Digging for info - front drum explosion on 727s

-
The high gear drum did not explode then.

The broken extension housing and case were damaged due to the driveshaft coming out.

Last edited:
The high gear drum did not explode then.

The broken extension housing and case was damaged due to the driveshaft coming out.
You are probably correct. It just looked like the damage to the rear yoke was like the driveshaft stop turning abruptly and then broke the bolts on the rear. Thanks for your input.

All this talk makes me want to go with a powerglide…. lol
If you have any questions ask Duster346 Chris Andrews, he is very very helpful. Tim says anyone who can operate a pop up toaster can drive a glide lol

The two I’ve been around were the result of a broken rear gear at the launch. One blew apart the other hit the sprag so hard it split it breaking the case.

The two I’ve been around were the result of a broken rear gear at the launch. One blew apart the other hit the sprag so hard it split it breaking the case.
Yikes

Adding to the discussion, the front band use to be a lot thicker. Now it's just a skinny strap. I can imaging that a thicker metal band being the first line of defence for dissipating the energy from the front drum coming apart.

My friends car mid 90’s. A ton of things wrong in this pict. It was a street car, but the engine was set back like 7“ so tin floor. No blanket, no shield, no clue. It was a RB with a 200kit that never got used. It was on its 2nd pass at the track when all hell broke loose. We were privy to the 2nd gear burnout, but when he left the line just past the 60 and BOOM!! We had to unroll the floor from around his leg. Piece of the drum wiped out the gauges. Dents in the roof and metal stuck in the door panels and ATF everywhere. My buddy walked with a limp for months. We had not a clue this could happen. Chuck Lofgren was racing that day and came by our pit and checked it out. It was the first time we’d met him and he educated us well on what happened. He also told us to check the rear gear and sure enough when we got it home the 8.75 had broken, so there was our chain of events.

IMG_2321.jpeg

-
Back