Why 727's explode

-
Thanks, Steve, I have seen that. VERY informative.

WHY DID I GET UP at 4:45AM? I don't know. Not even 6AM yet I am thinking of going downtown to eat

Thanks, Steve, I have seen that. VERY informative.

WHY DID I GET UP at 4:45AM? I don't know. Not even 6AM yet I am thinking of going downtown to eat
I worked Night shift 7pm-7am for 18 years 52 hrs a week. Retired, I am up every morning at 3:30 -4:30. You don't know how many times I look at the clock and its "3:40" when I wake up. First thing is to drain the bladder and have a coffee. Being its cold out I put on "Motor trend".

Otherwise I get on the golf cart at 5:00 and either go to the shop or over to wake my neighbor up. Most of the time I stop and watch the bear at the dumpster or the deer down at the chickens. There are times I get snowed in and the sleds come out . When you get older winter sucks. Summer time I get on a bike and just ride.

Life gets boring if you don't keep busy. My son lives above the shop yet . So he brings my granddaughter up usually comes up at 8:00 When his wife leaves for work. We watch cartoons. Usually "Dug", Getting old sucks but it does have its benefits. My schedule now is what ever I want to do and when I want to do it.. Usually I do more bullshitting in the garage with customers then getting anything done.

Today the grandsons and granddaughter are coming for the day the oldest is 6

IMG_2097.jpg

100_0022.JPG

100_0023 (2).JPG

DSCN0933.JPG

We had some snow earlier this winter and the PNW snow pack was looking pretty good. But we've had a stretch of dry, and then rain, so I don't know how it is. I have no shop, and the back yard is still an ice rink, so I'm not getting much done.

We had some snow earlier this winter and the PNW snow pack was looking pretty good. But we've had a stretch of dry, and then rain, so I don't know how it is. I have no shop, and the back yard is still an ice rink, so I'm not getting much done.
Get some skates

Great info! I’ve been racing with 727s for over 20 years and have not experienced anything like the explosions shown in the video. But I follow a specific set of guidelines. First the transmission is built right. Always, always, always start burnout in second gear then immediately shift into third. Don’t allow the rear tires to ‘grab’ under power during the roll out. And in the shutdown area I just let the car coast in 3rd, I don’t try to throw it up into neutral. Once the car slows enough via braking, and I turn off onto the return road I’ll upshift into second.

Great info! I’ve been racing with 727s for over 20 years and have not experienced anything like the explosions shown in the video. But I follow a specific set of guidelines. First the transmission is built right. Always, always, always start burnout in second gear then immediately shift into third. Don’t allow the rear tires to ‘grab’ under power during the roll out. And in the shutdown area I just let the car coast in 3rd, I don’t try to throw it up into neutral. Once the car slows enough via braking, and I turn off onto the return road I’ll upshift into second.
My son was looking at one of their Valve bodies. Low , second , Third, Neutral and neutral to reverser with the trans brake button. Cope transmission sells som nice parts. Complete roller bearing and torrington bearings to eliminate all bushing and shims. We have an 500+ engine here for a 70 Dart with the trans rollerized . The owner loves it.

We went yesterday to look at the trans apart for refresh. Steve was measuring what they did for the torringtons. . Some pretty amazing work by cope. Steve decided to just buy the parts we need. Time is money and they have it all figured out. Aluminum drum will be the biggest ticket item.

Yeah nothing like a morning Wiz at 3:40 and then at 4:40 and then at 5:40 and then it's 6:40. Then you can hold off till about 10:00

I do it the exact same way, and I'm doing everything wrong in my car. (At least i know it). No low band apply, no special sprag, no blanket, no good drum. Lucky so far. (I did buy a blanket, just haven't put it on yet).

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want with a manual VB if you are in second or third gear. First gear is the place where damage occurs.

Most people running around on the street SB can use a 904 without issue. Put good clutches/bands/VB in them and go.

If your waking up to take a leak all those times at night it may be time for a trip to see the urologist
Look, nobody I know enjoys getting things shoved up their *** or having a scope put into their dick but with the technology today, the way medicine has improved these procedures can be tolerated well
I just went through them all
So suck it up and do it for your family and loved ones

It's not just the burnouts. If you have a driveline failure before you get into second, you had better check that low roller. If not checked after that type of failure is when it rears its ugly head. With that said, I've basically run junk with MVB and never any issues. But, I absolutely agree and trust what Mr. Cope has to say.

Ive seen converters blow apart but in demolition derby I put these 727s through hell and back. Literally. 6000rpm forward to reverse and back to forward and never touch the brakes. When action is hot no time to let off the throttle. Had them so hot it burned the filter up completely snd trans was so hot it was melting rubber on my boots

If your waking up to take a leak all those times at night it may be time for a trip to see the urologist
Look, nobody I know enjoys getting things shoved up their *** or having a scope put into their dick but with the technology today, the way medicine has improved these procedures can be tolerated well
I just went through them all
So suck it up and do it for your family and loved ones
Lasiks or water pills is what has me peeing at all hours. I've gotten to where I keep a traveling urinal near at hand. Lol

But I do have low band apply vbs and bolt in spags in my 727 and 904.
And I don't stay at motel 6 anymore. To many ants not any uncles.

Last edited:
-
Back