Digging the ratrod look

-
Here's my paint goal. Fauxtina paint job. doesn't look "ratty" per say, but it will be cheap, low maintenance, and unique.
evvjb6toech21.jpg

Thanks man I appreciate that. I am tirelessly working on it every chance I get.

Reminds me of my green 70 Dart Custom, tore it down outside, no shed, carport, or garage, no help either. Pulled the trans out cause it was baked, had a friend that worked in a trans shop rebuild it for me, tore out and replaced the old rotten exhaust, pulled the interior for a thorough cleaning and mouse eviction, rebuilt the brakes, carb, all new ignition, rebuilt the rad, some good used tires, sandblasted and painted the original rallye wheels, and on the road in just over 3 weeks. All done in evenings after work and weekends.

The car is gonna be burnt orange eventually the interior is gonna be white. I painted the dash a dark copper color I think a brown pad will look good with the copper and white. What do you think?

I think that color combo would look sharp! :thumbsup:

Used to could, can't hardly any more!!!
Get' er done!
May favorite. " I don't want to hear the labor pains, I just want to hold the baby"!!!! lol

Man I fall into alot of those categories. Haha I took my car apart 16 years ago to "restore" it I hoarded parts for 14 years and acquired alot of tools and knowledge in the last two that I have been working on it on the weekends when I have the time. Lol no garage no help just me my dog and some good music. Haha I'd say I fall mostly into the first one tho this car has alot of sentimental value to me and I just want to get it back on the road and drive it again
Great thread, I love it and the looks of your car!
I'm all about the I'm going to fix it up one day and enjoy it as is vibe.
Fix it up, make it safe, and drive it is all what I'm all about.
As is/as found in the field is totally cool to me.
BTW, I like natural ''patina'' not ''fake patina'' that a lot of people have gone for.
And no flat or gloss clear coats apply.
That just looks tacky IMHO.
And people have gone out of their way to make it look like that, and it's totally bogus.
Make it safe, make it fun, and enjoy it is my thinking.
What would you done with the car when you were 18 and didn't have a lot of money and wanted to get it on the road and drive it?
Check out the build thread at the bottom of my post to see what I'm talking about, and enjoy and drive the car a lot......
Isn't that what it's all about?
Smiles per gallon?

Man I fall into alot of those categories. Haha I took my car apart 16 years ago to "restore" it I hoarded parts for 14 years and acquired alot of tools and knowledge in the last two that I have been working on it on the weekends when I have the time. Lol no garage no help just me my dog and some good music. Haha I'd say I fall mostly into the first one tho this car has alot of sentimental value to me and I just want to get it back on the road and drive it again

Used to could, can't hardly any more!!!
Get' er done!
May favorite. " I don't want to hear the labor pains, I just want to hold the baby"!!!! lol

To both of you.
I spent a good 45-50 years doing mechanical work, then 40 of that professionally.
Bought all the coolest tools off the trucks and craploads of Craftsman stuff from Sears.
Service manager for Goodyear in Santa Barbara after being certified ASE and ATRA with bumper to bumper driveability certs including 4x4 and even RV.
Service manager and trans builder at the same time (only one paycheck though) for Aamco in CA. specializing in front and rear drive stick shifts, Allison, Mercedes, BMW, and VW automatics.
Moved to AZ with 4 kids and went to work for the best local shop in the area for a year and said "SCREW THIS" so 20 years ago I started training at an Internet Service provider learning everything involved in that business.
2 years later I opened my own computer service business, and this virus crap is going to help kill that.

Nowdays, I use plain old hand tools, no air tools at all and having more relaxing enjoyable fun in my life than ever.

Just last night my Wife Stephanie asked if I was bummed because my new Gopro 8 wasn't here yet for my Youtube channel stuff, and I said "hell no, I have a beautiful Wife that loves me, I don't have to work for a living any more, and I get to drive a classic muscle car every day":D

Really, who could ask for more.

Great thread, I love it and the looks of your car!
I'm all about the I'm going to fix it up one day and enjoy it as is vibe.
Fix it up, make it safe, and drive it is all what I'm all about.
As is/as found in the field is totally cool to me.
BTW, I like natural ''patina'' not ''fake patina'' that a lot of people have gone for.
And no flat or gloss clear coats apply.
That just looks tacky IMHO.
And people have gone out of their way to make it look like that, and it's totally bogus.
Make it safe, make it fun, and enjoy it is my thinking.
What would you done with the car when you were 18 and didn't have a lot of money and wanted to get it on the road and drive it?
Check out the build thread at the bottom of my post to see what I'm talking about, and enjoy and drive the car a lot......
Isn't that what it's all about?
Smiles per gallon?
Thanks man I appreciate it. I'm at that stage where I'm super excited and I'm so close I can feel the excitement rising but I still have alot of work to do. But it feels so good to be putting parts on instead of taking them off.

