Dilemma

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
Ok. Ended up buying a car that I had no intention of doing anything with. I bought it in a package with 2 other cars that are now down in part car section. Thought I was going to help someone get a car done. At any rate, known about these cars for awhile but never done anything. Here is the pickle. Drug all these cars home and this one is a fully numbers matching 1972 Duster MS/PB 340 4spd. Disc brake SBP 8 3/4. Under the hood is intact except the original intake and carb which were in the trunk and replaced with a 2bbl intake. Story I got was that it wasn't running right, trans out to fix, parked and left. Rad support matches motor, door plate, trans housing, and dash.

Quandry...part it? Sell it as is? Go get a title and work on it for the next 10 years? Thoughts?

Attachments

• P1080029.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 522
  • PC270010.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 527
i'd title it and drive the hell out of it just the way it looks.. be cool to see that out and about

Nobody said you would have to work on it for ten years.

Blow it off with a pressure washer, replace the front fender/s and sell it as a numbers matching 340 4 speed car that needs work for $6K :D

Well, maybe not but you get the idea.

Push it up the ramp at Barrett Jackson (Just like it is):D

Anything but parting it

Agreed, if you don't want to or don't have the time to build it, sell it. Someone out there would love to take it on. I know if you were close to me I would be checking it out. White and black is one of my favorite combos.

I have no business building another car right now. I can get some roller tires, clean the dog snot out of it and park it. I truly had no intention of getting another project. Just sitting there rotting so I bundled it.

I once put a 73 340 4speed duster back together that didn't have an engine or trans in it.The car had been sitting a long time before I got it.It took me a year to get it back on the street BUT(the moral of the story) I was driving it around one day and an older guy said "Hey that car used to run around here when I was young!" . He was happy to see it back on the road-it made both our days. The car is still running around our area after 2 other owners and it was 15 years ago that I had it. PLEASE don't part it out!!!

OL Dodge. I don't need the parts. Didn't need the cars. I have known about them for a few years. All just dying in a field. A member contacted me and wanted my buddy to work on his car and put a 340 in it and address some other issues so I bought the cars and he backed out. I am not a parts guy and I have no need of any of it. I have built motors and cars and I am in the middle of building a Demon.

yes sounds simple but it takes $$$ to put these old acrs back on the road, one thing leads to another. you are working on the Demon and $$$ don't grow on NC trees ( only on the West coast when enough water?)....

sell it. let someone else enjoy it. even some of those New England guys could take a road trip to NC, pick up a decent car to work on, that IS work putting $$ into, have have a plate of BB and Brunswick Stew while there!!??? and learn to speak a little southern ( pronoun " y'all correctly??) HA

Either sell as is or get driveable and use it as is. I would bet if you were driving it around like it looks people would be asking if its for sale. Self advertising by driving might bring a good offer.

Non molested original cars are pretty hard to come by these days.
I'd send it to a detailer then put it up for sale if your sure
you don't need another project down the road.
Might be worth a decent amount of bucks if its not all rusty underneath.
I'd like to see more pics.

if you do part it, I could use the SBP front disc brakes

Do everything you can to it for free, clean it, get it running, and if the correct parts come along that it needs at a good price, buy them and put them on! Then sell it to someone who wants to take it from there!!!

put it up for sale, if its not totally rotted it should be given a chance, and someone would surely love to have it, cars like that are getting harder and harder to find, there are to many good cars like that being parted these days. Just my 2 cents

if ya gonna sell it, go ahead and get it titled so all these folks that can't figure it all out or live in a nitpicking state, will have a clear title.

at least you are saving it from a slow death of just sitting out in the weather.

That thing probably needs $7,500 worth of parts and work to get road worthy.. if you don't want to save it, title it (opens up the prospective buyers market), and sell it for a little profit.. maybe document it a little further - find a build sheet if there is one, clean it inside and out, maybe hook up a battery and see if it turns over or see what electrics work and what don't..

There's probably a build sheet in the back seat springs. Another place to look is to take the plastic backs off of the bucket seats, and see if there is one there. Usually, that's the best place to find one in decent shape. Write the VIN down, and go to an NCDMV office and ask to talk to an inspector. He/she can run the number and see if it's clean. If it isn't, be prepared to lie like a S.O.B. about where it is! If it's clean, you can get a bonded title very easily, and pretty cheap. Don't be tempted to go thru Broadway title or the like. I did that about 10 years ago, and had a DMV Inspector in my driveway 6 months later wanting to know WTF ?!?! I said all that to say this......DON"T part that car out!!! It might look rough as a cobb, but it IS a numbers matching car. A thermobog and a trap door air cleaner are easy to find. I know a dude who would probably be willing to trade a trap door air cleaner for some good 70-71 Duster bumper cores! :glasses7:

Numbers matching 340 4 speed car...there should be not even a thought of parting it out. IMO either sell it as-is or tuck it away (inside) for later. Who knows...maybe a few years after finishing the Demon you may get the itch again? You won't have to hunt for a decent project!

-
Back