Dim Dash Lights

-
Can't see the attachement, so I don't know what you're pointing at. But the round metal doom light with the pointy white plastic cover—the kind that's been in every one of the '63-'74 Darts and Valiants I've ever owned or worked on—takes a bayonet-base bulb № 1004. Maybe a different doom light was used in '75 or '76; I never owned or had occasion to mess with the doom light on one of those cars, but the '74 FPC lists the following doom light parts for all A-bodies no matter what body style:

2292 994 housing
2292 995 lens (diffuser)
1704 875 socket
151 578 bulb (industry/trade № 1004)

That same list of parts is in the '66 FPC, and in the '64, and in the '63 (first year for that style of doom lamp). I can't check '75 or '76; don't have those FPCs to hand.

Can't see the attachement, so I don't know what you're pointing at. But the round metal doom light with the pointy white plastic cover—the kind that's been in every one of the '63-'74 Darts and Valiants I've ever owned or worked on—takes a bayonet-base bulb № 1004. Maybe a different doom light was used in '75 or '76; I never owned or had occasion to mess with the doom light on one of those cars, but the '74 FPC lists the following doom light parts for all A-bodies no matter what body style:

2292 994 housing
2292 995 lens (diffuser)
1704 875 socket
151 578 bulb (industry/trade № 1004)

That same list of parts is in the '66 FPC, and in the '64, and in the '63 (first year for that style of doom lamp). I can't check '75 or '76; don't have those FPCs to hand.

Dan, I agree what you said about the years, I just said 70-74 Dart/Duster to show it was a single plugin type light and not the double ended light.

Ah, okeh, we're on the same page. Only one A-body light of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!
redbeard.gif

Checked and confirmed: Yes, the legitimate/good bulbs are dimmable. this is the white one, this is the amber one (I prefer these for max legibility with min glare) and this is the red one (for red warning lights). Relatively expensive compared to stock filament bulbs or cheap generic LEDs, but you'll never have to replace them again and your dash light rheostat, wires, circuit board, etc will run nice and cool.
Dan, I'm late to this conversation - sorry. So you're saying that these Sylvania bulbs are a direct replacement for the 158 bulbs that illuminate the dash in my 74 Duster? That would be great, because my dash is pretty dim at night. If you do this, do you have to also replace all the other dash bulbs, such as hi beam, oil pressure, turn signal and brake warning? Are these dimmable without damaging the factory headlamp switch?

-
Back