To both of you.
I spent a good 45-50 years doing mechanical work, then 40 of that professionally.
Bought all the coolest tools off the trucks and craploads of Craftsman stuff from Sears.
Service manager for Goodyear in Santa Barbara after being certified ASE and ATRA with bumper to bumper driveability certs including 4x4 and even RV.
Service manager and trans builder at the same time (only one paycheck though) for Aamco in CA. specializing in front and rear drive stick shifts, Allison, Mercedes, BMW, and VW automatics.
Moved to AZ with 4 kids and went to work for the best local shop in the area for a year and said "SCREW THIS" so 20 years ago I started training at an Internet Service provider learning everything involved in that business.
2 years later I opened my own computer service business, and this virus crap is going to help kill that.

Nowdays, I use plain old hand tools, no air tools at all and having more relaxing enjoyable fun in my life than ever.

Just last night my Wife Stephanie asked if I was bummed because my new Gopro 8 wasn't here yet for my Youtube channel stuff, and I said "hell no, I have a beautiful Wife that loves me, I don't have to work for a living any more, and I get to drive a classic muscle car every day":D

Really, who could ask for more.
Man I had no idea you was old enough to have worked for 50 years lol I always thought you was in your late 40s haha

Man I had no idea you was old enough to have worked for 50 years lol I always thought you was in your late 40s haha

I wish.:D
The funny part now is that I did all that tech work for 20 years and that gave me an advantage on using computers, server systems, Internet related diagnostics and repairs, but had to have my Son show me how to find my comments on Youtube.
I just made stuff work, I didn't use a lot of it myself.:D
Example is the Youtube thing, as it's all pretty new to me as far as actual usage goes.

I can barely spell "computer" it took me a whole year? to learn how to turn it on all by myself!! Does this have anything to do with patina!???/ lol

I was looking at some rat rod and patina car images and my wife saw them and said (with a smile) “I think you old guys have just gotten used to seeing old patina in the bathroom mirror and now think it’s ok on cars too.”

I thought about it for a second and said “Maybe it’s because we have learned to appreciate the patina and the extra special way it makes old things worth hanging on to...kinda like why I hang on to you.”

Then I ducked and ran!

:lol:

I was looking at some rat rod and patina car images and my wife saw them and said (with a smile) “I think you old guys have just gotten used to seeing old patina in the bathroom mirror and now think it’s ok on cars too.”

I thought about it for a second and said “Maybe it’s because we have learned to appreciate the patina and the extra special way it makes old things worth hanging on to...kinda like why I hang on to you.”

Then I ducked and ran!

Good thing you’ve been losing all that weight the past few years! Allows you to move on out in a hurry! She might’ve creamed you a few years ago!

You can add me to the Cosmetically Challenged Car Club! :D like several of y’all, plans are to discreetly fix any rot on the car and put all my money in drivetrain, suspension and interior. I have an HDK front suspension waiting to go in gonna put the mpfi back on the 5.9 magnum hopefully before too long and long term plans are to install a 6.4 Hemi oooorrrr a Hellcat swap would be beast! :D

9806E657-635B-4422-8289-E7A77628DED7.jpeg

You can add me to the Cosmetically Challenged Car Club! :D like several of y’all, plans are to discreetly fix any rot on the car and put all my money in drivetrain, suspension and interior. I have an HDK front suspension waiting to go in gonna put the mpfi back on the 5.9 magnum hopefully before too long and long term plans are to install a 6.4 Hemi oooorrrr a Hellcat swap would be beast! :D

View attachment 1715526482
I just love the looks of your car and especially the fact that you drive it that way!

I get about 50-50 "is that paint original? Man that's cool!" To " ummm, when you gonna paint it?
20200419_112028.jpg

View attachment 1715526482
I love your car tbh I was never a big fan of the patina multi color car until I saw yours. It just has something about it that says yea I'm badass.

Should keep it that way, more of a surprise when you smoke em.
It will probably be like that for a while. At least a year or so. My Hope's are to have it running and and driving by the end of summer. If I can accomplish that I will tag it insure it, drive and enjoy it maybe next spring and summer may start on the body work. Its dont need a ton of body work its pretty straight just alot if stripping and sanding which I severely hate! The drip rails and sail panels are by far the worst as far as needing repairs. The lower quarters need some attention they where rusted out when I bought the car 20 years ago and I cut it out and repaired them with sheet metal,, fiberglass , and bondo I guess my bondo was too thick its starting to crack some.

So I'm seeing you running at end of summer, destroying the unsuspecting, repainting next year and smokin them all over again!

-
Back