberglass lid they wouldnt be needed.
Not sure what the torsion bars are. Is that the support structure under the skin? Does it matter if they are different? Will they fit? Given this is a RestMod project, I'm not concerned about the exact year accuracy, but certainly want things to fit properly. So if it is simply a matter that someone who's an expert on the YoY nuances might see the trunk open and noticed a '67 or '69 support structure on my '68 it wouldn't bother me. Bt if it's a fit/operational issue, I do care and hope you can clarify a bit ... many thx!

-
Back