Dilomat police gearbox in a A body? Will it work?

-

lee g

Reaction score
Sitting around surfing the internet after a recent surgery and I ran across an old Allpar article that talks about installing a Police car gearbox into an older mopar to improve the "slop" in the normal factory gearbox. After looking around even more I say on another site where someone mentioned using a 1989 Dodge Diplomat "police car " gearbox. Has anyone done this? If so is there anything i need to look out for (different fit, different pitman arm)? I am trying to put this on a 72 Dart Swinger.

Yeah. It's a direct bolt in. clhyer has one on his Duster.

It's a direct bolt-it BUT it will not work with your pitman arm as it will be small sector. What you will want is the complete centerlink with idler and pitman arms from a 73-76 a-body.

it's a direct bolt-it but it will not work with your pitman arm as it will be small sector. What you will want is the complete centerlink with idler and pitman arms from a 73-76 a-body.
x2

So I need the center link and a new pitman arm. They just crushed a duster at a local junkyard. I stripped all I needed, didn't pull the center link of course. Was just trying to save money versus a firm feel unit. Guess the firm feel unit is probably closer in price by the time I buy everything else I need. Thanks for all the responses.

Usually junkyard prices on those parts beats Firm Feel's price. The reason for the centerlink change is because there is no pitman arm for a large sector gear box and the early centerlink.

Good to know, soon I will be parting out a mid 80's Gran Fury cop car and will be saving EVERYTHING good and selling off most of it for parts :p

-
Back