Dim Headlights (STILL)

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
OK guys, I'm still having headlight problems and it's driving me crazy (which I can assure you is a relatively short trip). The headlights are very dim on low beam and only slightly brighter on high beam. At the headlight connector, with the lights on low beam, the voltage is only about 6.5v. But you can probe the high beam wire at the connector with the lights still on low beam and it shows between 10.5 and 11.0v. Why has the high beam wire got nearly battery voltage on it when the lights are on low beam? I've also noticed that the high beam indicator light in the instrument cluster is lit when the lights are on low or high beam which leads me to think it's a ground problem causing a backfeed. It does have a new headlight switch and dimmer switch, but the problem existed with the old ones so nothing has changed. BTW, the headlights are the only lights that are dim. All other lights are bright and functioning properly including the dash lights. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

There is a ground wire that bolts directly to the body between both headlights up front there near the head lights... have you checked that?

I converted mine over to a relays using H4 bulbs .. I got tired of not being able to see at night.

Check the connecters behind the bulbs and there chissis ground found somewhere on the radiater support. Factory doubled the wires at drivers side connecter to feed across to the pass. side so start at the drvs side. Good luck

I did take the ground loose at the radiator support and used some emery cloth to scuff the area where it bolts........no difference.

I had a voltage regulator go bad once and my headlights were real dim.Put on a new regulator and it was fixed..
Jim

-
Back