Differential oil for a 7/1/4” sure grip

-

Chub380

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on oil for a 7/1/4” sure grip in my daughters car, it also clunks pretty bad at times going into reverse is this the rear end failing?

thanks you guys

Usually in a small bottle, just put it all in. Im sure you are giving it an inspection before you refill it.
May have to reset the backlash.

I’ll need my friend for that, that’s out of my wheelhouse I believe I’ll wait to dump till he can come over. Thanks for the tips would you stay away from synthetic I have a few quarts of am soil severe gear I’m guessing that’s probably not a good idea?

I would not use synthetic gear oil in a high miler. The backlash csn be dialed out,but as you said its not in your wheelhouse. There is a minimum/maximum spec, i go for the lower side of the spec,which i can’t remember.
.009 to .014 is what comes to mind,better check a manual.

Warm climate,85/140.
Typical off the shelf 80/90 is generally what i use. Small town so pennzoil is the go to product.

Are you sure the clunk isn't the u-joint? That would be much more likely, and easier to check and fix.

NO SYNTHETIC! My friend had a one man hotrod rearend shop. Only used torco dino oil. Would NOT warrantee his work if the customer insisted on synthetic gear oil!

NO SYNTHETIC! My friend had a one man hotrod rearend shop. Only used torco dino oil. Would NOT warrantee his work if the customer insisted on synthetic gear oil!
Ok thanks for letting me know about the synthetic, I will check the u joints when I jack up the car here before too long, I think I’m going to send the carb over to woodrift and let them do their thing to it, just a little concerned when she’s driving alone, so far she’s been doing great she loves her car

I like the Ford friction modifier. About the best there is.

-
Back